Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UFC 196 - McGregor vs Diaz - who are you picking watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Anyone else excited about this? I found last night's presser pretty entertaining.

McGregor is predicting a late 1st round KO, to be honest this is how I see it going. Big fan of both guys though and I prefer this to the RDA fight.

Who are you guys picking? Do you like this match up?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I fancy McGregor. Hard to look past him really.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I fancy McGregor. Hard to look past him really.
    Yeah man I agree. If he smokes Diaz easy he might get a crack at Lawler seeing as they're fighting at 170.

I also see Connor beating Lawler if it was ever to happen. What you reckon dude, champ at 3 weight classes at once?

ReputationRep:
    Nate Diaz is a fajita.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by TomMaslen)
    ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ??????
    I have no idea what this means

ReputationRep:
    Mcgregor will smash that American
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welterweight Match Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
    Women's Bantamweight Holly Holm (c) vs. Miesha Tate

What a night.

ReputationRep:
    McGregor for the win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Welterweight Match Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz
    Women's Bantamweight Holly Holm (c) vs. Miesha Tate

What a night.
    Holm to TKO Tate.

I feel like McGregor might be TKO'd by Nate.....his time is coming just like Rousey :rofl:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by trapking)
    Holm to TKO Tate.

I feel like McGregor might be TKO'd by Nate.....his time is coming just like Rousey :rofl:
    I agree, Holm KO's Tate, probably within the first two rounds IMO.

In terms of Nate, I'm a massive fan of his, but I just don't see anyway he can win this one. He's very stiff in there and has a very limited arsenal. He's aggressive and Connor is a counter fighter. I'm hoping it's a five round, trash-talking war, but I think McGregor finishes him in the 2nd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    I agree, Holm KO's Tate, probably within the first two rounds IMO.

In terms of Nate, I'm a massive fan of his, but I just don't see anyway he can win this one. He's very stiff in there and has a very limited arsenal. He's aggressive and Connor is a counter fighter. I'm hoping it's a five round, trash-talking war, but I think McGregor finishes him in the 2nd.
    Will be interesting to watch Holm vs Tate....Rousey absolutely killed Tate but maybe she has learnt how to improve her defense so will be interesting to see how Holly takes this one. If Tate wins this I know Rousey will be coming back to beat that hoe...the hate between those two is real :rofl:

As for McGregor im starting to think he might be on roids because they are gonna be fighting at 170 yet with very few weeks to go he was supposed to be fighting at 155 with Dos Anjos....its a bit of a big jump and you cant put on solid muscle mass in that short amount of time unless youre on some kind of PED unless he comes in looking a bit chubbier then we know he's natural.

Nate's one scary looking mofo you can tell just by looling at him he loves to get dirty and brawl :lol:

I like Conors movement its different he's relaxed and doesnt do anything stupid. Btw Silva won against Bisping what kind of b.s. decision was that? :lolwut:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    McGregor should probably win by knockout, I'd guess some time in the second round.

I see the card going

Mcgregor (via second round knockout)
    Holm (via close decision)
    Latifi (via hulk smash)
    Lawlor (but very hard to call).
    Nunes (in what could be a great fight)

There is a great fight the Fight Pass prelims too: Jim Miller vs. Diego Sanchez. I'm going to take Jim.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by trapking)
    Will be interesting to watch Holm vs Tate....Rousey absolutely killed Tate but maybe she has learnt how to improve her defense so will be interesting to see how Holly takes this one. If Tate wins this I know Rousey will be coming back to beat that hoe...the hate between those two is real :rofl:

As for McGregor im starting to think he might be on roids because they are gonna be fighting at 170 yet with very few weeks to go he was supposed to be fighting at 155 with Dos Anjos....its a bit of a big jump and you cant put on solid muscle mass in that short amount of time unless youre on some kind of PED unless he comes in looking a bit chubbier then we know he's natural.

Nate's one scary looking mofo you can tell just by looling at him he loves to get dirty and brawl :lol:

I like Conors movement its different he's relaxed and doesnt do anything stupid. Btw Silva won against Bisping what kind of b.s. decision was that? :lolwut:
    The Silva v Bisbing decision was one of those that could have gone either way. Honestly it would have been Bisbing's without the controversy had he not stopped fighting mid way during an exchange in the 3rd round, asked for his mouth piece and eaten a knee for his stupidity. I'm pleased to see him win a big fight though, he's lost against so many roiders over the years.

I think Connor normally walks around at 170 - 180 lbs and cuts a sh*t tonne of weight normally to get to 145 - he looks like a heroin addict on weigh in day! Whether he's on roids or not I'm not sure, but I don't think he's had to gain weight for this fight, it just means he won't have to cut it.

Having said that if he was to go up against a big 170 pounder that does cut a lot of weight, he'd look very small. Connor vs Lawler would be epic!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    McGregor should probably win by knockout, I'd guess some time in the second round.

I see the card going

Mcgregor (via second round knockout)
    Holm (via close decision)
    Latifi (via hulk smash)
    Lawlor (but very hard to call).
    Nunes (in what could be a great fight)

There is a great fight the Fight Pass prelims too: Jim Miller vs. Diego Sanchez. I'm going to take Jim.
    Yeah I can't argue much with those picks dude. I can't believe Lawlor is back on the main card of a major UFC event. Apart from the main and co-main it's quite a weak card. I remember when Lawlor and Ryan Bader were looking pretty evenly matched back in the TUF days, but Lawlor never lived up to expectation.

