Why is being a feminist considered to be so bad? Watch

caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
What rights do women not have that men do in the uk?
No takers?
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
No takers?
It's surprising how often they say they have less rights but when asked not one can answer the question.
caravaggio2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's usually "we don't have the right to walk down the road without getting cat called unlike men." etc. as it where, cultural rights, all of which can be countered by things where men are disadvantaged. See that's the thing, both men and women face plenty of disadvantages.
But I have yet to see a list of legal rights (which is what I assume you are asking for) where women are disadvantaged.
caravaggio2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
12hrs....still no takers.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because feminism as an ideology is bad.
crumblypie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe equality between men and women is a fight that has already been won. We have the same rights and there are no discriminatory laws based on gender. I see no need for feminism, sometimes I think feminism is destructive in the sense that some women think women should be out working and doing stuff men traditional did in the family and find the idea of a woman wanting to stay home and raise a child and do basic housework and prepare food for the family and her husband who loves her and provides income and lets her buy nice pretty clothes or a designer handbag to be the result of an oppressive society and not free will and historically what has worked out pretty well. I get it, you want men and women to be valued equally. But I also think most feminists (not just radical) believe they are the oppressed minority fighting the proverbial old white republican male that watches Fox News and owns a business that doesn't hire as many women and the ones that make it in are payed less and sexually harrassed publicly by all her male bosses. When actually almost (a very very large almost) all people today believe in gender equality (talking 1st world countries). I also believe that there can't be a Muslim feminist. If your holy book encourages ("lightly") beating your wife (who can be of any age, even 6, in Mohammad the holiest of prophets case) because she doesn't want to sleep with you, how can you say you want gender equality and follow such a religion. You can say it's only 1 or 3 lines in the whole book or it's taken out of context, but I'd call you biased and say you haven't read (even just a little bit) of the Quran. Feel free to think otherwise, my opinion is the unpopular one because it's seen as intolerant towards muslims (which doesn't make any sense it's their holy book). Or have a friendly debate, I'd like to hear a feminists point of view on Islamic beliefs about women. (40 minutes on this 1 comment goodnight)
NonIndigenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'll unpack your comment a small piece at a time. Pls don't take offense at any of it:

(Original post by cookiemonster15)
Ok, so I know that there are an extreme group of females (radical feminists) who want to overpower men and all that stuff but that does not necessarily mean all feminists are like that!
Yes, there are 1st wave, 2nd wave, and 3rd wave feminists. The 3rd wave feminists are often thought of as... crazy. I won't get bogged down in the definitions of what those are because people just change them every time it doesn't fit their arguments and I'm bored of it.

I am a feminist myself and pride myself in being one. I would class myself as being under the dictionary meaning of a feminist 'someone who want equal rights for both sexes'
This is the bottleneck that is causing lots of tension between people. What are "equal rights"? How are "equal rights" administered when you have one social group outperforming another in some aspects, and not in others? Do they have the same "equal rights" to the same jobs, despite having different aptitudes for those jobs?

There is a faction of, no other word for it: imbeciles (yes, retreat into your turtle shells those of you reading this), that have been pushing the argument that men and women are cognitively no different from one another. This allows them to then argue, that since there are no differences between men and women in aptitude ( which is false)... all differences in incomes, status, etc., must then be attributable to "unequal rights" or "oppression", entirely overlooking the fact that men and women, are in fact, different.

Some have even been pushing the idea that there aren't even any physical differences. You can't even parody this sht. This is the realm of madness. I'll admit, these "feminists" are on the fringe. The ones described in the paragraph before, are pretty common in universities though. It is just ridiculous.

The scientific debate isn't the main focus of this thread though, so I won't elaborate here. I'll only say that men and women do have different aptitudes, and both are important in their own contexts. Without either, the f**kng race wouldn't survive.

No I do not want to see the elimination of all males. I am not anti-male and I doubt many of the feminists are

However all I see on here is people blaming feminists for everything. I can barely even utter the fact that I am a feminist without people cowering away from me. It seems to be especially bad on this site where I see irrelevant things being blamed on feminists or seeing crap how the first thing a guy looks for is a girl who is not a feminist and has to 'make them a sandwich whenever they feel like it'
The internet hosts the hidden side of humanity that doesn't reveal itself in public, often for fear of ridicule or being ostracized. Built-up frustration is released, not always reflecting someone's true character, as it is often done to compensate only those views which those people feel they cannot express in public. There simply isn't need to compensate for those views, which you can already express.

Some of those comments will obviously be in awful taste and immature as hell, but I'm not entirely convinced that it reflects those peoples' characters. It's like when you go to the gym after a bad day at work.

And some of it is just done for laughs. When you're dealing with the kinds of loons that I described earlier, that are especially easy to "trigger"... they really set themselves up for this sort of treatment.

