Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is being a feminist considered to be so bad? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why feminists are seen as bad:

1. The Victimhood Complex - Continually blaming white men for the problems women face today whilst doing nothing to solve it. And labelling anyone who doesn't agree with your POV as sexist.

2. Quoting incorrect statistics or misinterpreting them- Of which the gender pay gap includes despite being disproven multiple times feminists keep using this as a statistic to highlight inequality. Furthermore, they ignore statistics to show that sexism is not present in some places in the western world. (60% of uni students are female)

3. No main focus- First wave feminism had the right to vote for women. Second wave feminism had the right to equal pay and workplace rights. The fact that today's third wave feminism has an end goal that is too vague and generally resorts to battering white men in today's society. With inept goals (Free the nipple, This Girl Can, etc).Feminists can no longer be taken serious by the general population.

In my opinion, this can be fixed. Third wave feminism can be focused on improving women's rights in places in the third world. The Middle East and North Africa for example where sexism is truly prevalent. (Women required a male companion whilst driving and women can face far worse punishments for adultery than men). With globalisation and the Internet this has become easier to do yet requires from feminist organisations in first world countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    It's boring? Are you really being serious right now? Newsflash, feminism is not about entertaining you nor me. It's about establishing the fact that we need equal rights. I'm sorry you find the topic so 'boring.'

Feminism has achieved so much in the past, just to put down a few examples, without it women would not have had the right to vote and would find it extremely difficult to find work.
    that you "need" equal rights is not a fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haprybeingright)
    Most feminists would say the same as you

Very few feminists would actively support male issues as supporting male issues is to the detriment of female

Most feminists (like any other movement) only see the evidence in their favour - there should be a public outcry that men do worst at school but this is seen as a 'success' due to feminism, that women get paid significantly more per hour below the age of 40 years is seen as a bad thing that won't be right until women of all ages get paid significantly more per hour, etc.

Feminists patronise saying they care for all and are unwilling, like you apparently, to accept that most actually do not and have their own vested interests at heart.
    I would disagree with this point. Firstly, feminists do not only consist of women, some men make up feminists as well.

Also, I would support any issue whether it be male or female as long as I believe it. And so would many feminists.

ReputationRep:

I am a feminist myself and pride myself in being one. I would class myself as being under the dictionary meaning of a feminist 'someone who want equal rights for both sexes'
    When did you last check the dictionary?

It is a women's rights movement, not equal rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm an eglatarian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    When did you last check the dictionary?

It is a women's rights movement, not equal rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/feminism

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism

ReputationRep:
    Both your definitions say different things. Which one are you going with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The first definition disproves your argument. The definition states that it for FEMALE rights, in order to gain equality.The second gives two definitions, so which one are you using? And if you are choosing, then you are again breaking your own argument as you have offered them as definitions.

ReputationRep:
    But sterotyping is something most people go against as you are just catergorising a bunch of people and assuming that as one person acts like 'this' so do all of them.

You do not need to speak to every single feminist to find out that only the minority can be classed as radical feminists. Just, maybe next time try to give someone the benefit of the doubt without assuming that they all want to kill of men or something...
    I have never said all of them act like that though in fact I have said that not everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Still devoid of any sense of irony, I see. On the rare occasion that I bother to un-spoiler a post by you, this is what I see. :sigh:
    I know what irony is. I'm intentionally saying they are as bad as the feminists students that want to ban all opposition to their version of what is politically correct. They get so upset because some feminist said something. My post is not ironic in the slightest and I am completely aware of what it is saying. It's turning the charge against feminists the right wing political correctness crying brigade make back at themselves.

Intoxicated or not, as long as both parties have given consent, it is not rape.

However, if someone has not given consent (whether they be drunk or not) then it can be considered rape.
    Currently, somebody who is intoxicated is not considered capable of giving consent, if I recall correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Currently, somebody who is intoxicated is not considered capable of giving consent, if I recall correctly.
    It is dependent on the level of intoxication, however there are not official set parameters because alcohol effects people differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I know that there are an extreme group of females (radical feminists) who want to overpower men and all that stuff but that does not necessarily mean all feminists are like that!

I am a feminist myself and pride myself in being one. I would class myself as being under the dictionary meaning of a feminist 'someone who want equal rights for both sexes'

No I do not want to see the elimination of all males. I am not anti-male and I doubt many of the feminists are.

However all I see on here is people blaming feminists for everything. I can barely even utter the fact that I am a feminist without people cowering away from me. It seems to be especially bad on this site where I see irrelevant things being blamed on feminists or seeing crap how the first thing a guy looks for is a girl who is not a feminist and has to 'make them a sandwich whenever they feel like it'

Well, sorry, I'm not going to sit here and make you a sandwich for the pure reason that you demanded one.

So why is it overblowing and made to be seen as if it is the worst thing anyone could be? What is so bad about wanting to have equal rights for males and females?

People are just being so blinded by the media lately and I really don't see why something so small needs to be blown up into such proportion that people end up disliking feminists altogether.

All I am saying is, maybe people should just stop jumping to the wrong conclusions every time someone says that they are feminist. Your viewpoint of feminism might be completely different to theirs so instead of generalising all feminists into the same category you could give them the benefit of the doubt and not bash them for having their own opinions..

Any Thoughts?
    The problem is that an honorable movement promoting legal equality has moved to become a movement of the far left, spouting ideas like quotas, calling for the abolition of gender norms (personally i like being a man and like feminine women). While i do support the general concepts of feminism, i'd not be seen dead associating with the current movement. and do not declare myself a feminist on that basis.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I know what irony is. I'm intentionally saying they are as bad as the feminists students that want to ban all opposition to their version of what is politically correct. They get so upset because some feminist said something. My post is not ironic in the slightest and I am completely aware of what it is saying. It's turning the charge against feminists the right wing political correctness crying brigade make back at themselves.
    Still not getting it... Guess you really did earn your spot on the ignore list.

ReputationRep:
    Both your definitions say different things. Which one are you going with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was highlighting the fact that it is about equality in response to your previous statement. And as you can see, both definitions, whilst different talk about wanting 'equality of the sexes' and 'equal rights'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOpinion)
    The first definition disproves your argument. The definition states that it for FEMALE rights, in order to gain equality.The second gives two definitions, so which one are you using? And if you are choosing, then you are again breaking your own argument as you have offered them as definitions.
    How am I breaking my own argument, as in the original post I have clearly stated that I would class myself under the dictionary definition of feminism?

My whole argument was about why most feminists are seen to be such horrible people...

By the way, cookiemonster15, I don't see you in a bad light at all. I remember you helping me with my BMAT essays.

ReputationRep:
    I was highlighting the fact that it is about equality in response to your previous statement. And as you can see, both definitions, whilst different talk about wanting 'equality of the sexes' and 'equal rights'
    And you will see that both of them say that it is women's rights organisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By the way, cookiemonster15, I don't see you in a bad light at all. I remember you helping me with my BMAT essays.
    Hahaha, yes I remember those days! Ahhh, now if only I'd actually done well in those...

How's your application going by the way?

ReputationRep:
    And you will see that both of them say that it is women's rights organisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never said it wasn't, you said it was not about equality and that was my response..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.