Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seemed like it would be the best page.

    I'm in year 13 doing A-levels, and wanted to take paramedic practice at university next year but couldn't since you need a full driving licence when you apply. Basically I had to wait until 2017 and apply then which is less than ideal but I didn't have a choice, that is, until now.

    A local(ish) college is running a 'Level 3 Emergency Care Cadet Academy', and I was wondering if anybody here has heard of it, and if it's a valid option for becoming a paramedic. Reading the site, it seems like it might be more of an alternative to A-Levels to get into a university course, but it also says in the further study section it's possible to go straight into employment. If anybody can help out:

    -Can I apply straight to NWAS and be employed as I'd assume an EMT, rather than a full paramedic, or would I have to get a degree/DipHE first?

    -Even if it's more of an A-Levels alternative, would it be worth it since the university courses for paramedic practice value experience, something I don't have yet?

    -I can't see anywhere if I could actually apply since I'd be 18 when this starts.

    So, if I did take this course, even if it was just for experience, I would be putting off taking a DipHE for another year. Although, I'd wager my chances of being accepted onto such a course would increase a lot, but that might not be needed. On top of that, it looks like a really good opportunity and I think I'd really enjoy it more than a year getting by. Basically I can chance it, or double down. Any advice?


    Link: http://www.newtonrigg.ac.uk/courses/...-cadet-academy
    • PS Helper

    PS Helper
    You would need to do the uni course to be a paramedic and to do any other roles such as EMT you would have to do the trusts own internal training anyway. Personally I'd say you'd be better off going out and getting some life experience rather than going back to college if you'll have your A levels anyway.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.