Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Assuming you don't already have a guitar, my advice would be to not cheap out on the first instrument (I.e. Don't get one knocking around for 25 quid or so on eBay) - you can easily get a reasonable entry level model from a good manufacturer (like fender with the squier range) with change from 200; and make sure you try them out in an instrument shop, you don't need to be able to play songs for that, just feel it in your hands - is it comfortable to grip, is it easy to press the strings down properly?

Self teaching is certainly possible, and easier now with the amount of guides out there (I have lessons and self teach on the side and I swear by the justinguitar books, my teacher uses it a lot in lessons as well for the theory), although I'd personally go for lessons if you can afford them - when you've got someone who knows what they're doing its a lot easier to catch bad habits before they get set in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Assuming you don't already have a guitar, my advice would be to not cheap out on the first instrument (I.e. Don't get one knocking around for 25 quid or so on eBay) - you can easily get a reasonable entry level model from a good manufacturer (like fender with the squier range) with change from 200; and make sure you try them out in an instrument shop, you don't need to be able to play songs for that, just feel it in your hands - is it comfortable to grip for instance? (If you can play a small amount - as in a chord or two - you want to see what the action is like as well)

Self teaching is certainly possible, and easier now with the amount of guides out there (I have lessons and self teach on the side and I swear by the justinguitar books, my teacher uses it a lot in lessons as well for the theory), although I'd personally go for lessons if you can afford them - when you've got someone who knows what they're doing its a lot easier to catch bad habits before they get set in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply and advice.

I actually already have a guitar (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockburn-Sty.../dp/B0016CWTI2) from when I first tried to learn it when I was 9 aha (I'm 16 now). I mean it'll probably do to begin with, but I'd like to get an epiphone (maybe an es 339) later on.

I'd like to take lessons just because I think it'd be helpful to have someone there to give guidance, so I'll probably do that. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by joe5420)
    Thanks for the reply and advice.

I actually already have a guitar (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockburn-Sty.../dp/B0016CWTI2) from when I first tried to learn it when I was 9 aha (I'm 16 now). I mean it'll probably do to begin with, but I'd like to get an epiphone (maybe an es 339) later on.

I'd like to take lessons just because I think it'd be helpful to have someone there to give guidance, so I'll probably do that. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
    If you've already got one that's fine, it'll do for learning, my recommendation is simply about the build quality of the cheap and cheerful ones - you'll end up needing to replace a short while down the line. No experience with rockburn, but don't be surprised if in about 12-18 months it feels very worn, simply because it's a cheap bundle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    If you've already got one that's fine, it'll do for learning, my recommendation is simply about the build quality of the cheap and cheerful ones - you'll end up needing to replace a short while down the line. No experience with rockburn, but don't be surprised if in about 12-18 months it feels very worn, simply because it's a cheap bundle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah

Thanks for the advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.