Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really fedup of working as an office bich slaving away being told to go faster, when I left uni I thought corporate life would be amazing and all the money would be brilliant.. even though I'm paid well its not making me happy, I feel like crying when I get to work. Thing is I'm trapped in this now as I wont find another high paying job like this.. I want stress free work where I can leave work and go home and not worry but these jobs seem to be ones which are low paid and monkey type jobs like retail. I want a job where I'm not sat at a desk for 8hrs but all top jobs seem to be office based..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watch this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-rEb0KuopI

ReputationRep:
    If you come to believe that office life is not for you then for the sake of your future happiness get out.

But best take a while to make sure it's not for you......

ReputationRep:
    A career on the corporate escalator is a difficult thing, but can largely depend on who you're working with and how you're treated at work, and how they reward you.

Have you considered looking towards more employee-friendly workplaces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    I am really fedup of working as an office bich slaving away being told to go faster, when I left uni I thought corporate life would be amazing and all the money would be brilliant.. even though I'm paid well its not making me happy, I feel like crying when I get to work. Thing is I'm trapped in this now as I wont find another high paying job like this.. I want stress free work where I can leave work and go home and not worry but these jobs seem to be ones which are low paid and monkey type jobs like retail. I want a job where I'm not sat at a desk for 8hrs but all top jobs seem to be office based..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Stress Free
    High Pay

Pick one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ever thought of trying to get another job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you find something that makes you happy, the pay won't matter as much (unless you have outstanding debts or something which mean you can't take a pay cut?)

How long have you been at your current job? Maybe it's time for a change of scene. The culture where you work might just be especially bad?

Most employers will pay as little as they can to fill any particular role- so if a job is totally stress free and you can just pack up at 5 and leave, then it's going to have lower pay.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let it destroy your happiness and importantly your mental health. Change of jobs?

ReputationRep:
    Monkey jobs?
    You do realise that retail isn't just about 'stacking shelves' there are such things as supervisors; deputy managers; section managers; store managers; area managers; regional managers etc?

ReputationRep:
    Your comments about 'monkey' jobs makes me pity you rather then sympathise with you, maybe this is karma for your smug attitude?

ReputationRep:
    I am having the exact same problem. I studied Business at university, graduated in 2012 and have been doing internships in marketing ever since. I was excited at uni because I really enjoyed the course and marketing seemed (in theory) to be the most interesting and fun and creative aspect of business. Now, 5 internships later, I have come to the sad reality that I HATE office work. I can't even pretend. It makes me so miserable I get angry and resent my coworkers. I thought doing business and getting into the corporate world was the 'smart' decision as my parents have both struggled to define a career. At school I was more creative, but opted not to go to art school with the advice of my family and the worry I wouldn't get a stable job afterwards. Now I wish I'd stuck to where my talents and passion are!

Anyway, here's what I suggest:

Step 1: QUIT if at all possible ASAP (move home if you can! Sounds demoralising after gaining independence but it's worth putting up with to escape a desperately miserable job)
    Step 2: Take a personality test (this really helped me! It gives you an indication of where your strengths and weaknesses lie, and is useful for matching with careers to suit your personality). These two are the best free ones I've found: http://www.careertest.net/ and https://www.16personalities.com/. They are based on the Myers-Briggs test and exactly the same as the one my last employer paid for.
    Step 3: Take a careers test - this one is very good: https://www.plotr.co.uk/
    Step 4: Volunteering and internships in non-office work jobs are great help decide what the heck to do
    Step 5: Face your fears, make a decision. Otherwise you will be stuck in a depressing state of limbo forever.
    Step 6: Don't compare yourself, your stage in life, your success, with anyone else. It sounds drastic but I deleted my Facebook to really stop myself having a panic every night.

Currently I am working freelance in marketing which I find is a great solution - I can work on the projects I'm interested in, within the industries I am passionate about. I work from home in my pyjamas or in a cafe. No middle managers breathing down your neck, no office politics and boring meetings. I can eat all the time. I don't have to buy communal coffee break biscuits for people that don't even say thanks. My hours are flexible and I have time to do other things such as volunteering. If you have this option (sorry I don't know exactly what type of office work you do) I'd suggest to give it a go. It's very liberating! Although I'm not making a tonne of money it's a start and at least I'm gaining experience.

Places to find work online:
    https://www.peopleperhour.com/
    https://www.freelancer.co.uk
    https://www.elance.com

You could get freelance locally by advertising on Gumtree or spread the word to people you know/meet. You could go to free business workshops to meet business owners that might need someone to do their social media.

I've also been researching other non-office jobs and this is what I've found so far:
    - Nurse (you get funding from the NHS to do this!)
    - Forester (Forestry Commission grad scheme requires any degree not just forestry)
    - Environmental work (http://www.environmentjob.co.uk)
    - Conservation assistant (RSPB and Wildlife Trust often require volunteers - good to see if you like it)
    - Visual merchandiser (good if you have a background in art, marketing, business, photography)
    - Nutritionist
    - Naturopathy
    - Teacher
    - Social worker
    - Counsellor
    - Physical therapist
    - Estate agent (desk based but frequently viewing properties)
    - Landscaper
    - Florist (they do weddings, funerals, corporate events - opportunity for travel if larger company)
    - Events management (don't be a venue-finder you will be based at a desk, otherwise getting involved in overseeing corporate events and set up is very practical!)
    - Audio/visual assistant (events industry)
    - Weddings organiser
    - Party planner (private parties for high earning clients?)
    - Joining the Forces (Army, RAF, Navy grad scheme)
    - Nanny (good as a part-time, short-term solution whilst gaining experience elsewhere)
    - Pet-sitter/ dog walker (same as above)
    - Outdoor ranger (i.e National Trust, Forestry Commission or even Centre Parcs)
    - Horticulture work such as gardener, estate maintenance, grounds assistant

Obviously the frustrating part is trying to find something where you don't need to retrain - costing money and time. If you can afford it, then that's not a problem, but if you can't (like me) then it limits your options.

Another helpful way to figure it out is to look at your local jobs board online e.g. Indeed or Reed to see what kind of jobs are out there. Sometimes the weird and wonderful pop up which you would never know existed!

Try thinking about what industry you'd like to see yourself in. If you're into the environment and animals, look at the organisations such as Wildlife Trust, WWF, National Trust, Environment Agency etc etc. If you're into sustainable / ethical business, look at sustainable brands you think would be interesting to work for. Try and connect your interests with your personality type and I'm sure you'll find it easier to figure it out

I hope this helps. I'm in the same boat as I said and still trying to see what all my viable options are. Keep a note of everything, including the careers you have ruled out. Speak to friends, family friends, try and organise some shadowing or a few days work experience in different places. It will feel weird trying something new but the worst thing is to give into fear and stick with your situation because you're feelings won't go away!!

Best of luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.