Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I just got a conditional offer from Ravensbourne for Foundation in Design and Media and was wondering if a student who has studied or is currently studying this course could inform me about the college and how the course works. I particularly would like to know what the contact time, guidance and tutor help is like? Also is it heavily digitally based or can you also explore other elements of art and design such as painting, drawing, textiles etc. Many Thanks.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 0_oMiko_0)
    Hiya I just got a conditional offer from Ravensbourne for Foundation in Design and Media and was wondering if a student who has studied or is currently studying this course could inform me about the college and how the course works. I particularly would like to know what the contact time, guidance and tutor help is like? Also is it heavily digitally based or can you also explore other elements of art and design such as painting, drawing, textiles etc. Many Thanks.
    Hi Miko!

Congratulations on your conditional offer, I am currently an animation student however I did do the foundation in design and media course as well.
    The college is an open space facility with designated areas for different courses, the course itself is split into 3 stages, Exploratory, Pathway and Confirmatory.

In the first stage it is a fast pace taster of each different subjects and therefore includes exploring both digital and art elements. Following up on that the second stage will be looking into a focus pathway of your choice. Finally you will have a final project for that pathway in the confirmatory stage.

If you'd like more details please take a look at the link below
    Click Me

Hope this helps!
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hi Miko!

Congratulations on your conditional offer, I am currently an animation student however I did do the foundation in design and media course as well.
    The college is an open space facility with designated areas for different courses, the course itself is split into 3 stages, Exploratory, Pathway and Confirmatory.

In the first stage it is a fast pace taster of each different subjects and therefore includes exploring both digital and art elements. Following up on that the second stage will be looking into a focus pathway of your choice. Finally you will have a final project for that pathway in the confirmatory stage.

If you'd like more details please take a look at the link below
    Click Me

Hope this helps!
    Jay
    Thank you, yes that was helpful. I was just wondering, did you enjoy the foundation course and like did you feel you had enough support to get on with what you were doing?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 0_oMiko_0)
    Thank you, yes that was helpful. I was just wondering, did you enjoy the foundation course and like did you feel you had enough support to get on with what you were doing?
    Hi Miko,

apologies for the delay, yes I found it really helpful was a very nice way to ease into uni life. I come from a fine art background, with no experience of digital software (some may say it was a surprise I decided to go to Ravensbourne as they are heavily digital base).

However being on the course assured me that it was definitely something I would like to get into, I also managed to build up the level of software skills that I did not have compared to some of the other students. The structure is very relaxed and for the first stage of the foundation course in particularly is a really good way to get a new student settled in, as well as getting a taste of your course, you also take the time to explore areas of the building, make friends and begin building on your skills. Once you are settled they provide workshops and tutorials where the teachers review your work and assist you in your coming projects at the end of the course.

Hope this gives you a better idea
    Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)

x
    Hi! I've also applied to your university for art and design foundation and I got invited for an interview (through skype)

I just wanted to ask, what questions do they generally ask ? So I can be more prepared.

Also, I know that it is a heavy digital university so I would like to know what are the chances to get in for someone like me, as I dont have many digital pieces but mostly drawings and photos ?

Thanks ^^
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by deniakp)
    Hi! I've also applied to your university for art and design foundation and I got invited for an interview (through skype)

I just wanted to ask, what questions do they generally ask ? So I can be more prepared.

Also, I know that it is a heavy digital university so I would like to know what are the chances to get in for someone like me, as I dont have many digital pieces but mostly drawings and photos ?

Thanks ^^
    Hey Miko,

You will most likely be interviewed by different teachers from different pathways, so there is no gurantee what type of question you will be asked. As you are aware it is a digital based university, there is a possibility they may ask you why you are interested in coming to Ravensbourne in particular, this is because I was asked the very same thing with a fine art background, they could only be curious as to why I decided to go down a digital route

However among the other more digitally capable students I was still given an oppurtunity, and now happily study animation. They give an equal chance to all interviewees, you must show an enthusiasm for what you are interested in. The foundation course is about building on your portfolio and helping you develop skills and learn new skills to prepare you for your degree.

Aside from that they are very friendly, and looking to have a chat about your work and interests in where you'd like to be in the future.
    Hope this helps verify things, and I wish you luck in your interview.

Jay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.