Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to transfer from another university to Oxbrdige in the 2nd year ? does it matter at which uni you have been ? and what are the requirements?

ReputationRep:
    I think this is on the FAQ pages for Oxbridge admissions websites? Which university do you want to transfer from?
    EDIT: Oxford's position. Cambridge's position.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    I think this is on the FAQ pages for Oxbridge admissions websites? Which university do you want to transfer from?
    EDIT: Oxford's position. Cambridge's position.
    Either glasgow or birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yiannaros95)
    Either glasgow or birmingham.
    So, forgive me if I get this wrong, but you want to apply to glasgow or birmingham, get in to one of those and then somehow transfer to Oxford or Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    If you are up to the standards of studying physics at Cambridge or Oxford, why not just apply there in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    No, I already have offers from birm and glasgow.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Cambridge = no.

"Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.We do have a system of admitting graduates from other universities to do a second undergraduate degree as an affiliated student at Cambridge, in which case the course takes a year less than usual."

ReputationRep:
    No, I already have offers from birm and glasgow.
    If you're up to the oxbridge standard, why not take a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    If you're up to the oxbridge standard, why not take a gap year?
    I've already lost 2 years in the army.

ReputationRep:
    I've already lost 2 years in the army.
    so? if you do really want to go to oxbridge, and are up to their standard then an extra year on your life isn't really going to make a difference tbh, I didn't get into first year university until I was 20 but know many people that are 30+

If you're not really bothered then just take the offer you want from the ones you have

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to transfer from another university to Oxbrdige in the 2nd year ?
    In practical terms, no. Oxford just doesn't allow it and Cambridge only allows it in very exceptional circumstances (note the "very" - not just exceptional circumstantial).

This is likely to mean a reason that is as exceptional as your first university having discovered you are a second Einstein and cannot cope with your precocious talents (and that is unlikely in the extreme), or that you will die if you do not transfer. It will not include the situation of someone who really wanted to go to Cambridge but didn't bother applying in the first instance, or who got rejected and is hoping to get in via the repechage.

Forget it.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got the grades and want to study at Oxbridge then apply there.

What A-levels (or equivalent) and grades do you have?

ReputationRep:
    As with all university transfers, you usually have to meet the same entry requirements as people going in from the first year, so if you have those, then you should obviously apply there from the outset. Universities with some perceived prestige are understandably wary of backdoor attempts at entry and will close that door.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.