Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 21 year old male. I graduated last year July, then went to work abroad for a few months. Now I'm back home in London. I studied at a university up north, so my friends are all over the place and hardly any in London. It didn't help that I made tons of international friends and friends in the years below me. Now I'm left with pretty much nil friends in London. I didn't have facebook before university so there are no friends I'm still in touch with from school. I'm also unemployed at the moment, and part of the reason is that I'm depressed and lack of a social life is a big contributing factor.

I'm not at all interested in sports, so joining such a club would be pretty boring for me. I also have limited funds due to being unemployed. I've tried meetup.com but there are few things of interest there, lots of dancing, business and paid events that I have no interest in. There are things like language exchanges and talk to strangers events which I really like the idea of, but hardly anyone attends (from personal experience) and a fee is charged on top of that. I also should note that I don't drink alcohol.

I want to meet people in my age bracket 18-26, but it's seeming impossible. I am a very sociable person, I love meeting people and found it easy at university. I do have many interests, but outside of university none of these seem to manifest into any sort of social event. At university I was active in the tea appreciation society, study abroad society, baking society, humanists society, philosophy society and the public speaking society.

So, how can I make friends?

ReputationRep:
    Getting a job will definitely help. You'll make a wide variety of people at work, and it will give you the money to go to paid events and meet more people. Sitting at home won't help at all, you need to put yourself out there. Thus getting a job is a great start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choqolate)
    I'm a 21 year old male. I graduated last year July, then went to work abroad for a few months. Now I'm back home in London. I studied at a university up north, so my friends are all over the place and hardly any in London. It didn't help that I made tons of international friends and friends in the years below me. Now I'm left with pretty much nil friends in London. I didn't have facebook before university so there are no friends I'm still in touch with from school. I'm also unemployed at the moment, and part of the reason is that I'm depressed and lack of a social life is a big contributing factor.

I'm not at all interested in sports, so joining such a club would be pretty boring for me. I also have limited funds due to being unemployed. I've tried meetup.com but there are few things of interest there, lots of dancing, business and paid events that I have no interest in. There are things like language exchanges and talk to strangers events which I really like the idea of, but hardly anyone attends (from personal experience) and a fee is charged on top of that. I also should note that I don't drink alcohol.

I want to meet people in my age bracket 18-26, but it's seeming impossible. I am a very sociable person, I love meeting people and found it easy at university. I do have many interests, but outside of university none of these seem to manifest into any sort of social event. At university I was active in the tea appreciation society, study abroad society, baking society, humanists society, philosophy society and the public speaking society.

So, how can I make friends?
    tis a thing im thinking about too

gotta put yourself out there
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Getting a job will definitely help. You'll make a wide variety of people at work, and it will give you the money to go to paid events and meet more people. Sitting at home won't help at all, you need to put yourself out there. Thus getting a job is a great start.
    I dont see how work is great tbh unless theyre sound staff or tis a big workforce

In london theres loads going on! loads of young people in your situation ...just give everything a go

ReputationRep:
    get a job the youll make friends from colleagues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    tis a thing im thinking about too

gotta put yourself out there

I dont see how work is great tbh unless theyre sound staff or tis a big workforce

In london theres loads going on! loads of young people in your situation ...just give everything a go
    The OP is complaining about being broke and not being able to afford to go to events, and yet they don't appear to be looking for a job. If they get a job they can befriend work colleagues and earn money to go to the events that they want to go to (which they currently can't afford)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    The OP is complaining about being broke and not being able to afford to go to events, and yet they don't appear to be looking for a job. If they get a job they can befriend work colleagues and earn money to go to the events that they want to go to (which they currently can't afford)
    Say I did have funds, how would you suggest I use it to help me make friends?
    If it was as simple as getting a job to fund events to go to I'd get any one I could in a heartbeat. My problem is that I can't see any events that would fit my interests, which is why I posted here. To get some recommendations instead of being told to "get a job!" It's interesting that you chose to read what you wanted to read and somehow managed to interpret my post as "complaining about being broke", when I only mentioned limited funds. Wouldn't you say that someone who is trying to figure out how they could make the most of their situation is doing anything but complaining?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.