Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently looking into studying PPE, ideally at Oxford. I am studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and General Studies for As.
    I am aware that you can have any combination of subjects for admission into Oxford, and they do like Maths, but would a lack of a strong essay subject put me at a disadvantage?
    Thoughts from people who know what the admissions are like would be appreciated and from those studying the subject

ReputationRep:
    General Studies is useless for Oxford. Don't bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egoclips)
    General Studies is useless for Oxford. Don't bother
    Yes people have said that, but with my combination of subjects would it display some more essay skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMC98)
    Yes people have said that, but with my combination of subjects would it display some more essay skills
    I am also considering an EPQ, which might be better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMC98)
    I am also considering an EPQ, which might be better
    EPQ on a topic that's related to PPE which you can talk about in your personal statement should help a lot. Seriously don't bother with General Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMC98)
    No

Don't bother with it, if you want to do something do an EPQ

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't think I will, they are scrapping GS in two years as well
    I've done the GS mock, but will probably leave it at that

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest does anyone know any successful applicants with a similar combo of subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMC98)
    I am currently looking into studying PPE, ideally at Oxford. I am studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and General Studies for As.
    I am aware that you can have any combination of subjects for admission into Oxford, and they do like Maths, but would a lack of a strong essay subject put me at a disadvantage?
    Thoughts from people who know what the admissions are like would be appreciated and from those studying the subject
    In reference to the comments about General Studies, I'd be inclined to suggest that there's no harm in sitting the general studies papers but there's no point doing any preparatory work for it. You might still get a decent grade (it's not something that should respond to cramming anyway) and it's not quite worth nothing. Some universities are still happy to consider it and the papers themselves are not a huge amount of time to invest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMC98)
    Out of interest does anyone know any successful applicants with a similar combo of subjects
    Trust me, there are people studying PPE from a huge variety of subject backgrounds. It's really not worth losing your head about. All you can do at this stage is apply.

ReputationRep:
    I know I shouldn't worry too much, its just one of those things I was curious about because I guess some would consider it a bit unconventional- but that might work to my advantage

ReputationRep:
    Literary subjects like english and history, maths for economics, general studies is useless, epq is good
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I know someone who studied Bio/Chem/Maths at IB HL and got an offer for PPE. Someone else I know had Bio/Chem/(can't remember) and got a Cambridge offer for Law. My own subjects don't fit my desired course very well at all (didn't know what I wanted to do at the end of Yr11/start of Yr12) and I agonised over it but in the end it wasn't a problem.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.