Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My school won't let me take two sciences for A-Levels?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    *******************It's alright everyone! I'm doing two sciences and thankfully, i got great GCSE's ******************

Hii guys, I'm in year 11 and basically my school won't let me take two sciences for my A-Levels next year and I would like to get into medicine. My original plan was to take Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and an EPQ, but after speaking to a member of staff I was told that I can't take two sciences because its 'Too unrealistic". Now I can only take ONE science when I need Biology AND chemistry for medicine. During the year, I do particularly well in my end of topic tests so I have no idea why they're saying this to me? Any advice on what I can say to the school?

I was considering applying to a different Sixth Form college but I reckon its a bit too late for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remie-elf)
    Hii guys, I'm in year 11 and basically my school won't let me take two sciences for my A-Levels next year and I would like to get into medicine. My original plan was to take Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and an EPQ, but after speaking to a member of staff I was told that I can't take two sciences because its 'Too unrealistic". Now I can only take ONE science when I need Biology AND chemistry for medicine. During the year, I do particularly well in my end of topic tests so I have no idea why they're saying this to me? Any advice on what I can say to the school?

I was considering applying to a different Sixth Form college but I reckon its a bit too late for that.
    Ok, so, are they saying it's 'too unrealistic' for YOU. Or just in general? If they are saying it in general then I would apply somewhere else as they clearly are brain dead.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like they think your grades and capability are not up to this. Take an honest look and your work and consider if they are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)
    It sounds like they think your grades and capability are not up to this. Take an honest look and your work and consider if they are right
    I work hard for my grades and the usual grades i get are A's and B's and the entry requirements for biology and chemistry are both A's and my teachers said that i'm capable of doing A level Chem and Bio so idk why my head of year is not letting me do them? My predicted grades are A's for both sciences so I really don't know why they're being so annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    Ok, so, are they saying it's 'too unrealistic' for YOU. Or just in general? If they are saying it in general then I would apply somewhere else as they clearly are brain dead.
    they're saying that its 'too unrealistic' for ME (and one other girl thats in the same situation as me)

ReputationRep:
    Fight your corner more - they are absurd if they think you can't do both of them despite your good academic record. Tell them how absolutely fundamental it is for medicine and that they are seriously jeopardising your future by not letting you take them.

ReputationRep:
    I work hard for my grades and the usual grades i get are A's and B's and the entry requirements for biology and chemistry are both A's and my teachers said that i'm capable of doing A level Chem and Bio so idk why my head of year is not letting me do them? My predicted grades are A's for both sciences so I really don't know why they're being so annoying
    Go to them and ask what specifically makes them think you can't do this. Use your grades and motivation as examples for you case, and really press them for an answer. It's probably just lazy teaching

ReputationRep:
    they're saying that its 'too unrealistic' for ME (and one other girl thats in the same situation as me)
    Well, for me, people who do well with 2 science A-levels did triple science GCSE and got a B or higher in the 2 they want to do at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)
    Go to them and ask what specifically makes them think you can't do this. Use your grades and motivation as examples for you case, and really press them for an answer. It's probably just lazy teaching
    Yeah i'm definitely going to do that. We have to submit our final a level choices by the 6th of March and we're supposed to do this online so i'm not going to regard their opinion because at the end of the day ITS MY LIFE. its just disappointing how inconsiderate the teachers are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Fight your corner more - they are absurd if they think you can't do both of them despite your good academic record. Tell them how absolutely fundamental it is for medicine and that they are seriously jeopardising your future by not letting you take them.
    I've told them how highly regarded these two sciences are for medicine but they won't listen to me. They're trying to make me take Media Studies but I don't enjoy it and nor will it help me get into medicine!

ReputationRep:
    I've told them how highly regarded these two sciences are for medicine but they won't listen to me. They're trying to make me take Media Studies but I don't enjoy it and nor will it help me get into medicine!
    I sense a troll...

ReputationRep:
    You can take take the other science privately. isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    As and Bs at GCSE are very different from As at A-level. B at GCSE is approximately the same level as a D at A-level.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    B at GCSE is approximately the same level as a D at A-level.
    Wot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Wot.
    That is what we were told at school bc we had to do some ASs alongside GCSEs so we could convert whatever we were getting to GCSE equivalents.

AS - GCSE
    A - A*+
    B - A*
    C - A
    D - B
    E - C

my point was she/he was saying that as they are getting As and Bs at gcse that means they will be getting the same (actually, higher) at a level which is not necessarily true as they are completely different scales.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That is what we were told at school bc we had to do some ASs alongside GCSEs so we could convert whatever we were getting to GCSE equivalents.

AS - GCSE
    A - A*+
    B - A*
    C - A
    D - B
    E - C

my point was she/he was saying that as they are getting As and Bs at gcse that means they will be getting the same (actually, higher) at a level which is not necessarily true as they are completely different scales.
    Subject attainment from GCSE to A-Level for Biology GCSE Grade B:
    3% achieve A/A* in the same subject at A-level
    17% get B
    28% get C
    28% get D
    19% get E

Chemistry is simliar.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../DFE-RR195.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    I sense a troll...
    i feel ya dude... it's just not cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NachoPhilosopher)
    You can take take the other science privately. isn't it?
    yeah i could but i don't know anyone that would teach me the other science and i don't know where i'd sit the paper?

ReputationRep:
    As and Bs at GCSE are very different from As at A-level. B at GCSE is approximately the same level as a D at A-level.
    Yeah I know, i was told that when we had our Sixth Form taster day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Subject attainment from GCSE to A-Level for Biology GCSE Grade B:
    3% achieve A/A* in the same subject at A-level
    17% get B
    28% get C
    28% get D
    19% get E

Chemistry is simliar.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../DFE-RR195.pdf
    My predicted grades are much higher than the grades i'm getting now like I've been a bit stressed out with everything rn and thats why I'm getting B's :C

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.