Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever had depression? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever had depression?
    Yes
    56.57%
    No
    31.51%
    No- but I have experienced other mental health issues
    11.92%

ReputationRep:
    University Mental Health Day is coming up and as a student community we have the ability to join our voices together and make colleges and universities more aware of student mental health.

Vote on the poll (it's anonymous) and tell us whether you have ever had depression to help us put our experiences together.

If you have any ideas on how colleges and unis could help their students out more with mental health, post them below!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am currently suffering from it right now.

ReputationRep:
    technically yeah, although I found the diagnosis rather unhelpful for recovery, imo I think it's silly to continue to label people as having problems; they're just them, and, maybe they need help, this doesn't really make them "depressed" because they won't be depressed forever.
    Two people who 'have depression' are most likely not experiencing the same things, and need different care to 'get better' : so why do we put them in the same bracket and treat them equally? -Yes it may be 'easier' and probably in many circumstances it's fine etc but the over-diagnosis (from my experiences) is not particularly constructive; just helping individuals is a better way of doing it-- and I'm sort of sad it's impractical I guess(?)

*sigh*

im just talking off my head here
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ON A SIDE NOTE:
    when people are like: it's all in your head
    it is literally all in your head
    and I totally get the comparison to a mental / physical health illness, so the same way the above statement is true, saying to someone with a broken leg 'it's all in your leg'

yeah

Idk why I wanted to share that though lol

everyone's experiences are different, and it's almost impossible to imagine how others, like, relate to themselves (am I making sense?? probably not. ill stop)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milzime)
    technically yeah, although I found the diagnosis rather unhelpful for recovery, imo I think it's silly to continue to label people as having problems; they're just them, and, maybe they need help, this doesn't really make them "depressed" because they won't be depressed forever.
    Two people who 'have depression' are most likely not experiencing the same things, and need different care to 'get better' : so why do we put them in the same bracket and treat them equally? -Yes it may be 'easier' and probably in many circumstances it's fine etc but the over-diagnosis (from my experiences) is not particularly constructive; just helping individuals is a better way of doing it-- and I'm sort of sad it's impractical I guess(?)

*sigh*

im just talking off my head here
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ON A SIDE NOTE:
    when people are like: it's all in your head
    it is literally all in your head
    and I totally get the comparison to a mental / physical health illness, so the same way the above statement is true, saying to someone with a broken leg 'it's all in your leg'

yeah

Idk why I wanted to share that though lol

everyone's experiences are different, and it's almost impossible to imagine how others, like, relate to themselves (am I making sense?? probably not. ill stop)
    I completely agree with in some aspects and overzealous labelling is certainly not always helpful. But again, picking up on what you have said... all people are different and some people prefer to have a diagnosis and find it helpful overall. I think it depends though on what type of person you are, you don't want the diagnosis to begin to 'define' you like I can't do X because I've got X condition but at the same time they are clinical terms and if you get a correct diagnosis they will inform your management and medication.

My final diagnosis from all of my issues with depression is actually something quite rare and having the specificity actually helped me because I felt as though wow, the fact all these things I'm feeling are a thing represents that other people out there are feeling the same as me. That solidarity with people I don't even know made me feel less alone.

I wrote some blog posts about mental health recently on my TSR blog. Check them out if you are interested.

Misunderstanding in Mental Health

Anti depressants experience
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    University Mental Health Day is coming up and as a student community we have the ability to join our voices together and make colleges and universities more aware of student mental health.

Vote on the poll (it's anonymous) and tell us whether you have ever had depression to help us put our experiences together.

If you have any ideas on how colleges and unis could help their students out more with mental health, post them below!
    You me beat to the thread I was going to make in preparation for the one I'm thread I'm going to make for the day itself

Also; I've got depression myself and like I honestly can't fault my university - they've been nothing but brilliant. They helped me with my Disabled Student Allowance application; put safety nets in place such extended deadlines if I need them; extended library loans; small rooms for exams etc.

My counselling service too have been great too; they know the level of support I need/want from them and they've supported this - I just go and see them for an hour every couple of months to let them know how I'm doing More universities could and should take a page out of mine

ReputationRep:
    I got diagnosed it by my gp last year, I didn't follow up as I didn't want to go through with taking meds. I guess the diagnosis kind of helped itself, I knew then that the way I was thinking wasn't normal and I needed to change it. I'm not as bad now but still struggle, I just find ways to keep myself busy.

