Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't know how to tell staff that I am depressed and missing lectures/seminars Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was sent an email a few days ago by a senior tutor telling me that I had to attend a meeting about my lack of attendance in two of my modules. However, I really don't know how to go about telling them that I've been really struggling to find any motivation to go to the lectures, which I find odd myself as I love the course. Over the past few months I have been getting more and more anxious and depressed and I think this is the cause of my poor attendance but I've never told anyone this, and so this would be the first time I told anyone, and this really scares me. Of course the idea of having a meeting with people who are all angry over my lack of attendance frightens me even more, and none of this is helping me at all and I'm just feeling even worse now. How lenient do you thin the people will be, I have no idea at all.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloC)
    Hi, I was sent an email a few days ago by a senior tutor telling me that I had to attend a meeting about my lack of attendance in two of my modules. However, I really don't know how to go about telling them that I've been really struggling to find any motivation to go to the lectures, which I find odd myself as I love the course. Over the past few months I have been getting more and more anxious and depressed and I think this is the cause of my poor attendance but I've never told anyone this, and so this would be the first time I told anyone, and this really scares me. Of course the idea of having a meeting with people who are all angry over my lack of attendance frightens me even more, and none of this is helping me at all and I'm just feeling even worse now. How lenient do you thin the people will be, I have no idea at all.

Thanks
    isn't this a circle? No motivation and more depression and anxiousness⇌poor attendance

Surely this'll be some sort of reform thing to get your attendance back on track? If that's the case then i'm certain they won't be nasty

ReputationRep:
    The university don't want you to to fail out of the course so I'd imagine that as long as you can put an action plan in place and try and change your behaviour people will be understanding. You would of course have the option of contacting a student representative or your disability service and seeing if someone will come with you for support. It is really important to be open, they will be able to help you and put proper support in place for you if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloC)

Thanks
    Moved to mental health, you're probably more likely to get some helpful replies here OP.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time, have you been to see your GP to speak about how you've been feeling? If you haven't, this might be a good place to start. Your university will offer some sort of counselling service as well, you should be able to find out how to access them through your student support office, or your students union. If you feel you're not able to do this, why not try speaking with a friend first and letting them know how you've been feeling, talking to people and getting how we feel out into the open can be a good first step to getting help.

Your tutors won't be angry about your lack of attendance, they've arranged this meeting to find out why you've not been attending because they don't know why you've not been attending. Be honest with them and explain what's been going on, they won't tell you off, in the end you're in university by choice, you're a customer and they'll want to make sure you continue being a student and are able to meet your learning outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    /]=[-P0O98I7TR][poiuytr3456U77/*It shouldn't be a telling off session - but they will want to see that you've recognised there's a problem and are doing something about it.

there are some sources of help mentioned already./*-'
    [email protected]

532q``1ty7u86i9o0-
    7+-

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.