Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    yaaay finally got a job on a production line but ive never had a job before so do you think it is worth it? im 18 - 19 in december.
    my friend works there and told them about me and theyve asked me too start.

should i accept or carry on looking.

You would get more by shopping them to the police and the media! Sell your story

£3 an hour at your age is ILLEGAL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Ok work for a few weeks then sue him for back pay, you will probably win.
    Bad advice. You'd spend more money paying for legal services in the county courts than you'd claim back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    Bad advice. You'd spend more money paying for legal services in the county courts then you'd claim back.
    Have you ever heared of small claims courts? Some times its a matter of principle, if it went to cought the crinimal boss will be exposed.

ReputationRep:
    If they are paying less than the legal minimum do you think they are paying liability insurance, national insurance, tax etc?

don't work there, report them to the powers that be.

If you had an accident working you could not get compensation if they are not insured, it's not worth risking your health for £3.00 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    If they are paying less than the legal minimum do you think they are paying liability insurance, national insurance, tax etc?

If you had an accident working you could not get compensation if they are not insured, it's not worth risking your health for £3.00 an hour.

mayb its not worth it...but not working is not going to put food on the table and pay the electricity bill.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    my mate came home from uni...and has found the only job she can get it waitressing for £3.10 an hour..and she's nearly 20 with years of experience in lots of different jobs.
    Wouldn't tips make it into a fairly decent wage though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

This is exactly my point, if they are breaking this law then its highly likely they are breaking others. Its also supporting greedy crinimals to run their empire.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like it, don't go... simply economics. You think the boss will pay you more because you say it's illegal? He/she'll probably just find a younger person that can work for less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    If you don't like it, don't go... simply economics. You think the boss will pay you more because you say it's illegal? He/she'll probably just find a younger person that can work for less.
    Its exploiting people in desperate situations or people who are not aware of their rights. Its just moraly wrong. I think these bosses should get everything they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    You think the boss will pay you more because you say it's illegal?
    If you report them then they'll be forced to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    £3 an hour is below the minimum wage, its £3.80 at the moment and will be £4.20 from October for 18 year olds.

Its ilegal to only pay you £3 an hour.
    Gosh thats a really low minimum wage. Over here minimum wage is seven euro for an 18 yr old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Wouldn't tips make it into a fairly decent wage though?

lol. in an area where people think its ok to pay 20 yr olds £3.10 an hour...you think they tip?

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    If you report them then they'll be forced to.

no. they will be forced to make your life a living hell...so in the end you cant face it anymore and quit...so again your back with no money.

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and I'm gonna start a 2hr paper round paying £4.60... it's the only job I've found so far that I can do while still at school that doesn't want experiance.

When I hit 18 will they have to give me a wage rise - or are they more likely to lay me off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    I'm 17 and I'm gonna start a 2hr paper round paying £4.60... it's the only job I've found so far that I can do while still at school that doesn't want experiance.

When I hit 18 will they have to give me a wage rise - or are they more likely to lay me off?
    If its a paper round you're more likely to be self employed so the law would not apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)

at £4.60 your well above minimum wage, so i doubt you'll get a pay rise or be laid off.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't even started yet, so it may be that he's not going to be paid £3/hr

ReputationRep:
    work for tesco or maccy d's at awkward hours. they pay extra. and they're big companies who would not give you £3/hour and break the law.

ReputationRep:
    From a government website:

Anyone who thinks they are not being paid the minimum wage should call the helpline:

0845 6000 678 in England and Wales
    0845 600 1768 in Northern Ireland
    0845 650 0207 in Northern Ireland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avalondep)
    work for tesco or maccy d's at awkward hours. they pay extra. and they're big companies who would not give you £3/hour and break the law.
    I think you will find both companies DO comply with the minimum wage laws in the united kingdom. If you think otherwise I suggest you phone the number below but you will look very silly.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.