Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    As you know I already made threads about doing access to health and social care but I am quite doubtful because I wanted to do the course so I could get into nursing but then there were proposed changes getting rid of the bursary and bringing in tutition fees for nhs degrees and also I have no luck getting experience in a hospital although I'm volunteering in a care home and if I decide not to do the course should I do science or humanities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glamourprincess)
    Hi
    As you know I already made threads about doing access to health and social care but I am quite doubtful because I wanted to do the course so I could get into nursing but then there were proposed changes getting rid of the bursary and bringing in tutition fees for nhs degrees and also I have no luck getting experience in a hospital although I'm volunteering in a care home and if I decide not to do the course should I do science or humanities?
    For nursing you'd need to Access to Science, talk some unis or look on their website about the type of Access courses they want to see you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    For nursing you'd need to Access to Science, talk some unis or look on their website about the type of Access courses they want to see you do.
    You do not. Stop talking *******s.

Hi
    I have to ask you what difference the change makes to you? With the Access course, you're essentially guaranteed a place on a nursing course and with a nursing degree you're pretty much guaranteed a well-paying job off the back of it. I think sticking with nursing would be a sensible choice, and I worry that you're overestimating how much the lack of bursary will affect you.

If you took to humanities, you'd not get a bursary either and would be paying tuition fees. Clearly the thought of paying tuition is not too offensive to you ... so why change courses? The same "issue" applies to both paths equally, with the only difference being that nursing is a lot more employable. If you took humanities, what would you do? History or English and then maybe go into teaching? Maybe general grad schemes? Very vague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by like_marmite)
    You do not. Stop talking *******s.

I have to ask you what difference the change makes to you? With the Access course, you're essentially guaranteed a place on a nursing course and with a nursing degree you're pretty much guaranteed a well-paying job off the back of it. I think sticking with nursing would be a sensible choice, and I worry that you're overestimating how much the lack of bursary will affect you.

If you took to humanities, you'd not get a bursary either and would be paying tuition fees. Clearly the thought of paying tuition is not too offensive to you ... so why change courses? The same "issue" applies to both paths equally, with the only difference being that nursing is a lot more employable. If you took humanities, what would you do? History or English and then maybe go into teaching? Maybe general grad schemes? Very vague.

Yeah your right it's what I really wanted to do and I guess if I was doing humanities I would do English but I do not want to get into teaching I do want to get a job at the end of it and I was thinking about science if I wanted to do healthcare/biomedical science but it be too hard for me and studying chemistry physics biology and maths can be difficult where on access to health and social care I be studying biology, psychology And sociology and thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Yeah your right it's what I really wanted to do and I guess if I was doing humanities I would do English but I do not want to get into teaching I do want to get a job at the end of it and I was thinking about science if I wanted to do healthcare/biomedical science but it be too hard for me and studying chemistry physics biology and maths can be difficult where on access to health and social care I be studying biology, psychology And sociology and thanks for your advice
    Yeah, the humanities course is not going to be too useful to you. You really would need to do quite well on it and get into a very good university to have a realistic chance of doing anything with your degree—and I say this as someone who did Access to Humanities!

Best of luck with it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by like_marmite)
    Yeah, the humanities course is not going to be too useful to you. You really would need to do quite well on it and get into a very good university to have a realistic chance of doing anything with your degree—and I say this as someone who did Access to Humanities!

Best of luck with it all.
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.