Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of going back to Uni as a mature student. I have worked 9-5.30 for the last 10 years but not going anywhere up ... so now that I have a child I am re-thinking my life...
    As I would have to manage childcare somehow one of my questions is how many hours would I have to be in classes ? The extra study I can do at night / when the child is in nursery / sundays ...
    (I am thinking of doing economics or finace or something similar ... not decided yet)

Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adinaaaa)
    I am thinking of going back to Uni as a mature student. I have worked 9-5.30 for the last 10 years but not going anywhere up ... so now that I have a child I am re-thinking my life...
    As I would have to manage childcare somehow one of my questions is how many hours would I have to be in classes ? The extra study I can do at night / when the child is in nursery / sundays ...
    (I am thinking of doing economics or finace or something similar ... not decided yet)

Thank you !
    For something like economics/finance, you're probably looking at between 10-15 hours a week. A lot of unis offer flexible childcare on site, which could help you cover your contact time. Using more standard childcare, such as a childminder, may be difficult because your contact hours are likely to change each semester and sometimes during the semester- they're also likely to be split up so you have 2-4 hours of contact time each day, rather than two full days of contact time.

You're usually expected to spend around three times as much time studying outside of your contact hours. It's also worth bearing in mind that there will sometimes be group assignments, so with these you might have to be a bit flexible about when you can meet, as other students may have work commitments in the evening or at weekends.

Most unis are really supportive of student parents though, and if there's a particular uni you're interested in, you could speak to them about what support they can offer you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.