Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
does any one have any cosmology notes as i really need some help, thanks
misty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ditto that! hehehe- nowhere has any- i seaarched forever!!
Nemesis420
it look like i have to start reading the book again, that book is sooo boring and confusing specially the names of the scientist. So many to remember anyway thanks
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just bumping this as im desperate!
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ask some questions... I don't have cosmology notes (and I'm not going to type up what I know about it)... but I might be able to help you, as well as lots of other people.
Fluffstar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wrote myself a list of the equations/laws/derivations a while back - its by NO MEANS comprehensive (i.e. - please read the book too! i don't wanna be blamed for being wrong!) and there's probably a few little errors on there - but if its of any help to you guys...

(its handwritten so I apologise for my handwriting! )

If you have the OCR skinny book (blue, cool pic of moon on it) theres great summary sections at the end of each chapter that are brill for revision; if ya dont wanna read the whole thing (i dunno what was up with the guy who wrote it - the text puts me to sleep!)

I can't upload it because its too big (870kB .pdf), but email me f l o w e r 5 6 7 {at} hot-mail /dot com (just to stp spammers) and ill send it to you as an attachment.

Hope this helps...
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
aww thanks- ive just found a site- http://www.danyey.co.uk/cos_i.html
so if i get stuck ill come an ask- thanks a million x
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffstar)
I wrote myself a list of the equations/laws/derivations a while back - its by NO MEANS comprehensive (i.e. - please read the book too! i don't wanna be blamed for being wrong!) and there's probably a few little errors on there - but if its of any help to you guys...

(its handwritten so I apologise for my handwriting! )

If you have the OCR skinny book (blue, cool pic of moon on it) theres great summary sections at the end of each chapter that are brill for revision; if ya dont wanna read the whole thing (i dunno what was up with the guy who wrote it - the text puts me to sleep!)

I can't upload it because its too big (870kB .pdf), but email me f l o w e r 5 6 7 {at} hot-mail /dot com (just to stp spammers) and ill send it to you as an attachment.

Hope this helps...
cheers dude ill email ya
Fluffstar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Ask some questions... I don't have cosmology notes (and I'm not going to type up what I know about it)... but I might be able to help you, as well as lots of other people.
yeah, um, how come the sun can be classified as a black body? :confused:
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by misty)
cheers dude ill email ya
actually never mind- thanks for the offer tho- my inbox is too full heh
Fluffstar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OK just found textbook it says "a black body absorbs all radiation that falls on it" - but surely the sun reflects some energy? or am I just being thick? :rolleyes:
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It absorbs all the radiation it gets, like a piece of coal. The sun doesn't appear black because it emits tonnes of energy as well (literally, tonnes... I worked this out in AS physics, something like 10^20 kg s^-1 mass are being converted to energy)
Fluffstar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
It absorbs all the radiation it gets, like a piece of coal. The sun doesn't appear black because it emits tonnes of energy as well (literally, tonnes... I worked this out in AS physics, something like 10^20 kg s^-1 mass are being converted to energy)
Cheers - makes a little more sense! and you can use Wein's displacement thingy to work out its temperature right?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and you can use Wein's displacement thingy to work out its temperature right?
If you know λmax, yeah.
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Cheers - makes a little more sense! and you can use Wein's displacement thingy to work out its temperature right?

"Wein's displacement thingy"

Is that in the syllabus? ive never heard of it- eeeeek :eek:
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by misty)
"Wein's displacement thingy"

Is that in the syllabus? ive never heard of it- eeeeek :eek:
Wein's law... the most intense wavelength emitted by the star is inversely proportional to the surfact temperature of the star:

lambda max * surface temperature = something like 2.898*10^-3 m K^-1
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
right- thanks- ill go look gi tup- cheers xx
Nemesis420
can some one tell me how to do time dilation experiment as i always get stuck on that question. what diagram should i show.
Rose in Bloom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nemesis420 what do you mean by time dilation....plz expalin cuz it sounds foriegn to me (you doing edexcel right?)
as for cosmology, check out this like its gr8!- it has links to other stuff!
http://www.asa2physics.co.uk/pages/U...sed_universes/
Nemesis420
noo i dont think u have to know this stuff, it so hard to learn this. it about Einstein theories.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (111)
79.86%
Leave (28)
20.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise