Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently in level 1 of a BEng mechanical engineering (with an integrated foundation year) degree, and so my Student Finance agreement is currently for four years - foundation year, level 1, level 2, level 3.

    I've been getting good grades and my university would allow me to switch to the mechanical engineering with a year in industry degree, and it's something I'm very keen to do. However, it means that my 4-year degree would then become 5-years, taking into account the year in industry which would be between level 2 and 3. My question is, would I be able to get Student Finance loans for this extra year?

    I should mention that I also received a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan for a one year Access to Higher Education course I took just before I started university, if that has to be taken into consideration.

    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Frankston

    If you go into a 5 year course it simply means you will have used your gift year if you start from the beginning again. To maintain the same level of support you are currently getting, please ask the university to send us a transfer, if you decide on this route.


University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.