Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Basically, I'm finding it difficult to overcome exam nerves. For example, today we had a mock and I was so scared and I didn't even know why. When I lifted up my pen, my hand was shaking so much and it just threw me off and I made some stupid mistakes because of exam nerves. What I am worried about is that if this is what happens on a mock, what will happen when the GCSE's begin! Please give me any advice as I just don't want to lose marks when I have revised so much but my nerves get the better of me. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leopard923)
    Hi there,
    Basically, I'm finding it difficult to overcome exam nerves. For example, today we had a mock and I was so scared and I didn't even know why. When I lifted up my pen, my hand was shaking so much and it just threw me off and I made some stupid mistakes because of exam nerves. What I am worried about is that if this is what happens on a mock, what will happen when the GCSE's begin! Please give me any advice as I just don't want to lose marks when I have revised so much but my nerves get the better of me. Thanks in advance.
    You obviously need to be prepared for it and not leave revision too late so start now. Make sure you eat a good nutrtious break fast with slow releasing carbs like weeatbix and oatmeal. Before your given the paper take a slow deep breath. Get in the 'zone' of intense focus. Keep some water and tissues with you. My palms get quite sweaty so i keep a tissue nearby. Listen to some music before the exam to get calm. Keep positive!

ReputationRep:
    Everybody gets nervous before exams, don't worry. I actually used to throw up every morning before an exam simply due to nerves.

My main advice would be to train yourself to become more used to it. It might help to take past papers at home in complete exam conditions as often as possible. This way you're revising at the same time as learning to cope with the pressure of taking the exam, which will hopefully help with your nerves. Plus, by getting used to the exam format you'll avoid any panic that could occur in the actual exam as you'll know exactly how the paper is structured.

Something else that really helped me was to picture myself succeeding. I know it sounds really cringey and cliche but imagining myself acing the exam I was about to sit and telling myself that I really could genuinely helped me with my nerves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    You obviously need to be prepared for it and not leave revision too late so start now. Make sure you eat a good nutrtious break fast with slow releasing carbs like weeatbix and oatmeal. Before your given the paper take a slow deep breath. Get in the 'zone' of intense focus. Keep some water and tissues with you. My palms get quite sweaty so i keep a tissue nearby. Listen to some music before the exam to get calm. Keep positive!
    Thanks for thisthe tissues are a really good idea as my hands get quite sweaty too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JStimo)
    Everybody gets nervous before exams, don't worry. I actually used to throw up every morning before an exam simply due to nerves.

My main advice would be to train yourself to become more used to it. It might help to take past papers at home in complete exam conditions as often as possible. This way you're revising at the same time as learning to cope with the pressure of taking the exam, which will hopefully help with your nerves. Plus, by getting used to the exam format you'll avoid any panic that could occur in the actual exam as you'll know exactly how the paper is structured.

Something else that really helped me was to picture myself succeeding. I know it sounds really cringey and cliche but imagining myself acing the exam I was about to sit and telling myself that I really could genuinely helped me with my nerves.
    Wow omg throw up! That must have been horrible! Thanks for the advice- I like the last idea especially lol

ReputationRep:
    just think " **** it, if I do good I do good, if I don't then I don't"

not the end of the world m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    just think " **** it, if I do good I do good, if I don't then I don't"

not the end of the world m8
    True lol thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.