Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have I ruined my chances of getting a training contract ? any help please watch

ReputationRep:
    I received my LPC results for knowledge yesterday and they were not great. Im on 59.25% overall which is a pass. My firm wants a commendation. I'm not sure what to do, my grandad is suffering from terminal cancer and throughout the exams up to now I have been his full time carer. The morning of my disputes exam ( he was rushed into hospital in hindsight I should not have sat the exams.

I contacted the university who said I either scrap my exams I did and not get the results and take them in March or accept my grades. If anybody has had to deal with somebody who suffers from a terminal disease I hope you would see that taking the exams in March on top of my skills and accounts exam would be a disaster. He is now moving into a hospice and we have been told he has a few weeks left (meaning again i'm going to **** up my skills exams).

I do not know what to do, do i contact my firm tell them that I only have a pass or do I wait and pray that somehow I scrape at 60% and get a commendation? Any advice would be great.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry things are so tough.
    My gut reaction would be to explain everything to your firm. Be open and honest about everything and take it from there. ❤️

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed the LPC and my firm had a similar requirement. (In actual fact I only had to pass all modules first time).

My advice would be to tell your firm everything. I can't believe any sensible HR person would refuse to accept these as mitigating circumstances.

If you tell them now, at least you'll have this one thing off your mind going into your next set of exams. If you don't, you'll continue to have this added pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi1233)
    I received my LPC results for knowledge yesterday and they were not great. Im on 59.25% overall which is a pass. My firm wants a commendation. I'm not sure what to do, my grandad is suffering from terminal cancer and throughout the exams up to now I have been his full time carer. The morning of my disputes exam ( he was rushed into hospital in hindsight I should not have sat the exams.

I contacted the university who said I either scrap my exams I did and not get the results and take them in March or accept my grades. If anybody has had to deal with somebody who suffers from a terminal disease I hope you would see that taking the exams in March on top of my skills and accounts exam would be a disaster. He is now moving into a hospice and we have been told he has a few weeks left (meaning again i'm going to **** up my skills exams).

I do not know what to do, do i contact my firm tell them that I only have a pass or do I wait and pray that somehow I scrape at 60% and get a commendation? Any advice would be great.
    You really should have told both your firm and your LPC provider earlier about the situation you were dealing with. They then could have supported you much better. Doing it retrospectively is far more problematic.

Contact your firm as soon as possible and explain the situation. If they are local to you, if I was you I would ask whether you could meet with them face to face to discuss rather than going back and forth with emails/phone calls.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    You should have declared your circumstances, no matter how loosely mitigating they might have been.

Worth declaring it now, but you will need to evidence with Doctors notes etc. They will want to know why you didn't defer your studies.

I'm sure your reasons are very good, but you must take the initiative and contact them, don't get fobbed off by a jobsworth answering the phone just saying 'no' - you need to have a conversation with them and they should listen

ReputationRep:
    Definitely speak to someone in HR about your circumstances. I'm sure they will understand, particularly as (at the moment) you're only 0.75% away from satisfying their criteria.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.