Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a bit torn... I originally wanted to become a PWP, but didn't feel I had enough experience so didn't apply for the last intake at UCL. I am a Samaritan, and I've also got experience as an ABA tutor for autistic children. I currently work in IAPT as an Employment Support Worker for clients accessing therapy. I thought this would be a good way to get experience in IAPT, with service users with anxiety and depression, as well as working with and liasing with PWPs and HITs. However, now I'm torn between becoming a PWP, or staying in the Employment field and eventually going into Career Coaching. There's a PGDip/Masters in Career Coaching at UEL, and I'm not sure whether to eventually apply for that or the PGCert Low Intensity Behavioural Interventions at UCL. Is there anyone here who ever considered both? Or knows anyone else who has? I'll be interested to hear that people think. Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is career coaching? From your experience you appear to have a need/desire to be in and amongst service users and helping them - without knowing exactly what career coaches do, it sounds like the PWP route is more suited to you.

You have more than enough experience to do the PWP course (as far as I know) and applying is the only way to find out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Sinnie_)
    What exactly is career coaching? From your experience you appear to have a need/desire to be in and amongst service users and helping them - without knowing exactly what career coaches do, it sounds like the PWP route is more suited to you.

You have more than enough experience to do the PWP course (as far as I know) and applying is the only way to find out!
    Hi Sinead thanks for your reply. Career coaches also involves being with service users and helping them. More so even, as a lot of PWP work is done over the phone. It's not too different from what I'm doing now but a bit more senior. Career coaching in mental health services involves supporting clients through 121 coaching who are in work but may be suffering from work-related stress,anxiety and depression to maintain in employment or return after sick love. It also involves career counselling people who are looking for a career change, or want to gain employment. It's about helping them and identifying their career goals, and supporting them in the process so they achieve those goals. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I have enough experience NOW, yes, I didn't before though. I'm just torn between the two now

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit like occupational therapy but with a more direct, 1to1 approach - sounds like a really good job and you'd hopefully see a lot of progress in the service users - which is nice and very rare in some services. Only two things I can think of that might draw you to one over the other, beyond you developing an innate preference for either:

- How Psychologically informed is the career coaching? I know you mentioned the PgCert.Would being a PWP enable you to be more involved in therapy, rather than practical support (if that is indeed a difference) and which would you prefer?
    - Being a PWP will probably give you more definitive career options, you can become a high intensity therapist and probably move into management roles more easily - again, if that's what you want to do.

In summary, I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit like occupational therapy but with a more direct, 1to1 approach - sounds like a really good job and you'd hopefully see a lot of progress in the service users - which is nice and very rare in some services. Only two things I can think of that might draw you to one over the other, beyond you developing an innate preference for either:

- How Psychologically informed is the career coaching? I know you mentioned the PgCert.Would being a PWP enable you to be more involved in therapy, rather than practical support (if that is indeed a difference) and which would you prefer?
    - Being a PWP will probably give you more definitive career options, you can become a high intensity therapist and probably move into management roles more easily - again, if that's what you want to do.

In summary, I don't know
    Hiyaaaa. Yeah it's quite psychology informed, is an Msc. And it's off the branch of occupational psychology, and is based in the school of psychology department at university.
    Everyone teaching the course are all active Psychology lecturers. Here's the link anyway: https://www.uel.ac.uk/Postgraduate/C...areer-Coaching there's also the PG Cert and PG Dip too. Yes, being a PWP would mean I'd be more involved in therapy as apprised to advice. And you're right, that is the difference, therapy vs. practical support. At the moment, the latter seems to be appealing to me more. I just feel that PWPs don't have much freedom in what they do, or the chance for much creativity or to use their personality, which I understand. At the end of the day, it's about the client in therapy. There seems to be so much tick box questions, and asking each client the same set of questions , almost robotic. But yeah, dunno

ReputationRep:

In summary, I don't know
    I'm gonna apply for both I think, and see what happens and how I feel, but at the mo I think I'm swaying to coaching/employment support

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.