Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could someone please help me with this question:

A pop-up toy consists of a head and sucker of combined mass m=1.5kgm=1.5kg stuck to the top of a light spring of natural length l0=0.30m and spring constant k=250Nm^−1. The centre of mass of the system can be taken to be at the top of the spring. The spring is compressed to length l1=0.10m when the pop-up is stuck to the ground.

What height above the ground does the bottom of the unstretched spring jump to when it is smoothly released?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm stuck on the very same question! Figure it out yet? I'm guessing you are also doing the prep work for the Cambridge physics experience day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DropTheOH-)
    Hey, I'm stuck on the very same question! Figure it out yet? I'm guessing you are also doing the prep work for the Cambridge physics experience day
    Yes I am! No, I'm just going to leave it now and hope it doesn't matter that i've not finished all the questions.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried conservation of energy?

seems you'd be able to calculate the PE stored in the compressed spring and equate it with the GPE of the toy at maximum altitude with the information provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraLovesOtters)
    Yes I am! No, I'm just going to leave it now and hope it doesn't matter that i've not finished all the questions.
    Me too yeah same here, I might have another look tomorrow, hope you enjoy your day! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    have you tried conservation of energy?

seems you'd be able to calculate the PE stored in the compressed spring and equate it with the GPE of the toy at maximum altitude with the information provided.
    I've not covered this topic yet so I'm not sure how to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DropTheOH-)
    Me too yeah same here, I might have another look tomorrow, hope you enjoy your day! X
    You too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraLovesOtters)
    I've not covered this topic yet so I'm not sure how to do that
    really?

PE in a spring is 1/2 kx2 k is the spring constant
    GPE is mgΔh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2016

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.