This discussion is closed.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I think you will find both companies DO comply with the minimum wage laws in the united kingdom. If you think otherwise I suggest you phone the number below but you will look very silly.

I think you misread him. He(she?) said:

work for tesco or maccy d's at awkward hours. they pay extra. and they're big companies who would not give you £3/hour and break the law.

I.e. these companies would pay you decent (at least minimum) wages, NOT the £3 an hour that this company offered, and they would NOT break the law.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by LS.)
I'm 17 and I'm gonna start a 2hr paper round paying £4.60... it's the only job I've found so far that I can do while still at school that doesn't want experiance.

When I hit 18 will they have to give me a wage rise - or are they more likely to lay me off?
ive currently got a sunday morning paper round and i get £7 for an hour and half. if i go to the job at £3 an hour, i'll have to quit the p round but id be earning £15 for 5 hours.

thats the choice im faced with as well
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just another note of warning, if he the boss is breaking the minimum wage law then he is likely to be breaking other laws such as income tax, employee liability insurance, working condition laws (how much breaks you get). Also I would not expect a decent reference from a boss like that.
joanneh18
Report 15 years ago
that wage is crap! Minimum is way higher than that! Im only just 18 and I'm on £4.70!
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by joanneh18)
that wage is crap! Minimum is way higher than that! Im only just 18 and I'm on £4.70!
i'm on £6.50 an hour this summer.
JPFerg
Report 15 years ago
I'd say the best part time job i ever had whn i was at college was at B&Q. Loads of people there all in the same boat - earning money to try and keep a few litres of petrol in your car to make it to college the next day.

I started on around the £5.50 mark but you get more the older you are and the longer you stay. Sunday work is also pretty good pay as well.

I was getting about £300 a month part time - not bad considering I was being paid to have a laugh.
donna1965
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
yaaay finally got a job on a production line but ive never had a job before so do you think it is worth it? im 18 - 19 in december.
my friend works there and told them about me and theyve asked me too start.

should i accept or carry on looking.
3 pound an hourv... id start looking else where if i were u hun
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (61)
52.14%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
8.55%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
11.97%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (29)
24.79%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads