Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I was reading these forums for a while now, but just registered to get some advice on my (bad) situation. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

First I should tell you about my problematic academic background to be completely honest. I am an international student; who pays overseas fees. I first enrolled in a university in my home country when I was 17, but due to personal problems and severe depression, I dropped out 4 years later, and I had nothing. When I told my parents that I want to turn my life around and come to the UK for a fresh start in my academic life, they agreed to finance me and were very supportive for the whole duration of my UG course. It was a prestigious top-tier uni, and I worked really hard and achieved a 2:1 (missed a first with an overall average of %67). I only graduated from this course last summer. During the same summer, my long term boyfriend moved to the UK and we got married. He has work permit in the UK, but we did not want to risk it by applying for a dependant visa immediately after we got married and I got this crazy idea of doing a MSc degree rather than spending my time siting idly. I knew I was fed up with studying and university environment, but I still did it anyway.

I got accepted in a top UK university for a taught masters degree in finance (computer science based). I studied Computer Science, and stupidly thought that I wanted to specialize in Financial software. The problem now is, that I am really struggling with the Finance part. It's like a foreign language to me, I really don't enjoy it and I dont have any motivation to work on it. I also struggle on Computer Science modules, but this is because the whole course is structured and delivered very badly. Don't get me wrong - I really tried and tried to make things better but I just dont see myself getting any better in any part of this. As I dropped out before in my first university, and wasted 4 years before deciding to drop out, I feel this terrible pressure on me to keep going but it makes me really miserable. Almost every day feels like torture, and I cry every day and night and make life miserable for both myself and my husband.

Finally, I have the courage to admit that this isn't going to work this way. I learned that if I drop out now, I am entitled a refund of 50% of tuition fees (and my parents paid a lot for this course, considering international fee rates). I have talked to them about this, but they dont care for the money and they want me to keep trying even though there is a great chance I will fail terribly. Being older than most of my classmates (mid 20s), still unemployed and inexperienced (except for a short internship); it makes me really depressed to waste more time and money on something that I know is not going to get me anything useful, as I don't see myself graduating with an MSc award. Other alternative is to reduce my workload to 4 15-credit classes only and aim for a PGCert instead, but I am not sure how that is useful and whether it worths half of the tuition fees. I also don't know if UCL issues certificates for my programme, I asked them about this but got no reply yet. As a side note, I currently hold a dependant visa, not a Tier 4, so that is not an issue if I decide to drop out.

There is also the concerns of gaps in my CV. 4 years after graduating from high school, and now about 8 more months after my UG graduation if I drop out. I don't know if someone will hire me with all these gaps.

My mind is about to explode with pros and cons of each alternative. I can't seem to make my mind up and decide. As I said, I would really appreciate any advice on this. And thanks for reading my lengthy post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misha19)
    Hello everyone,

I was reading these forums for a while now, but just registered to get some advice on my (bad) situation. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

First I should tell you about my problematic academic background to be completely honest. I am an international student; who pays overseas fees. I first enrolled in a university in my home country when I was 17, but due to personal problems and severe depression, I dropped out 4 years later, and I had nothing. When I told my parents that I want to turn my life around and come to the UK for a fresh start in my academic life, they agreed to finance me and were very supportive for the whole duration of my UG course. It was a prestigious top-tier uni, and I worked really hard and achieved a 2:1 (missed a first with an overall average of %67). I only graduated from this course last summer. During the same summer, my long term boyfriend moved to the UK and we got married. He has work permit in the UK, but we did not want to risk it by applying for a dependant visa immediately after we got married and I got this crazy idea of doing a MSc degree rather than spending my time siting idly. I knew I was fed up with studying and university environment, but I still did it anyway.

I got accepted in a top UK university for a taught masters degree in finance (computer science based). I studied Computer Science, and stupidly thought that I wanted to specialize in Financial software. The problem now is, that I am really struggling with the Finance part. It's like a foreign language to me, I really don't enjoy it and I dont have any motivation to work on it. I also struggle on Computer Science modules, but this is because the whole course is structured and delivered very badly. Don't get me wrong - I really tried and tried to make things better but I just dont see myself getting any better in any part of this. As I dropped out before in my first university, and wasted 4 years before deciding to drop out, I feel this terrible pressure on me to keep going but it makes me really miserable. Almost every day feels like torture, and I cry every day and night and make life miserable for both myself and my husband.