I found my university was helpful as it did constantly remind us of their department that helps with these issues. As long as students are made aware there is support available and they provide it, then they're doing their job.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Yup, been diagnosed with depression twice and OCD.

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed last year, along with anxiety and PTSD (and an eating disorder, but I'm not sure of the specific one? They've not put it in my notes...), but my old psychiatrist says I've probably had these problems since I was a kid. Either way my university are amazing. Helped me apply for DSA, gave me counselling for 16 weeks last year (it's usually only 6 weeks long) because I was struggling so much and my CMHT were being useless (still are being useless but meh...). They liaise with my department when I'm having troubles too and help with exam arrangements. I also have a mentor on DSA and she's been great with helping me structure my time, supports me when I'm finding things really difficult and motivates me when I can't motivate myself to do anything.

Overall, my university have been amazing. Wouldn't be in my final year on course for a first without them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    You me beat to the thread I was going to make in preparation for the one I'm thread I'm going to make for the day itself

Also; I've got depression myself and like I honestly can't fault my university - they've been nothing but brilliant. They helped me with my Disabled Student Allowance application; put safety nets in place such extended deadlines if I need them; extended library loans; small rooms for exams etc.

My counselling service too have been great too; they know the level of support I need/want from them and they've supported this - I just go and see them for an hour every couple of months to let them know how I'm doing More universities could and should take a page out of mine

Oh sorry! I look forward to seeing your thread on the day though

That's so great that you feel so supported by your uni, I know a few people on the site have said they feel too nervous to tell lecturers and I can see where they are coming from. I hope that all unis will end up being as awesome as yours with mental health support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    I got diagnosed it by my gp last year, I didn't follow up as I didn't want to go through with taking meds. I guess the diagnosis kind of helped itself, I knew then that the way I was thinking wasn't normal and I needed to change it. I'm not as bad now but still struggle, I just find ways to keep myself busy.

I found my university was helpful as it did constantly remind us of their department that helps with these issues. As long as students are made aware there is support available and they provide it, then they're doing their job.
    That's interesting that you didn't feel you wanted to follow up due to the meds, it is definitely something GPs will suggest but they should also offer you counselling services on the NHS which might be worthwhile if you still struggle at times.

Have you found others ways to cope when you feel you are going through a bout of depression? Anything you could recommend for others?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Oh sorry! I look forward to seeing your thread on the day though

That's so great that you feel so supported by your uni, I know a few people on the site have said they feel too nervous to tell lecturers and I can see where they are coming from. I hope that all unis will end up being as awesome as yours with mental health support.
    You've beaten me to the general idea of it so it might not be worth me doing one for it

I can definitely see why people would be nervous! I was nervous about even stating it in my UCAS application as I was worried they'd discriminate against for me this (they legally can't I know!) but I'm so glad I did! I don't use many of the safety nets I have in place but just the fact they're 'there' helps almost subconsciously

ReputationRep:
    i don't know - never been to the doctor's about it...

ReputationRep:
    lol, as of right now 60% of TSR users have depression, what a joke...

Feeling sad for a few minutes is normal; however, it does not equate to depression. Damnit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Bath_Student)

Feeling sad for a few minutes is normal; however, it does not equate to depression. Damnit.
    Slightly old but still recent: http://nightline.ac.uk/2013/06/depre...-student-life/ Might be worth a look

Also the poll says 'had' depression which past tense meaning people who have had depression but have recovered could also answer 'Yes'

Which they have said they have been diagnosed with it. By a professional. You're right, it's not a joke, so don't make such snarky comments on a topic like this. It's rather rude and inconsiderate for those that have to face it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, still going through it right now but my mh has definitely improved dramatically and I know I can beat it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've had it and still currently do. I've always had it as a sort of side effect of other MH conditions such as OCD and panic disorder but that makes it no less severe than if I just had depression on it's own. It's a horrible condition and I wouldn't wish that or any other MH illness on my worst enemy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've suffered from depression before when I was a bit younger, and it was mainly due to a combination of family issues, exam stress and nonexistent self-esteem. But I'm glad to say that I dug myself out of that deep dark hole and I'm in a really good place right now. It just takes time and the support of decent people

ReputationRep:

Do you really think that this sample is representative of the entire TSR? Due to the title, the people who have had to deal with depression are the most likely to come to this thread and actually vote. People who never even thought about it will rarely vote here, which is why the percentage is so high.

ReputationRep:
    Yes for a couple of years now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.