Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I would like to know some impressions regarding the courses provided by University of Essex. I want to pursue the subject of International Relations and German. What do you think? Is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diana Jalea)
    Hi! I would like to know some impressions regarding the courses provided by University of Essex. I want to pursue the subject of International Relations and German. What do you think? Is it worth it?
    Hi!
    I am a current student at Essex and as far as I know the university offers a BA in International Relations and Modern Languages
    The degree is contained of 3 years including year abroad. You have the chance to choose to learn two languages, where the level of learning of each of the languages increases per year respectively. You can choose among a variety of languages such as French, Spanish, German (the one that you want), Portuguese, and Mandarin Chinese

Although I study law, I can say that it really sounds interesting and I would say that you should go for it! I have a friend that she is in her second year of studies in International Relations and she has done many things so far thanks to ther degree (placements, internships etc)

Hope that helps!
    ^andriana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andriana16)
    Hi!
    I am a current student at Essex and as far as I know the university offers a BA in International Relations and Modern Languages
    The degree is contained of 3 years including year abroad. You have the chance to choose to learn two languages, where the level of learning of each of the languages increases per year respectively. You can choose among a variety of languages such as French, Spanish, German (the one that you want), Portuguese, and Mandarin Chinese

Although I study law, I can say that it really sounds interesting and I would say that you should go for it! I have a friend that she is in her second year of studies in International Relations and she has done many things so far thanks to ther degree (placements, internships etc)

Hope that helps!
    ^andriana
    Thank you for your quick response! I am glad to hear that Essex is a good university. Still, I am a little bit confused because I have been hearing a lot of things about this university not being worth the time and I do not know if I should take them as rumours or as facts. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the value of the teachers? I mean, how is their approach towards students? Do they get involved, show their interest or do they simply perform their jobs feeling constrained and giving homework without explaining properly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diana Jalea)
    Thank you for your quick response! I am glad to hear that Essex is a good university. Still, I am a little bit confused because I have been hearing a lot of things about this university not being worth the time and I do not know if I should take them as rumours or as facts. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the value of the teachers? I mean, how is their approach towards students? Do they get involved, show their interest or do they simply perform their jobs feeling constrained and giving homework without explaining properly?
    Hey,
    No worries! Glad to help
    About the rumours, I can respect the fact that each person/student has their own opinion about the university, and this opinion might come from their experience or from things they heard from others, however I don't know how trustworthy these words can be. I can tell you my experience which is 100% real

It depends on the lecturer and tutor how their teaching approach will be. The teaching method is really good so far, I mean, lectures, suggested books and material, support from the tutorials. The lecturers are open to answer every question and are willing to help, either through email or from a meeting at their office. I have done this a million times and it really helped me in the exams and coursework! Besides this is their job right? I can assure you that I am very satisfied with my lecturers' behaviour and apporach - dissapointing experiences will occur as always, but it doesn't mean everyone is like anyone else!

Hope that helps!
    ^andriana

P.S.: Sorry about the late reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andriana16)
    Hey,
    No worries! Glad to help
    About the rumours, I can respect the fact that each person/student has their own opinion about the university, and this opinion might come from their experience or from things they heard from others, however I don't know how trustworthy these words can be. I can tell you my experience which is 100% real

It depends on the lecturer and tutor how their teaching approach will be. The teaching method is really good so far, I mean, lectures, suggested books and material, support from the tutorials. The lecturers are open to answer every question and are willing to help, either through email or from a meeting at their office. I have done this a million times and it really helped me in the exams and coursework! Besides this is their job right? I can assure you that I am very satisfied with my lecturers' behaviour and apporach - dissapointing experiences will occur as always, but it doesn't mean everyone is like anyone else!

Hope that helps!
    ^andriana

P.S.: Sorry about the late reply!
    No problem! Thank you once more for offering me your advice. I will consider more carefully their proposal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.