Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I really need some help. So... My school didn't offer drama A-level and I didn't take English, as I first thought I wanted to be a psychologist. I now want to study drama at university (or acting school, but this post is about UNI). I'm really worried that I'm not going to be able to do drama at uni now and I'm not sure what to do. I guess this post is mainly aimed at anyone that's doing drama BA without English or Drama A-level or just anyone that knows how you can do this... Or even some ideas of how I could find out for myself. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it as I'm finding this pretty stressful. Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatIzziGirl)
    Hi guys. I really need some help. So... My school didn't offer drama A-level and I didn't take English, as I first thought I wanted to be a psychologist. I now want to study drama at university (or acting school, but this post is about UNI). I'm really worried that I'm not going to be able to do drama at uni now and I'm not sure what to do. I guess this post is mainly aimed at anyone that's doing drama BA without English or Drama A-level or just anyone that knows how you can do this... Or even some ideas of how I could find out for myself. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it as I'm finding this pretty stressful. Thank you x
    Most drama courses at university ask for some experience of practical theatre work so even if they say that performing arts/drama/theatre studies is useful or 'desirable' at A level there are ways to still get into a drama or theatre degree. I'd send some emails off to the universities that you're interested in, explaining your situation just as you've explained it here, and see what they say. Make it clear that you have a strong interest in drama and you're certain that it's what you'd like to study. Universities, in my experience, like it when it's clear that somebody has taken time to think about what they want to do even if it means changing the path they're currently on. It takes guts to enquire about courses that you don't have the usual A levels for. You would struggle to get into an English and Drama degree without an A level in English, but I think you should be able to get into a drama course.

Personally, I have very little experience of practical theatre but I really love drama and so I've been accepted onto a Performing Arts HNC, which will then lead onto a top-up degree. It's at a local college, not a university, but I feel as though it will allow me to do a lot of acting and writing and ultimately prepare me for what I actually want to do with my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    Most drama courses at university ask for some experience of practical theatre work so even if they say that performing arts/drama/theatre studies is useful or 'desirable' at A level there are ways to still get into a drama or theatre degree. I'd send some emails off to the universities that you're interested in, explaining your situation just as you've explained it here, and see what they say. Make it clear that you have a strong interest in drama and you're certain that it's what you'd like to study. Universities, in my experience, like it when it's clear that somebody has taken time to think about what they want to do even if it means changing the path they're currently on. It takes guts to enquire about courses that you don't have the usual A levels for. You would struggle to get into an English and Drama degree without an A level in English, but I think you should be able to get into a drama course.

Personally, I have very little experience of practical theatre but I really love drama and so I've been accepted onto a Performing Arts HNC, which will then lead onto a top-up degree. It's at a local college, not a university, but I feel as though it will allow me to do a lot of acting and writing and ultimately prepare me for what I actually want to do with my life.
    Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help and will be sure to take your advice. I've been doing theatre pretty much since the time that I could walk and talk so I'm really glad the Unis look at extra-curricular/practical drama study. Good luck with your training!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.