Well, sorry, I'm not going to sit here and make you a sandwich for the pure reason that you demanded one

So why is it overblowing and made to be seen as if it is the worst thing anyone could be? What is so bad about wanting to have equal rights for males and females?
Kind of already answered that.

People are just being so blinded by the media lately and I really don't see why something so small needs to be blown up into such proportion that people end up disliking feminists altogether.
This. I need to understand better what you mean by this. What media, exactly? Almost every mainstream news channel I've watched leans significantly more in favor of feminists than against. Sure, occasionally they invite some guest that will challenge it, maybe even throw a few insults, just for the drama and views... but these are mostly nothing more than guests.

All I am saying is, maybe people should just stop jumping to the wrong conclusions every time someone says that they are feminist. Your viewpoint of feminism might be completely different to theirs so instead of generalising all feminists into the same category you could give them the benefit of the doubt and not bash them for having their own opinions.
Well, elaborate on what further 'equal rights' you believe are actually necessary to implement in society. I won't necessarily disagree with you. I just need to see, like, some actual logic. There are feminist arguments that are more convincing, and they are technically grounded in more facts than some of the banal examples I gave... such as that men get paid more because society's been structured a certain way for generations and even centuries, mostly by men, so is inherently biased in favor of men, and if it weren't for that women would be paid equal. Maybe. I'm prepared to listen to reason.

But the solutions also need to be constructive. Simply saying "something sucks" whilst having little better options to replace it with (like communism)... don't work. Sometimes life just isn't fair, and going 200 years back to "restructure society" could end up destroying it entirely instead. No doubt, we could probably rebuild London to be a more efficient and green city if it happened to be leveled by a terrorist attack tomorrow, and we could do it faster than by demolishing buildings one-by-one. But something is wrong with that plan, no?
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Name:  feminism and equitable relations.png
Views: 15
Size:  255.5 KB
FrankGary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why are people actually talking saying they are feminists because they want women to have the same rights as men. I want to know of a single right - by law - that men have and women don't.
The gender pay gap is not real. Women and men in the same position, in the same company, working the same amount of hrs will get the same pay. Period.
My statements - obviously - are based on the west. In other parts of the world(the middle east etc) there is gender discrimination.

Edit***
Had no idea this was 2 years old(why was it on my feed?)
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JackEDeakin)

The pay gap is real, women literally earn less per hour and are in less executive positions.
That's because of the choices women make. They're more likely to take time off work to go on holiday, more likely to take time off work due to sickness, more likely to agree to an average salary rather than demand a pay rise in comparison to men, more likely to choose a job with less working hours - all of these factors, as well as others, mean that females in general have less of an opportunity to climb up the ladder in the work place and therefore earn more money. It's not anyone's fault but their own. The pay gap is not real.
G-Wizzle
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because some people are ignorant and dumb as hell
Monkey say
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You really need to ask? Feminists hate men.
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It ain't, I didn't even know it was considered a bad thing until I entered the magical world of the internet forums. Bitterness galore.
pottah
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think it’s because there are many different ideologies under the umbrella term of “feminism”, who all claim to represent it, e.g. TERFs, feminism typical of rich white women or misandrist feminism. While in its purest definition the word just means “equality of the sexes”, the terms been adopted by so many different groups of people that it’s hard to take seriously.

That being said, I’m still a feminist, I just unfortunately feel the need to qualify that with “but not of those feminists”.
Morganrosen
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I wonder this too, I think it's just not taken seriously enough. Everyone obsesses over the negatives and the extremes of feminism when really all we want is to be equal, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Men don't always believe in feminism, they are ignorant to the ways in which society is sexist and that's probably due to the fact that it's all they've known. They've grown up and been treated differently to females due to the social construct which is gender, and been fed views and taught how to act and behave so they would never think its wrong. It's normal to them. How could they understand what it's like to be treated wrong and differently because of your gender, when they have had the upper hand. They probably just assume we are 'nagging' and worrying over nothing.
Morganrosen
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you not seen any of the statistics and evidence that prove there is a pay gap? Plus aren't females more likely to settle for a smaller salary due to the sexist culture we have, it's been trained into us that we are inferior and we must obey authority, that are views don't matter. Its surely sexism that encourages females to act that way. Also the less working hours could be due to the fact that we have other priorities, those women may prefer a job that allows them to look after their children. As sexism also enocurages women to look after their children and do all the housework etc whilst men go out to hang with friends, and to work more shifts and be the 'breadwinner'. Not always the case but worth thinking about before you blame us for our inequality.

(Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
That's because of the choices women make. They're more likely to take time off work to go on holiday, more likely to take time off work due to sickness, more likely to agree to an average salary rather than demand a pay rise in comparison to men, more likely to choose a job with less working hours - all of these factors, as well as others, mean that females in general have less of an opportunity to climb up the ladder in the work place and therefore earn more money. It's not anyone's fault but their own. The pay gap is not real.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise