Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else applying for Photography at coventry?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm apply for this year to, when is your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyWinson)
    Hi I'm apply for this year to, when is your interview?
    I've already had mine a few weeks ago! Good luck for yours!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! how did it go? and how did you present your portfolio as I'm on a media course and the tutors don't have a clue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyWinson)
    Thanks! how did it go? and how did you present your portfolio as I'm on a media course and the tutors don't have a clue!
    It went really well thank you, I found out on the day that I got an unconditional offer! I had an A2 sized portfolio folder and presented one photo on each page. It was my first interview so I was really nervous but it was fine! It was a group interview and you basically talked about one of your own pieces, and talked about the other peoples work too, that was all really, along with a tour of the facilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucybed)
    It went really well thank you, I found out on the day that I got an unconditional offer! I had an A2 sized portfolio folder and presented one photo on each page. It was my first interview so I was really nervous but it was fine! It was a group interview and you basically talked about one of your own pieces, and talked about the other peoples work too, that was all really, along with a tour of the facilities
    Excellent! and ah right cheers did you print all of your photos in A2 also?

ReputationRep:
    No I had them quite small, like A4 size ish

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently studying photography at Coventry so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spookman)
    Hi

I am currently studying photography at Coventry so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Hi! Is the course what you expected and are you enjoying it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Is the course what you expected and are you enjoying it?
    The course has exceeded my expectations and I am really enjoying it. It's far more personal than a standard uni course where you attend mass lectures with hundreds of people. The class sizes are much smaller and you find you quickly get to know both the students in your year and the ones in other years.

The course is very open and although art makes up an important aspect and understanding it helps you are free to explore photography however you wish.

In 2014 the photography course became the top photography course in the country (guardian tables) and this is largely down to the commitment by the staff for the students.

Now I will say that the course is hard, very hard. It will likely push you beyond anything you have ever experienced before and during my 2nd year I found I was working 12 or more hours a day juggling so many things but the support is excellent and the lecturers go out of their way to make themselves available to you.

I still find it amazing how much I have developed over the last 2 years and I would recommend anyone to study photography here, you will not regret it.

ReputationRep:
    The course has exceeded my expectations and I am really enjoying it. It's far more personal than a standard uni course where you attend mass lectures with hundreds of people. The class sizes are much smaller and you find you quickly get to know both the students in your year and the ones in other years.

The course is very open and although art makes up an important aspect and understanding it helps you are free to explore photography however you wish.

In 2014 the photography course became the top photography course in the country (guardian tables) and this is largely down to the commitment by the staff for the students.

Now I will say that the course is hard, very hard. It will likely push you beyond anything you have ever experienced before and during my 2nd year I found I was working 12 or more hours a day juggling so many things but the support is excellent and the lecturers go out of their way to make themselves available to you.

I still find it amazing how much I have developed over the last 2 years and I would recommend anyone to study photography here, you will not regret it.
    Thank you so much, this is an amazing answer! How much guidance would you say you receive from the tutors and how often are you expected to work completely independently? I am concerned about the workload, however I definately don't want an 'easy' course! Also, are you expected to understand how to work a digital camera on a manual setting from the beginning or are there workshops or tutorials on how to use the equipment? Thank you again for such a detailed reply!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, this is an amazing answer! How much guidance would you say you receive from the tutors and how often are you expected to work completely independently? I am concerned about the workload, however I definately don't want an 'easy' course! Also, are you expected to understand how to work a digital camera on a manual setting from the beginning or are there workshops or tutorials on how to use the equipment? Thank you again for such a detailed reply!
    During the first year the tuition is very hands on. You will attend lectures at least twice a week which will run all day.

You will receive some basic instruction on the use of a camera including how to use it in manual. The course is designed so even if you are not coming from a photographic background you can still succeed. They want students based on their creative potential not their academic or photographic ability but once you have basic instruction you are expected to go and improve your skills in your own time. During the first year most students are making the transition between college and uni and don't actively engage independent study but the course cleverly changes you during that first year.

By the end of the first year you will have found that you both want and need independent study and happily spend time improving your knowledge. By the second year this becomes more important but also starts to become second nature and that's when they take everything up a level.

It is always challenging but it is possible to coast through if you wanted, I watched students cram an entire module into the last week and still get a 2:1 during the first year, however if you want a first that takes more effort.

In the 2nd year you do more modules with more tutors but less class time with each. This means you have to manage the amount of time you spend on each module, they give you the basic skills to be able to pass and its up to you how far you take it.

