This discussion is closed.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A132 - Manifesto Content Amendment
Proposed by: Saracen’s Fez MP (LAB)
Seconded by: Airmed MP (LIB), Andy98 MP (GRN), Aph MP (LIB), barnetlad MP (GRN), cBay MP (LAB), cranbrook_aspie MP (LAB), EricAteYou MP (LAB), Imperion MP (LIB), JoeL1994 MP (LIB), Kalail MP (LAB), Kay_Winters MP (LAB), Midnightmemories MP (LIB), Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP), PetrosAC MP (LIB), TheDefiniteArticle MP (SOC)

This House would adjust the Guidance Document as follows:

The following shall be removed from the section entitled "General Elections":

4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 450 words and may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 450 word mark if they go over.
4) i) all words typed or spoken within the manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
4) ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.
5) Manifestos can include up to 2 images.
6) Manifestos are allowed a 20 word tagline.

and shall be replaced with the following, with the numbering adjusted accordingly:

4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 450 words.
4) i) Manifestos may not contain more than two image files.
4) ii) Manifestos may not contain audio or video files.
4) iii) Manifestos may not contain pictures of, or quotes attributed to, any real-life figure, living or dead, political or otherwise.
4) iv) Where a manifesto is received with more than 450 words, the Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 450-word mark.

Notes

TL;DR – Changes:
* No photos of RL people.
* No quotes attributed to RL people.
* No audio or video files.
* Removal of references to taglines made obsolete when the word limit was extended.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not too sure about the quotes one, the rest seem fine, makes a change having an amendment that isn't quite all awduy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
****ing hell... are we really that dissatisfied with the way manifestos are done at the moment...

In any case, last election, it was bloody hilarious seeing the video that was produced
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, but how are Labour going to win votes if they don't plaster Mao Quotes and pictures of Corbyn all over their manifesto
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
****ing hell... are we really that dissatisfied with the way manifestos are done at the moment...

In any case, last election, it was bloody hilarious seeing the video that was produced
Doing lots of amending before the GE.

I thinks that's part of the reason they were removed :ninja:

But aye!!! Fed up of Nigel Farage use by UKIP.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Can be remove you then?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Also, but how are Labour going to win votes if they don't plaster Mao Quotes and pictures of Corbyn all over their manifesto
Haha, they can just put a pic of a shabby suit and they're sorted...

Speaking of shabby suits, googling 'shabby suits' actually comes up with a picture of Corbyn...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Haha, I am kind of sorry that it was so bad, because you obviously put effort in... but perhaps a good reason to remove them, you're right!
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, manifestos should be able to contain anything the party wants them to contain while keeping to the limit.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
No, manifestos should be able to contain anything the party wants them to contain while keeping to the limit.
Pictures and quotes from IRL politicians are misleading as it suggests an association that doesn't exist.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jesus, dat number of seconders.

Aye, it's reasonable enough I guess.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Pictures and quotes from IRL politicians are misleading as it suggests an association that doesn't exist.
I disagree, this amendment is an attempt to ruin UKIP's tradition of overdoing photos of a person, using references in wording, and saving the manifesto as two image files.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I disagree, this amendment is an attempt to ruin UKIP's tradition of overdoing photos of a person, using references in wording, and saving the manifesto as two image files.
You won't be stopped from saving manifestos as images... And this affects all parties.

If you got that certain person to publicly endorse you on national tv it might be different but you cannot disagree that you are claiming an association which doesn't exist.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Jesus, dat number of seconders.

Aye, it's reasonable enough I guess.
No it is not reasonable, the Liberals, UKIP, and Labour would all have had their manifestos banned at the last election when all were respectable platforms. Aph It is not about claiming an endorsement, nor an association, but a link in beliefs, goals, and policies the real life party has. The amendment is out of place because parties will still use the same name as their real life party, causing people to make the link, the images, or the slogans are a small part of the link; the amendment is mostly an anti-UKIP one as you have admitted.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No it is not reasonable, the Liberals, UKIP, and Labour would all have had their manifestos banned at the last election when all were respectable platforms. Aph It is not about claiming an endorsement, nor an association, but a link in beliefs, goals, and policies the real life party has. The amendment is out of place because parties will still use the same name as their real life party, causing people to make the link, the images, or the slogans are a small part of the link; the amendment is mostly an anti-UKIP one as you have admitted.
Exactly, this is an amendment that does not single out any single party. I have personally written manifestos with quotes from RL politicians in the past, yet am still backing this.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Exactly, this is an amendment that does not single out any single party. I have personally written manifestos with quotes from RL politicians in the past, yet am still backing this.
Labour's manifesto would have had a few lines deleted, the Liberal manifesto would have had two small photos replace, but UKIP's manifesto would have had one page deleted, one page half deleted, and the other pages left with big gaps in; one party would have been disproportionately impacted.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye. I would prefer manifestos only had proposed action in them, but this is a good start.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Labour's manifesto would have had a few lines deleted, the Liberal manifesto would have had two small photos replace, but UKIP's manifesto would have had one page deleted, one page half deleted, and the other pages left with big gaps in; one party would have been disproportionately impacted.
And that party is significantly abusing the spirit of the game at this point.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well that says a lot about your TSR party's ability to present its own argument, record and policies without needing to resort to ridiculous quantities of images.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
And that party is significantly abusing the spirit of the game at this point.
I disagree, I would only agree to these changes if party logos, party names, and party colours were not used in the manifestos.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (15)
30%
1 (6)
12%
2 (5)
10%
3 (5)
10%
4 (7)
14%
5 (5)
10%