Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I was a child, I used to play husband and wife with my cousin sister who was a few years older than me. I was the wife and my cousin was the husband even though we were both girls. She would kiss me on the lips but at the time I thought nothing of it, I thought it was a game because I was too young to understand but now that I am a young woman, I think it wasn't a game and makes me feel disgusted with myself because I'm not a lesbian, I like guys.

It lasted for years until one day my cousin said 'we shouldn't be doing this' and I agreed. She never touched me again but I still remember everything and feel so guilty. Was it abuse? What can I do to forget about it?

I know not many people remember their childhood but I do, I have a good long term memory. I haven't told anyone about this. Not even my family because they can't keep things to themselves and I don't want everyone to know. My family like to discuss things, if I told them, they would have a discussion and probably laught at me. I really don't know what to do. I rarely think about what happened but it really gets to me when I do, I just want to forget but can't. I don't want to see a psychologist or something because it's private and not something I want to share with anyone. Is there anything I can do to forget without telling anyone what happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is quite a strange game and story but you girls were just kids. Even if your cousin was not, you were right? Therefore, think nothing of it.

Now, regarding the abuse issue, you tell me. I would say no but it is weird. Then again, I am not you so here:

Did she treat you with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly by doing so? Alternatively, did she intentionally use the game to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse? Or was it just the case that you were bored kids having a laugh. Because if not, by definition that is not abuse at all.

Thus, I again tell you to think nothing of it.

I hope that helped.
    Have a good day.

ReputationRep:
    If you were both just kids I would go with no, particularly since she stopped it when (I assume) she realised to true weight of what kissing meant.

I am a lesbian but when I was in infant school I kissed a couple of boys playing husband/wife. At that age it's not really a sexual thing but rather coping the behaviour that we see - mummies and daddies kiss so whilst we raise this plastic baby so should we. You shouldn't be disgusted with the fact you kissed a member of the same sex when you were too young to know what sexual encounters really meant, nor should it make you worry about your sexuality in any way.

The biggest factor here is the age gap, but if she was still young enough to be acting like this in innocence then she hasn't really done any thing bad. If not, then there is an issue.

I'm sorry you've had an experience that has left you feeling this way

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.