At times you are going to find things you don't like, I hated web design for example and just passed but loved other modules.

Don't worry about the work load, any uni is going to make you work harder, Coventry however will teach you to work smarter.

Before going to to Coventry I would have struggled to write a 1000 words on my favourite subject, now I feel I could write a book about anything they threw at me.

ReputationRep:
    During the first year the tuition is very hands on. You will attend lectures at least twice a week which will run all day.

You will receive some basic instruction on the use of a camera including how to use it in manual. The course is designed so even if you are not coming from a photographic background you can still succeed. They want students based on their creative potential not their academic or photographic ability but once you have basic instruction you are expected to go and improve your skills in your own time. During the first year most students are making the transition between college and uni and don't actively engage independent study but the course cleverly changes you during that first year.

By the end of the first year you will have found that you both want and need independent study and happily spend time improving your knowledge. By the second year this becomes more important but also starts to become second nature and that's when they take everything up a level.

It is always challenging but it is possible to coast through if you wanted, I watched students cram an entire module into the last week and still get a 2:1 during the first year, however if you want a first that takes more effort.

In the 2nd year you do more modules with more tutors but less class time with each. This means you have to manage the amount of time you spend on each module, they give you the basic skills to be able to pass and its up to you how far you take it.

At times you are going to find things you don't like, I hated web design for example and just passed but loved other modules.

Don't worry about the work load, any uni is going to make you work harder, Coventry however will teach you to work smarter.

Before going to to Coventry I would have struggled to write a 1000 words on my favourite subject, now I feel I could write a book about anything they threw at me.
    It sounds like such an amazing course! Do you know about the erasmus/ year abroad and what you do on that year (is it studying at another university, work placement etc..?)

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like such an amazing course! Do you know about the erasmus/ year abroad and what you do on that year (is it studying at another university, work placement etc..?)
    I do know about the Erasmus year as I am currently writing this from Madrid!

Coventry activity encourages as many students as it can to apply to take a year abroad and the majority of students who do apply get to experience something that most people will never get a chance too.

I could not speak highly enough of the Erasmus scheme and I am currently studying at Universidad Carlos III in the subjects of Journalism, Media and Comminications and Art history.

You have an option to either study or work abroad, most people chose to study and the majority come to Spain but there are many other options and you can go as far as China or America but once you are outside Europe the costs increase but the benefits don't.

International experience on your CV is pivotal in elevating yourself to the top of the graduate pile and has more importance than the grade you get these days. With thousands of grads leaving with firsts only a few hundred leave with international experience.

Coventry as a university is fully supportive of getting as many students international experience as it can and also has a global leaders program for the top academic students, if you get an invite to it then do join as it leads to many other excellent lectures and international opportunities too.

My only caution here is that with the referendum this year it may have a dramatic effect on the international options available. If the vote is to leave Europe then I can see this being the end of the Erasmus scheme for UK students however, nothing is set in stone.

All being well, then at the start of your first year you will get a presentation on the Erasmus scheme but you can't do anything until year 2. However take the time to convince your parents, your pets and your neighbours that you want to do it and take the plunge. It's hard to put into words how much living abroad will change you but if you are in Europe then you are always only a couple of hours from home and it's easy to pop back for a visit, besides once you are abroad your family will be use it as an excuse for a holiday every few weeks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I do know about the Erasmus year as I am currently writing this from Madrid!

Coventry activity encourages as many students as it can to apply to take a year abroad and the majority of students who do apply get to experience something that most people will never get a chance too.

I could not speak highly enough of the Erasmus scheme and I am currently studying at Universidad Carlos III in the subjects of Journalism, Media and Comminications and Art history.

You have an option to either study or work abroad, most people chose to study and the majority come to Spain but there are many other options and you can go as far as China or America but once you are outside Europe the costs increase but the benefits don't.

International experience on your CV is pivotal in elevating yourself to the top of the graduate pile and has more importance than the grade you get these days. With thousands of grads leaving with firsts only a few hundred leave with international experience.

Coventry as a university is fully supportive of getting as many students international experience as it can and also has a global leaders program for the top academic students, if you get an invite to it then do join as it leads to many other excellent lectures and international opportunities too.

My only caution here is that with the referendum this year it may have a dramatic effect on the international options available. If the vote is to leave Europe then I can see this being the end of the Erasmus scheme for UK students however, nothing is set in stone.