Finally, I have the courage to admit that this isn't going to work this way. I learned that if I drop out now, I am entitled a refund of 50% of tuition fees (and my parents paid a lot for this course, considering international fee rates). I have talked to them about this, but they dont care for the money and they want me to keep trying even though there is a great chance I will fail terribly. Being older than most of my classmates (mid 20s), still unemployed and inexperienced (except for a short internship); it makes me really depressed to waste more time and money on something that I know is not going to get me anything useful, as I don't see myself graduating with an MSc award. Other alternative is to reduce my workload to 4 15-credit classes only and aim for a PGCert instead, but I am not sure how that is useful and whether it worths half of the tuition fees. I also don't know if UCL issues certificates for my programme, I asked them about this but got no reply yet. As a side note, I currently hold a dependant visa, not a Tier 4, so that is not an issue if I decide to drop out.

There is also the concerns of gaps in my CV. 4 years after graduating from high school, and now about 8 more months after my UG graduation if I drop out. I don't know if someone will hire me with all these gaps.

My mind is about to explode with pros and cons of each alternative. I can't seem to make my mind up and decide. As I said, I would really appreciate any advice on this. And thanks for reading my lengthy post
    I would advice you to stick through it. You started the course, might as well finish it. No education is wasted is what my mum always says! Forget about your age, it's only just a number. Life is a struggle and nothing is easy in life, no matter how hard the course is it would be worth it to try harder than before. Use resources outside your University e.g. youtube, journals, I don't know programming websites etc, anything to aid in your understanding, practical side etc. There's really no harm in trying. You might end up regretting it if you choose to drop out or don't finish the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I think you have a few things to consider here:

Immigration status: if your dependent visa covers you to stay here without working or studying as long as your husband then you should be fine.

Finances: are you guys ok financially if you don't have a job and give up your studies

Your career: what do you want to do and what do you need to do to get there? Are you happy being a homemaker or do you want a career? Will your decisions in this sphere affect either of the two things above?

Finally, just bear in mind that masters courses are not easy. They're a big step up from undergrad degrees and if you struggled with your undergrad degree then are you sure doing a masters is the right thing for you? Do you need the masters for your career? And I tend to agree with the poster above about finishing what you started rather than wasting what you've done so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I think you have a few things to consider here:

Immigration status: if your dependent visa covers you to stay here without working or studying as long as your husband then you should be fine.

Finances: are you guys ok financially if you don't have a job and give up your studies

Your career: what do you want to do and what do you need to do to get there? Are you happy being a homemaker or do you want a career? Will your decisions in this sphere affect either of the two things above?

Finally, just bear in mind that masters courses are not easy. They're a big step up from undergrad degrees and if you struggled with your undergrad degree then are you sure doing a masters is the right thing for you? Do you need the masters for your career? And I tend to agree with the poster above about finishing what you started rather than wasting what you've done so far.
    Thanks for the advice. After considering this with my parents I have already decided to stay on my masters programme, even if I fail eventually.

As a side note, my immigration status allows me to do study, work or do nothing. There is no problem there. However, if I were to drop out from masters course, my plan was to start applying for jobs as soon as possible - sorry I did not make it clear. I already hold a good undergraduate diploma, and I don't want to pursue a career in Finance (my master is on Finance).

ReputationRep:
    Since you've already made a decision, I would only add that you should try to work on your motivation during the Masters to keep you going: Do you intend to go back to your country of origin at some point? Do you intend to stay in the UK? Where would you like to work? Private sector? International agencies? Government? Either way, I think getting the UCL knowldege/credential will be a great edge to accomplish any of that.

I also notice that you may feel a bit lonely at the program: probably most of your classmates have less responsabilities than you do, are not married and probably party more.
    Something similar happened to me a bit of time ago. Since I was not going to become "one of them" again, I expected to share as much as possible with them in class, try to fit in a group for study purposes and go out with them socially every once in a while, making an effort between my responsibilites.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.