The Student Room Group

Homework help

The tangent at point P(1,1) to the curve x= 1/t, y=t^2 intersects the curve at point Q.
Find the equation of the tangent at P and the co-ordinates of Q.

So using dy/dx = dy/dt divided by dx/dt, I have got the gradient (m) as -2 then subbing in x=1 and y =1 I have got the equation y = -2x + 3. But I do not think this is right as you do not get the co-ordinates of Q which are (-1/2, 4)
Reply 1
Original post by Improvement
The tangent at point P(1,1) to the curve x= 1/t, y=t^2 intersects the curve at point Q.

So using dy/dx = dy/dt divided by dx/dt, I have got the gradient (m) as -2 then subbing in x=1 and y =1 I have got the equation y = -2x + 3. But I do not think this is right as you do not get the co-ordinates of Q which are (-1/2, 4)

the tangent is ok
post a photo of your workings

Your tangent equation is correct.

How are you finding the other point of intersection?

Edit: beat me to it TeeEm, did you do your ... trick :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3

[I'm assuming you are asking how to get the coordinates of Q.]

You have the tangent correct. The tangent intersects your curve at the point Q, so you are looking for when the curve intersects the tangent.

Because your tangent has equation y= -2x +3, you can put it equal to y=t^2.

You can also use the equation x=1/t to find t in terms of x; and substitute accordingly, so you have an equation entirely populated by Xs. Work out the value of x this way, and then find y by substituting into your tangent equation.

I hope my explanation made sense... I'm new to this.
Reply 4

The tangent is right and from that you can get the point Q

as x=1/t and y=t^2 so y=1/x^2

1/x^2=-2x+3 will be a cubic equation but it can be factorized

-2x^3+3x^2-1=0 => -2x^3+2x^2 +x^2 -1=0 => -2x^2(x-1) + (x+1)(x-1)=0
Taking out the common factor you can solve the equation
considering that any of the factors may be zero.
Reply 5
...there's four people all saying the exact same thing.
No Q = 3
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
...there's four people all saying the exact same thing.

Well it's possible we're all wrong :P
Original post by JLegion
Well it's possible we're all wrong :P

What, both Zacken and TeeEm? :toofunny:
Reply 9
Original post by TheOtherSide.
What, both Zacken and TeeEm? :toofunny:

I said possible, not probable :lol:
Original post by JLegion
I said possible, not probable :lol:

Fair enough. I still can't imagine that, but okay :tongue:
Thank you! Most of you were right who said about making 1/x^2 = -2x +3, as you get the right co-ordinates for Q!

Quick Reply

Latest