Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance costs for first car watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at getting a car for once i pass my driving test, but am torn between 2. How much do you think insurance will be on a 1.1 Peugeot 206 (2004) compared to a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (2004-2006) both with around 60k miles? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaizenberg)
    I'm looking at getting a car for once i pass my driving test, but am torn between 2. How much do you think insurance will be on a 1.1 Peugeot 206 (2004) compared to a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (2004-2006) both with around 60k miles? thanks
    Should note i'm 17 y/o so insurance will be sky high no matter the car

ReputationRep:
    This has been covered in so many threads before. Firstly, nobody can give you even a remote figure if we don't know at least:

-Your Age
    -Your Area/Area Type (ie. Rural, Inner City...)

ReputationRep:
    Should note i'm 17 y/o so insurance will be sky high no matter the car
    Ah - posted at the same time as me.

Rule of thumb - take your value of the car, double it, then add £1000.

So a £1500 car could cost in the region of £4,000 a year.

Unlikely to exceed £7,000, unlikely to be less than £3,000. It won't improve much until you turn 21. When I turned 21, my premiums went from £6,850 to £1,100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)

Unlikely to exceed £7,000, unlikely to be less than £3,000. It won't improve much until you turn 21. When I turned 21, my premiums went from £6,850 to £1,100
    That sounds a lot higher than expected! Are you sure you're feeling ok?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds a lot higher than expected! Are you sure you're feeling ok?
    Also i'm rural!

ReputationRep:
    Also i'm rural!
    If you're somewhere with a very low vehicle crime rate, then you may find something down at £2500 if you're very lucky, but as a 17 year old driver with zero no claims bonus, no previous driving experience, that would be a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    Also i'm rural!
    I just ran what I would assume your rough situation to be through a comparison site on the peugeot, here are the cheapest few that came up:

Ingenie - £2,479.18
    Tesco Black Box - £2,653.68
    Insure The Box - £2,771.75
    Admiral Little Box - £3,038.63
    Bell - £3,419.69
    Sainsbury's Bank - £3,830.31
    Admiral - £3,923.39
    Elephant - £4,002.23

The most expensive were Hastings, Insure Wiser and Only Young Drivers, which were £6,297, £6,322 and £6,790 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    I just ran what I would assume your rough situation to be through a comparison site on the peugeot, here are the cheapest few that came up:

Ingenie - £2,479.18
    Tesco Black Box - £2,653.68
    Insure The Box - £2,771.75
    Admiral Little Box - £3,038.63
    Bell - £3,419.69
    Sainsbury's Bank - £3,830.31
    Admiral - £3,923.39
    Elephant - £4,002.23
    Thanks but my friends (in the same position) have got theirs for under £2k? With as low as £1500

ReputationRep:
    I drive a Peugeot 206 and paid £1100 for my insurance. I'm 17 but the car is parked on our drive and I live in a fairly quiet area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baldwel)
    I drive a Peugeot 206 and paid £1100 for my insurance. I'm 17 but the car is parked on our drive and I live in a fairly quiet area
    Thanks, that's a really good deal though, what company may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but my friends (in the same position) have got theirs for under £2k? With as low as £1500
    Do they have a garage that gets locked? Or did they add parents with several years NCB onto their policy?

ReputationRep:
    That's got to be a first! Who's that with?

ReputationRep:
    Do they have a garage that gets locked? Or did they add parents with several years NCB onto their policy?
    Nope and nope, i think its the area tbh, i'm in North Yorkshire and nothing ever happens here

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's a really good deal though, what company may I ask?
    Autosaint, but they were all a similar price. I have a black box though. Best thing to do is just to go on compare the market and get a quote! Find a corsa or Peugeot for sale on auto trader and stick in that reg number for the quote to give yourself an estimate

ReputationRep:
    That's got to be a first! Who's that with?
    Autosaint. None of my friends pay much more than that though; highest I've heard of is about £1800. Must be the area I live in!

ReputationRep:
    Autosaint, but they were all a similar price. I have a black box though. Best thing to do is just to go on compare the market and get a quote! Find a corsa or Peugeot for sale on auto trader and stick in that reg number for the quote to give yourself an estimate
    Ah yeah black box can bring it down a few hundred can't it. Also when i do what you said i get some stupidly cheap quotes from dodgy sites so i'm never sure where to draw the sensible line.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Unlikely to exceed £7,000, unlikely to be less than £3,000.
    It won't improve much until you turn 21. When I turned 21, my premiums went from £6,850 to £1,100
    You are talking s**t.
    Although expensive, most peoples premiums are less than £3500
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its impossible to say. Everyones quotes are different, depending on a lot of factors (e.g. age, where you live, the car, named drivers etc etc).
    Get yourself some quotes.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking at websites that offer black boxes? Can make a huge difference. Think i brought mine down by several hundred, now paying £1.6k/year for a 1.8 Focus.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.