Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I hope someone has studied the MSc in Computer Science at Edinburgh and can maybe give me a bit more insight on what it is really like! I currently hold a conditional offer for the MSc (with the condition of gaining a 2:1 in my degree - not too hard). My academic background however is not in CS but in Economics and Management Science. I have done a range of internships with a Software & Technology focus and also studied some CS courses as electives in my degree so it is not like everything is completely new to me.

After seeing their admission policy I was under the impression that they also admit students from non-CS background as Philosophy, Psychology, Maths etc however when looking at many of the courses in the DPRS, I got slightly confused as some of them seem very advanced. I am willing to work very hard but the course descriptions seem a little frightening.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to establish contact with anyone at Edinburgh to discuss this in more detail (I wrote several emails so far), so I'd be really interested how students that took the course in the past found it, especially coming from a non-CS background. But any pointers and help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    alaska.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know as well and congratulations !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LancasterDevil)
    I would like to know as well and congratulations !
    Thank you are you thinking about the course as well?

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for the Cognitive Science program, my background is in Psychology and I too am a little worried about the course content!

I tried to ask at the Open day regarding the Mathematics and programming components but the question wasn't really answered properly except 'look at the course pre-reqs'. I was also told by one of the academics that the 'Intro Java' course isn't really for absolute beginners and more for those who have at least dabbled in programming due to the pace of the course. They recommended doing the module with Python programming in- think it was a Speech/ Language one though so might only be relevant to some courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alaska.)
    Hey everyone,

I hope someone has studied the MSc in Computer Science at Edinburgh and can maybe give me a bit more insight on what it is really like! I currently hold a conditional offer for the MSc (with the condition of gaining a 2:1 in my degree - not too hard). My academic background however is not in CS but in Economics and Management Science. I have done a range of internships with a Software & Technology focus and also studied some CS courses as electives in my degree so it is not like everything is completely new to me.

After seeing their admission policy I was under the impression that they also admit students from non-CS background as Philosophy, Psychology, Maths etc however when looking at many of the courses in the DPRS, I got slightly confused as some of them seem very advanced. I am willing to work very hard but the course descriptions seem a little frightening.

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to establish contact with anyone at Edinburgh to discuss this in more detail (I wrote several emails so far), so I'd be really interested how students that took the course in the past found it, especially coming from a non-CS background. But any pointers and help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    alaska.
    Hey! Sorry to bother you, but I'm in a really similar situation. I've applied to Edinburgh but I didn't do CS at undergrad.

Could I ask you about your experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unaybee)
    Hey! Sorry to bother you, but I'm in a really similar situation. I've applied to Edinburgh but I didn't do CS at undergrad.

Could I ask you about your experience?
    Hi:

I am applying for AI or RS next year and I am currently studying Mathematics with Finance in the University of Manchester. Although I have some programming experience I am still concerned if it would not be sufficient enough to meet the requirement of entry since my UG program is not precisely cs-related. May I ask about your academic background (including the second year result) when applying?
    I'm pretty anxious about my low 2.1 result...
    If you would reply that would mean a lot to me..
    Many thanks!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.