The Student Room Group

English exam contents

Im doing Higher edexcel english the "in such a time as this" anthology, To kill a mockingbird and an inspector calls, my first exam is next tuesday, but im really confused as to what is in each paper, if someone could explain to me what is in the
"English Literature exam", is it poetry, or the TKAMB or Inspector??
"Craft of the Writer", whats this got in it?
"Media (unseen)", hmm im guessing its just one of those you cant really revise for?

And if you dont mind helpin me sum more, wats the best way to revise any of english, i always find it ever so hard, i have york notes for both tkamb and inspector calls, and yh the notes are good, but i dont understand how im meant to use them to revise, all you can do is read them!!:confused: and my poetry is hard to revise too, i mean i have all the poems annotated from class but how do i remember all that stuff?
thanks in advance.
Reply 1
inspector calls is lit coursework

the lit exam consists of one paper, section A and section B

Section A is one hour, and it is where you compare/contrast 4 poems
from your anthologoy [armitage/duffy/clarke/seamus/pre-1914]

Section B is 45 mins and it is where you are asked essay q on your novel you have being studying [in my case - the catcher in the rye]

the best way to revise, is do as many practice papers as possible :smile:
Reply 2
thanks,ne more tips ne body?
Reply 3
Yh im in the same situation anthology, Inspector Calls, and TKAM. Wat we get is 1 qwestion about antholgy 40 mins, one about inspctor calls 40 mins, and one about TKAM 40. If my maths is correct, that should equal 2 hours. BUT i dont know wat in the anthology we are doing. Ill tell u abou the craft of writer crap on another day, i dont wanna find out where i wrote it down right now. Oh yh Inspector calls is not necesarily a cswk, it wasnt 4 me
Reply 4
whiteboy91
Yh im in the same situation anthology, Inspector Calls, and TKAM. Wat we get is 1 qwestion about antholgy 40 mins, one about inspctor calls 40 mins, and one about TKAM 40. If my maths is correct, that should equal 2 hours. BUT i dont know wat in the anthology we are doing. Ill tell u abou the craft of writer crap on another day, i dont wanna find out where i wrote it down right now. Oh yh Inspector calls is not necesarily a cswk, it wasnt 4 me

Being from the same school as whiteboy91 I think it is my duty to inform him that his maths might be right but the question times are wrong. The Lit. exam is comprised of (for Edexcel Higher English Literature):

Sect. A - Modern Poetry (45 Minutes)
Sect. B - To Kill a Mockingbird (or other literature) (45 minutes)
Sect. C - A play studied (e.g. Inspector Calls / Journey's End) (45 minutes)
There is also a Section D but my school didn't study for it - you only answer three questions anyway...

So overall thats 2 hour 15 minutes - the longest written exam maybe? :mad:

Latest