All being well, then at the start of your first year you will get a presentation on the Erasmus scheme but you can't do anything until year 2. However take the time to convince your parents, your pets and your neighbours that you want to do it and take the plunge. It's hard to put into words how much living abroad will change you but if you are in Europe then you are always only a couple of hours from home and it's easy to pop back for a visit, besides once you are abroad your family will be use it as an excuse for a holiday every few weeks anyway.
    Wow, that sounds amazing! So you don't study photography abroad, you study another subject? Do you live in the uni accommodation over there or are you expected to find your own place, also are there other people from Coventry who go abroad at the same time with you, or do you meet up with the students over there?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that sounds amazing! So you don't study photography abroad, you study another subject? Do you live in the uni accommodation over there or are you expected to find your own place, also are there other people from Coventry who go abroad at the same time with you, or do you meet up with the students over there?
    With accommodation it is your choice. I found my own place to live in the centre of Madrid but others opted for halls of residence. The one you choose will depend on where you want to go.

I don't study photography here, if I really wanted to then it was possible but Coventry have a unique approach to Erasmus. Their emphasis is on emerging yourself in the whole cultural experience of living abroad and want you to explore every aspect including travel. The studying, although important is secondary to this so there is no pressure on choosing a subject you are strong in. In fact it is a great opportunity to study different subjects that you are interested in or may help your future career, after all it would look good on any CV to say whilst obtaining a Photography degree you also studied X,Y and Z at degree level.

As for friends, some of my class mates went to Sweden together whilst I came here alone but have met other students here from Coventry that I did not know before and also students from all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    With accommodation it is your choice. I found my own place to live in the centre of Madrid but others opted for halls of residence. The one you choose will depend on where you want to go.

I don't study photography here, if I really wanted to then it was possible but Coventry have a unique approach to Erasmus. Their emphasis is on emerging yourself in the whole cultural experience of living abroad and want you to explore every aspect including travel. The studying, although important is secondary to this so there is no pressure on choosing a subject you are strong in. In fact it is a great opportunity to study different subjects that you are interested in or may help your future career, after all it would look good on any CV to say whilst obtaining a Photography degree you also studied X,Y and Z at degree level.

As for friends, some of my class mates went to Sweden together whilst I came here alone but have met other students here from Coventry that I did not know before and also students from all over the world.
    Thats really great, the erasmus scheme was one of the main reasons i chose Coventry! Going back to studying at Coventry, what is the typical structure of a module? Currently i'm studying A level photography so I mainly just get a brief that I then have to respond and develop throughout a certain time. What sort of 'style' is the work, do you have sketchbooks etc that you work in? are they usually quite short projects etc etc..?

ReputationRep:
    The module structure can vary, most are similar to what you describe, you get a brief and then the rest is up to you. In the first year there will be a lot more scheduled contact time with the lecturers so you can discuss your progress. There are also workshops arranged which you can attend that will teach other skills.

Each module last around 6 weeks and you generally have 2 to work on at a time. There is also a year long (from the 2nd year) module which is often a mix of cross (media) department group based work and individual tasks.

We do not work in sketchbooks, we all have internet blogs and we post our work and research to these. As there is a lot of software and digitally based work the university has provided laptops to each student on loan for the duration and you get to keep them if you graduate. However this is currently under review so may change but it is likely there will be something in place.

If you google Coventry University Photography blogs you should find lots to look at and that should give you an understanding of the work but there is a link to mine below.

It's not updated much at the moment and only with work I am doing here in Spain but if you go back to the start you will see when I began as a first year.

https://leemorley.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else applying for Photography at coventry?
    What a waste of Taxpayer's money smh smh.

ReputationRep:
    The module structure can vary, most are similar to what you describe, you get a brief and then the rest is up to you. In the first year there will be a lot more scheduled contact time with the lecturers so you can discuss your progress. There are also workshops arranged which you can attend that will teach other skills.

Each module last around 6 weeks and you generally have 2 to work on at a time. There is also a year long (from the 2nd year) module which is often a mix of cross (media) department group based work and individual tasks.

We do not work in sketchbooks, we all have internet blogs and we post our work and research to these. As there is a lot of software and digitally based work the university has provided laptops to each student on loan for the duration and you get to keep them if you graduate. However this is currently under review so may change but it is likely there will be something in place.

If you google Coventry University Photography blogs you should find lots to look at and that should give you an understanding of the work but there is a link to mine below.

It's not updated much at the moment and only with work I am doing here in Spain but if you go back to the start you will see when I began as a first year.

https://leemorley.wordpress.com
    Ive had a look at your blog and I love the idea of the summer project before you get to uni! Do you think a similar thing will happen this year or not, maybe different tasks?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.