Turn on thread page Beta

False positive pregnancy test? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I had unprotected sex with a girl in December. I am a very paranoid person so asked her to do a pregnancy test last Monday, she did two in the evening one came back positive the other negative.

The next morning we went to the doctors and did one there which came back negative, followed by another at a GUM clinic in the evening (after drinking allot of water) which came back negative.

Still paranoid she was pregnant we went back to the doctors on the Thursday and did another there which was negativity and they also took a urine sample to do a laboratory test which has also come back negative.

She does not get periods as she was on the injection, however she was late getting the injection around the time we had sex.

Is there any chance she could be preganent or am I safe to assume it was a false positive? The tests used were Clear Blue Digital, not cheap ones.

ReputationRep:
    You can assume it was a false positive. Five other tests have come back negative, including doctor's tests and GUM tests. You can relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    You can assume it was a false positive. Five other tests have come back negative, including doctor's tests and GUM tests. You can relax.
    Just so concerned though. Firstly for two of the doctors tests she drank alot of water before hand, and the test that came back positive had the right months on it for her being pregnant.

She has also put on weight and is being sick in the mornings but that could be to do with her anxiety.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by blackstars26)
    Just so concerned though. Firstly for two of the doctors tests she drank alot of water before hand, and the test that came back positive had the right months on it for her being pregnant.

She has also put on weight and is being sick in the mornings but that could be to do with her anxiety.
    That sounds like the stress of it all may be causing that.

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately there's nothing we can tell you. People on the student room can't help you, we can't diagnose her over the Internet. Go and get a scan if you're that worried and the doctor will be able to tell you for definite whether or not there's a fetus growing in there.

To me, though, it sounds like it's just stress.

ReputationRep:
    As the above poster said get a scan done if your worried,

ReputationRep:
    So I had unprotected sex with a girl in December. I am a very paranoid person so asked her to do a pregnancy test last Monday, she did two in the evening one came back positive the other negative.

The next morning we went to the doctors and did one there which came back negative, followed by another at a GUM clinic in the evening (after drinking allot of water) which came back negative.

Still paranoid she was pregnant we went back to the doctors on the Thursday and did another there which was negativity and they also took a urine sample to do a laboratory test which has also come back negative.

She does not get periods as she was on the injection, however she was late getting the injection around the time we had sex.

Is there any chance she could be preganent or am I safe to assume it was a false positive? The tests used were Clear Blue Digital, not cheap ones.
    dude, im pretty sure if she was pregnant she would start seeing symptoms of early pregnancy, such as morning sickness etc but seeing as she had had it confirmed by experts (doctors) on more than one occasion, i would say you need to chill, she aint up the duff man

ReputationRep:
    Clear Blues actually have lower sensitivity than a lot of cheaper tests (and are a waste of money!) and false positives are extremely rare. By drinking loads of water she will have diluted her urine so the pregnancy hormone would be weaker and less detectable. However, if the only time you had unprotected sex was back in December, she should be at least 8 weeks by now and so you would expect any test to be strongly positive very quickly. If she's unsure, she should retest in a week or so, using the first urine of the morning, which is most concentrated. No need to waste more money on Clear Blue digitals though - own brand tests are just as reliable!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.