Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have offers from both but for different courses.
    I've always had my heart set on Biochemistry, and Bristol is such a great city, I loved the department and it's all round amazing. However, I recently got an offer from Durham - I love the college system, formals, hall dinners, oxbridge-like terms, the whole lifestyle - but it's for Biomed (as they don't offer Biochem) and I only realised recently how much I don't want to do Biomed as the course is very much Biology. Biochemistry contains a lot of Chemistry which I absolutely love! Both are the same grades btw... really stuck on what to do. It's basically a matter of choosing the course I love or the lifestyle I want! Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by mechanism)
    I've always had my heart set on Biochemistry, and Bristol is such a great city, I loved the department and it's all round amazing. However, I recently got an offer from Durham - I love the college system, formals, hall dinners, oxbridge-like terms, the whole lifestyle - but it's for Biomed (as they don't offer Biochem) and I only realised recently how much I don't want to do Biomed as the course is very much Biology. Biochemistry contains a lot of Chemistry which I absolutely love! Both are the same grades btw... really stuck on what to do. It's basically a matter of choosing the course I love or the lifestyle I want! Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    Course > "lifestyle" (whatever "lifestyle" means...)

ReputationRep:
    I go to Durham now and can tell you that the course for biomed and biology is the same in first year and every student has the option to switch courses at the end of the first year. So if you wanted you could switch to biology and then choose mostly the biochemistry modules eg biochemistry, cell, structure, function etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Course > "lifestyle" (whatever "lifestyle" means...)
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd be fooling myself if I chose to study a course I don't want to do.
    What I mean is Bristol and Durham are (obviously) very different in terms of what they offer as Universities... Durham offers the college system and that kind of uni life, whereas Bristol is a city uni (vibrant, range of things to do, nothing like Durham). They really aren't comparable in that respect! Which is why I'm fairly stuck... but you're right. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Before I received the email about my college arrangement, I really wanna go to durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flamehallow182)
    I go to Durham now and can tell you that the course for biomed and biology is the same in first year and every student has the option to switch courses at the end of the first year. So if you wanted you could switch to biology and then choose mostly the biochemistry modules eg biochemistry, cell, structure, function etc.
    Yeah I get that but it's not quite the same, plus I wouldn't want to spend a whole year doing Biology!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get that but it's not quite the same, plus I wouldn't want to spend a whole year doing Biology!
    Well it sounds like you have made up your mind then....

ReputationRep:
    I studied at Durham, and I now live in Bristol.

Durham's absolutely amazing. I loved it - the fancy traditional bits (not so many as you might think, actually), and the not so fancy bits.

But don't go if your not convinced about the course. It's just not worth it. You won't enjoy the formals, or the collegiate system, or the anything else if you're spending your time miserable (I exaggerate for effect...) because you're not happy with the course.

But hey, you're in luck - it turns our Bristol's an amazing city too! It might not have formals, but it does have the Jason Donervan (seriously, this is a good thing), a lively city, loads, and loads and loads of societies, and it's super well connected to other places.

Believe me, from Durham you can basically go to Newcastle or York. Or Chester-le-Street if you really felt a desperate urge. Or Manchester if you could dare to tackle the inappropriately named Transpennine Express...

Pick a course you love, and a campus you like. Give it half a year, and you won't want to be anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flamehallow182)
    Well it sounds like you have made up your mind then....
    Looks like I have tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taemon)
    I studied at Durham, and I now live in Bristol.

Durham's absolutely amazing. I loved it - the fancy traditional bits (not so many as you might think, actually), and the not so fancy bits.

But don't go if your not convinced about the course. It's just not worth it. You won't enjoy the formals, or the collegiate system, or the anything else if you're spending your time miserable (I exaggerate for effect...) because you're not happy with the course.

But hey, you're in luck - it turns our Bristol's an amazing city too! It might not have formals, but it does have the Jason Donervan (seriously, this is a good thing), a lively city, loads, and loads and loads of societies, and it's super well connected to other places.

Believe me, from Durham you can basically go to Newcastle or York. Or Chester-le-Street if you really felt a desperate urge. Or Manchester if you could dare to tackle the inappropriately named Transpennine Express...

Pick a course you love, and a campus you like. Give it half a year, and you won't want to be anywhere else.
    Thanks a lot Based on this, it looks like I'll be happiest at Bristol (as I'll be studying exactly what I want to study). Plus, I've visited Bristol twice and loved it! I stayed with my friend who is currently studying there. I know that if I visit Durham I'll fall in love with the college and everything else but it's not worth it if I don't like the course. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    dont know too much about the courses but i would head to bristol. lovely scenery and top uni

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.