Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i'm taking the new course starting from September 2015 but my AS exams are approaching in under 3 months and my teachers have only taught us atomic structure, amount of substance, bonding, kinetics, introduction to organic chemistry and alkanes. They haven't done energetics (that looks like a big topic), chemical equilibria, Le Chatalier's prinicple, alkenes, halogenalkanes and i think there's a couple more aswell (sadly i don't have my textbook handy to tell me this information :s)
    I was wondering, do you think my teachers can teach this in sufficient detail by the end of April or should i start learning some of these in my free time as i noticed i wasnt getting through much compared to Biology where ive almost completed everything and physics where i just need waves to do and that can be done quickly if both my teachers teach it, and i am starting to get worried as i'm not the best at Chemistry anyway and losing a severe number of marks due to not learning the information will ensure I fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    so i'm taking the new course starting from September 2015 but my AS exams are approaching in under 3 months and my teachers have only taught us atomic structure, amount of substance, bonding, kinetics, introduction to organic chemistry and alkanes. They haven't done energetics (that looks like a big topic), chemical equilibria, Le Chatalier's prinicple, alkenes, halogenalkanes and i think there's a couple more aswell (sadly i don't have my textbook handy to tell me this information :s)
    I was wondering, do you think my teachers can teach this in sufficient detail by the end of April or should i start learning some of these in my free time as i noticed i wasnt getting through much compared to Biology where ive almost completed everything and physics where i just need waves to do and that can be done quickly if both my teachers teach it, and i am starting to get worried as i'm not the best at Chemistry anyway and losing a severe number of marks due to not learning the information will ensure I fail.
    It does seem like you have quite a lot to do and you definitely want to leave yourself enough time to revise and do past papers and get an idea of what the examiners are looking for. If you're worried then I'd probably start looking at a lot of the work yourself, that's what I do. I have probably taught myself 90% of what I need to do, if not more. I definitely think there's lot of time for you to start looking at it yourself and they may pick up the pace a little bit now.

ReputationRep:
    Energetics isn't all that big a topic. You do seem a bit behind, but nothing too worrying

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies! after these pre-public examinations i am currently doing i shall ask what order we are learning the topics in. i think i'm gonna lean the topics were doing last and go towards what we are currently doing and when me and the class meet ill spend the rest of the time revising/double checking the information

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.