Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is being a feminist considered to be so bad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    What rights do women not have that men do in the uk?
    No takers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    No takers?
    It's surprising how often they say they have less rights but when asked not one can answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    It's usually "we don't have the right to walk down the road without getting cat called unlike men." etc. as it where, cultural rights, all of which can be countered by things where men are disadvantaged. See that's the thing, both men and women face plenty of disadvantages.
    But I have yet to see a list of legal rights (which is what I assume you are asking for) where women are disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    12hrs....still no takers.

ReputationRep:
    Because feminism as an ideology is bad.

ReputationRep:
    I believe equality between men and women is a fight that has already been won. We have the same rights and there are no discriminatory laws based on gender. I see no need for feminism, sometimes I think feminism is destructive in the sense that some women think women should be out working and doing stuff men traditional did in the family and find the idea of a woman wanting to stay home and raise a child and do basic housework and prepare food for the family and her husband who loves her and provides income and lets her buy nice pretty clothes or a designer handbag to be the result of an oppressive society and not free will and historically what has worked out pretty well. I get it, you want men and women to be valued equally. But I also think most feminists (not just radical) believe they are the oppressed minority fighting the proverbial old white republican male that watches Fox News and owns a business that doesn't hire as many women and the ones that make it in are payed less and sexually harrassed publicly by all her male bosses. When actually almost (a very very large almost) all people today believe in gender equality (talking 1st world countries). I also believe that there can't be a Muslim feminist. If your holy book encourages ("lightly") beating your wife (who can be of any age, even 6, in Mohammad the holiest of prophets case) because she doesn't want to sleep with you, how can you say you want gender equality and follow such a religion. You can say it's only 1 or 3 lines in the whole book or it's taken out of context, but I'd call you biased and say you haven't read (even just a little bit) of the Quran. Feel free to think otherwise, my opinion is the unpopular one because it's seen as intolerant towards muslims (which doesn't make any sense it's their holy book). Or have a friendly debate, I'd like to hear a feminists point of view on Islamic beliefs about women. (40 minutes on this 1 comment goodnight)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.