I do think Holm will KO Tate though. I struggle to see Tate making it out of the 2nd.

Yeah the Nunes fight should be good. The women's fights are quite often the best fights on the cards these days...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The Silva v Bisbing decision was one of those that could have gone either way. Honestly it would have been Bisbing's without the controversy had he not stopped fighting mid way during an exchange in the 3rd round, asked for his mouth piece and eaten a knee for his stupidity. I'm pleased to see him win a big fight though, he's lost against so many roiders over the years.

I think Connor normally walks around at 170 - 180 lbs and cuts a sh*t tonne of weight normally to get to 145 - he looks like a heroin addict on weigh in day! Whether he's on roids or not I'm not sure, but I don't think he's had to gain weight for this fight, it just means he won't have to cut it.

Having said that if he was to go up against a big 170 pounder that does cut a lot of weight, he'd look very small. Connor vs Lawler would be epic!
    1) I think Bisping clearly had the better of the fight and deserved the victory, but he should have known better than to stop protecting himself like that. I was surprised that Anderson felt he could showboat when he wasn't looking anything like as sharp as he has in the past but I suppose it is just who he is. I'll never forget his fight with Griffin or, more importantly, Griffin's interview afterwards.
    2) Conor does indeed walk around at that weight but I am quite certain that currently Lawler would win pretty easily. We have to remember that people in that weight class routines walk around over 200 pounds. I think Hendricks until recently walked around at over 210.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah I can't argue much with those picks dude. I can't believe Lawlor is back on the main card of a major UFC event. Apart from the main and co-main it's quite a weak card. I remember when Lawlor and Ryan Bader were looking pretty evenly matched back in the TUF days, but Lawlor never lived up to expectation.

I do think Holm will KO Tate though. I struggle to see Tate making it out of the 2nd.

Yeah the Nunes fight should be good. The women's fights are quite often the best fights on the cards these days...
    It is a weak card but I am still pretty hyped. I will be watching it with one of my mates over pizza and whiskey as usual.

I am unconvinced by Holm yet. I think I buy that Ronda had her brain fizzled early and was a shell in that fight. This isn't so say that Holm can't or won't do it again I'm just not sure she is the killer people think she is and Misha is a very good fighter who will have a reasonably gameplan to test her. I think Holm wins but not easily. If she kicks Misha's head into the crowd though, I am sold!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    1) I think Bisping clearly had the better of the fight and deserved the victory, but he should have known better than to stop protecting himself like that. I was surprised that Anderson felt he could showboat when he wasn't looking anything like as sharp as he has in the past but I suppose it is just who he is. I'll never forget his fight with Griffin or, more importantly, Griffin's interview afterwards.
    2) Conor does indeed walk around at that weight but I am quite certain that currently Lawler would win pretty easily. We have to remember that people in that weight class routines walk around over 200 pounds. I think Hendricks until recently walked around at over 210.
    Griffin's interview after his last fight with Tito was pure gold and very bizarre! Even more so than when he ran away after Silva made him look like a talent less bum.

Yeah points 1&2 you've pretty much summed up what I think. I do think Bisbing deserved to win, but it could have gone either way. Plus the first thing you learn in your first ever martial arts class is NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR OPPONENT - especially when it's Anderson Silva!

And yeah, Connor will look very very small next to Lawler. I still think it would be a brilliant fight though, but Connor would struggle with the big wrestlers at 170 that could just pin him down for 5 rounds...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It is a weak card but I am still pretty hyped. I will be watching it with one of my mates over pizza and whiskey as usual.

I am unconvinced by Holm yet. I think I buy that Ronda had her brain fizzled early and was a shell in that fight. This isn't so say that Holm can't or won't do it again I'm just not sure she is the killer people think she is and Misha is a very good fighter who will have a reasonably gameplan to test her. I think Holm wins but not easily. If she kicks Misha's head into the crowd though, I am sold!
    It's hard to disagree with that dude. We'll see what Holly is made of on Sunday morning I reckon she'll surprise you

Out of interest, what fight were you more excited for - McGregor v Diaz or McGregor v RDA?

ReputationRep:
    Anderson just wasnt as aggressive against bisping like he usually is...I was waiting for him to finish Bisping when he was dazed but he hesitated!

Oh well he will still be a great! The spider legacy lives on
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's hard to disagree with that dude. We'll see what Holly is made of on Sunday morning I reckon she'll surprise you

Out of interest, what fight were you more excited for - McGregor v Diaz or McGregor v RDA?
    RDA definitely. I have rated RDA very highly for some time and think that will be a fantastic fight. I love the Diaz brothers but I don't think either of them have a very good chance of beating Conor.

Griffin's interview after his last fight with Tito was pure gold and very bizarre! Even more so than when he ran away after Silva made him look like a talent less bum.

Yeah points 1&2 you've pretty much summed up what I think. I do think Bisbing deserved to win, but it could have gone either way. Plus the first thing you learn in your first ever martial arts class is NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR OPPONENT - especially when it's Anderson Silva!

And yeah, Connor will look very very small next to Lawler. I still think it would be a brilliant fight though, but Connor would struggle with the big wrestlers at 170 that could just pin him down for 5 rounds...
    I love Griffin, and his books are great fun if you are so inclined.

I would not have been angry with an Anderson win but I wouldn't have thought is was correct. Broadly, that is the majority opinion across media outlets as well.

Conor would need to take quite a while to get big enough for the division I think and it may be a bit of a stretch for him. I love his attitude though, it is the same thing I always loved about BJ. Fight anyone, anytime.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.