Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

driving test tips uk? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so i have my driving test next friday 4th march and ive started making silly mistakes that i dont usually make! i have a lesson on monday wednesday thursday then my test on friday so i do still have a few ours but im beginning to freak out about it! what did you guys do to help or anyone who didnt pass what did you fail on? im taking my test in edinburgh and any advice from anywhere will be helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Don't crash :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just try not to get nervous. I honestly think the actual test is based on luck. I failed the first time because I got really nervous and I had a really rude woman examiner (women are always more harsher imo). I passed the second time and I had a male examiner, he was really nice and we were talking throughout my test which helped as it calmed my nerves and I felt at ease. Just make sure your instructor goes through what's in the bonnet etc for the show me tell me element at the beginning. You'll be fine just don't stress about it and maybe ask your instructor to focus on elements you're not 100% comfortable with e.g. roundabouts, changing lanes. Oh and make sure you constantly check the mirrors during your test, because they like it when you're observant.

ReputationRep:
    With the mirrors thing, I got pulled up on not checking them, even though I was! So set the mirror slightly out so you just have to move your head a bit further to check, examiner cant miss you checking the mirrors.

Is a lot of luck though, get one driver that wants to help you and can have a negatively effect the whole test. Take your time and it will be alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1912)
    so i have my driving test next friday 4th march and ive started making silly mistakes that i dont usually make! i have a lesson on monday wednesday thursday then my test on friday so i do still have a few ours but im beginning to freak out about it! what did you guys do to help or anyone who didnt pass what did you fail on? im taking my test in edinburgh and any advice from anywhere will be helpful!
    Keep checking the mirrors, especially the left hand side one before turning left. Very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    Just try not to get nervous. I honestly think the actual test is based on luck. I failed the first time because I got really nervous and I had a really rude woman examiner (women are always more harsher imo). I passed the second time and I had a male examiner, he was really nice and we were talking throughout my test which helped as it calmed my nerves and I felt at ease. Just make sure your instructor goes through what's in the bonnet etc for the show me tell me element at the beginning. You'll be fine just don't stress about it and maybe ask your instructor to focus on elements you're not 100% comfortable with e.g. roundabouts, changing lanes. Oh and make sure you constantly check the mirrors during your test, because they like it when you're observant.
    thank you its mostly the manouvers an dual carriageway that im worried about! but thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BStew)
    With the mirrors thing, I got pulled up on not checking them, even though I was! So set the mirror slightly out so you just have to move your head a bit further to check, examiner cant miss you checking the mirrors.

Is a lot of luck though, get one driver that wants to help you and can have a negatively effect the whole test. Take your time and it will be alright
    great advice thank you i will keep posted on how my next lessons go and how i get on with my test! x

ReputationRep:
    The circle infront of you makes you turn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Keep checking the mirrors, especially the left hand side one before turning left. Very important.
    thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    have really good luck on the day
    I only have my driver's license because my driving instructor's good friend took me on my test
    I ****ed up but he let me off anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    have really good luck on the day
    I only have my driver's license because my driving instructor's good friend took me on my test
    I ****ed up but he let me off anyway
    aww thats lucky, thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Two paracetamol an hour before test. The examiner knows you are checking your mirrors based on how you respond to the information you see.Dual carriageways with two or more lanes, remember speed limits and lane choices, fails usually are based on close following, failing to overtake, or staying out of lane one.Mano's, you use the same skills to go forwards as backwards. If you can do one you can do the other, picture how you want the finish to be, and don't be afraid to correct an error.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poolheaven)
    Two paracetamol an hour before test. The examiner knows you are checking your mirrors based on how you respond to the information you see.Dual carriageways with two or more lanes, remember speed limits and lane choices, fails usually are based on close following, failing to overtake, or staying out of lane one.Mano's, you use the same skills to go forwards as backwards. If you can do one you can do the other, picture how you want the finish to be, and don't be afraid to correct an error.
    Good luck

Thank you! brilliant advice got my last full lesson tommorow before my test then an hour on friday morning, so nervous, my instructor says the only reason i may fail is nerves and making silly mistakees due to nerves so really trying to get my head in the right place for friday!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.