Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it advisable to take further maths at A level if I havn't done additional maths at GCSE? I am currently doing Higher Maths GCSE and predicted A* but I am not doing the additional maths qualification. Is further maths challenging?

ReputationRep:
    If you want. It's challenging to some.

ReputationRep:
    Further maths as is meh. A2 is where is gets real hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niolsh55)
    Is it advisable to take further maths at A level if I havn't done additional maths at GCSE? I am currently doing Higher Maths GCSE and predicted A* but I am not doing the additional maths qualification. Is further maths challenging?
    It is only challenging for those who aren't particularly talented at maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niolsh55)
    I never did additional maths GCSE but I do A level FM and I'm going for an A*. Also, if you do further maths, it helps you do better on your normal maths A level cause you'll find it easier

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's absolutely fine. Chances are if you're good enough, having taken add. maths GCSE won't make much of a difference to whether or not you get an A* in FM
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yes. I had never heard of add Maths until people at uni in the first year were talking about it but I coped with Further Maths, just took a lot of practice and interest in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I currently find that Ad Maths GCSE only really helps in AS Maths, as many of the same topics are covered again. In AS/A2 Further Maths however, pretty much all of the topics are new to you, so as long as you can understand new mathematical concepts fine, and you actually understand what you're doing and why you're doing things instead of just computing things, it's possible for you to do well in A Level Further Maths. Of course, you'll have to put in a lot of work just like most other people, unless you're particularly gifted.
    Having said that though, the style of A Level Further Maths is quite different to GCSE Maths. Are you certain you'd want to do it?
    I should also point out that yes, there will always be some people who can do A Level FM and get an A* without Ad Maths, but I imagine that this is a small minority of people. I attend a grammar school, and everyone in my year, bar 1 person, who hasn't done Ad Maths but is doing AS Maths is currently doing quite a bit worse than those that have done Ad Maths. (No non-AdMaths people are taking Further Maths at my school.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsk)
    I should also point out that yes, there will always be some people who can do A Level FM and get an A* without Ad Maths, but I imagine that this is a small minority of people.
    Isn't Additional Maths a quite rare thing that most schools don't offer? Thus the vast majority of people doing FM A level never have done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsk)
    I currently find that Ad Maths GCSE only really helps in AS Maths, as many of the same topics are covered again. In AS/A2 Further Maths however, pretty much all of the topics are new to you, so as long as you can understand new mathematical concepts fine, and you actually understand what you're doing and why you're doing things instead of just computing things, it's possible for you to do well in A Level Further Maths. Of course, you'll have to put in a lot of work just like most other people, unless you're particularly gifted.
    Having said that though, the style of A Level Further Maths is quite different to GCSE Maths. Are you certain you'd want to do it?
    I should also point out that yes, there will always be some people who can do A Level FM and get an A* without Ad Maths, but I imagine that this is a small minority of people. I attend a grammar school, and everyone in my year, bar 1 person, who hasn't done Ad Maths but is doing AS Maths is currently doing quite a bit worse than those that have done Ad Maths. (No non-AdMaths people are taking Further Maths at my school.)
    Not true at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsk)
    I completely agree with additional maths gcse helping with AS maths. Makes it a lot easier in my opinion

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.