Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever had depression? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever had depression?
    Yes
    56.57%
    No
    31.51%
    No- but I have experienced other mental health issues
    11.92%

ReputationRep:
    I had a pretty unhappy childhood (trouble at home, death of someone close to me, lots of bullying, cry myself to sleep) and wanted to kill myself when I was 12. Even in my last few years of school I was extremely unhappy but I never thought I had "depression". I just got on with things - I look back now and wonder how the **** I managed to keep going. In my 1st year at university things reached an apex and I was diagnosed with depression. I took antidepressants for a number of years and had therapy and I eventually managed to crawl out of that pit. Things still aren't great - I've been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder - but I don't feel that same agony that filled most of my childhood and teenage years.

ReputationRep:
    I think I did/maybe still do, but I've never been formally diagnosed…

ReputationRep:
    I've had it ever since I was a child, and a few months ago was finally put onto medication after declining it for so long. Things are a lot better than they ever have been - and this year I am determined to not let it get the best of me and kick it for good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    You me beat to the thread I was going to make in preparation for the one I'm thread I'm going to make for the day itself

Also; I've got depression myself and like I honestly can't fault my university - they've been nothing but brilliant. They helped me with my Disabled Student Allowance application; put safety nets in place such extended deadlines if I need them; extended library loans; small rooms for exams etc.

My counselling service too have been great too; they know the level of support I need/want from them and they've supported this - I just go and see them for an hour every couple of months to let them know how I'm doing More universities could and should take a page out of mine
    that's really good i'm so happy that at least your university does support you with all this because at my uni they didn't do anything, they even told me that i shouldn't apply for the disabled student allowance as it was 'a complete waste of time' and all i was given was a consellour and just had weekly/fornightly session which didn't really help

ReputationRep:
    Had it for the past 10 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bookworm246love)
    that's really good i'm so happy that at least your university does support you with all this because at my uni they didn't do anything, they even told me that i shouldn't apply for the disabled student allowance as it was 'a complete waste of time' and all i was given was a consellour and just had weekly/fornightly session which didn't really help
    They've been close to faultless with it all I think you should apply for DSA regardless of what your university thinks because it 'being a complete waste of time' couldn't be further from the truth ^_^

ReputationRep:
    They've been close to faultless with it all I think you should apply for DSA regardless of what your university thinks because it 'being a complete waste of time' couldn't be further from the truth ^_^
    i know but even my school said that :rofl: can you only apply at the start of the year or during it too?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    i know but even my school said that :rofl: can you only apply at the start of the year or during it too?
    Nopes! You could start your application for it now

ReputationRep:
    Nopes! You could start your application for it now
    okay thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    okay thank you
    I think you should DSA is fantastic. I got money towards a laptop (you can get a free one but I wanted one with a better specification); a free dictaphone to record lectures; a free printer; I get printer ink free; my internet costs and photocopying costs back, along with money towards books

ReputationRep:
    I think you should DSA is fantastic. I got money towards a laptop (you can get a free one but I wanted one with a better specification); a free dictaphone to record lectures; a free printer; I get printer ink free; my internet costs and photocopying costs back, along with money towards books
    what? that's crazy, i do already have one which i got with a student discount (it's a macbook air), don't have a printer and anything else... a dictaphone would be so useful though, although the one of the lecturer does sometimes record the lecture in a video format and them paying for your internet costs and photocopying is so useful

books? just academic ones i suppose?

ReputationRep:
    Was diagnosed with it in August and given meds. I didn't like the idea of relying on pills so I tried to curb it in my own ways. I don't feel it everyday like I used to (I used to hate getting out of bed, overate, cried all the time and had no motivation to do anything because I was convinced I couldn't do it) but it's been coming in bouts. The bouts can last for a few hours to a few days. And they're absolutely horrible to go through.

I wish I had been diagnosed sooner. I had been depressed for years without realising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milzime)
    technically yeah, although I found the diagnosis rather unhelpful for recovery, imo I think it's silly to continue to label people as having problems; they're just them, and, maybe they need help, this doesn't really make them "depressed" because they won't be depressed forever.
    Two people who 'have depression' are most likely not experiencing the same things, and need different care to 'get better' : so why do we put them in the same bracket and treat them equally? -Yes it may be 'easier' and probably in many circumstances it's fine etc but the over-diagnosis (from my experiences) is not particularly constructive; just helping individuals is a better way of doing it-- and I'm sort of sad it's impractical I guess(?)

*sigh*

im just talking off my head here
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ON A SIDE NOTE:
    when people are like: it's all in your head
    it is literally all in your head
    and I totally get the comparison to a mental / physical health illness, so the same way the above statement is true, saying to someone with a broken leg 'it's all in your leg'

yeah

Idk why I wanted to share that though lol

everyone's experiences are different, and it's almost impossible to imagine how others, like, relate to themselves (am I making sense?? probably not. ill stop)
    I know you wrote this a long time ago but i just saw it and i totally agree with what you said, especially all that in your 'side note' lol. Two years back I had this hormone problem and went through depression. ANd i was rude and did stupid stuff but what's sad is even though evryone around say they 'understand', a lot of them still thought I was just making it all up "Trying to grab attention". And for all the things i said and did, I am forced to take responsibility although it was all my hormones doing. I personally dont remember everything that happend and what i remember, i can only cringe and feel guilty for doing things i didnt really have control on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Was diagnosed with it in August and given meds. I didn't like the idea of relying on pills so I tried to curb it in my own ways. I don't feel it everyday like I used to (I used to hate getting out of bed, overate, cried all the time and had no motivation to do anything because I was convinced I couldn't do it) but it's been coming in bouts. The bouts can last for a few hours to a few days. And they're absolutely horrible to go through.
    I wish I had been diagnosed sooner. I had been depressed for years without realising.
    It wont be for long, so dont worry. Everyone hates the idea of having to depend on pills and i used to simply lie to my parents I took them..but it made it worse for me. So you just have to slowly get that strength to get tht will power and be able to control yourself. For me, it didnt make sense to have pills particularly because i was convinced that i was normal. I felt sad because of the horrible way life and society was and pills cant change that, can they? That's what i thought but they actually CAN change evrything aorund you.
    Atleast you've been diagnosed now. Look out for people around you who seem to be moody or depressed and try to find out if they might be going through clinical depression and try your best to help them out. Maybe they just need a hug and a few soothing words..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.