Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking through your partner/S.O's phone. Watch

TSR,

As of last week I've got myself a girlfriend.
    Through our dates when we've been in our "seeing eachother" phase, she would ask to see my phone, and look through my messages and such. - Which, as a guy with nothing to hide; I've been OK with.

During last weekend she looked through my pictures, and delved further into my phone.

But when I ask for the role to be reversed (as in, I look at her phone) she says no, and says that "there's nothing to see, I barely talk to anyone" or alternatives of similar content. I don't force her into giving me her phone, as I'm not that sort of guy, so I've just let it be. Problem being recently I've just been thinking about it, and all the "what if's"

Advice?

I guess it'd be beneficial to say we've been seeing eachother for 4 months prior to the relationship. *

ReputationRep:
    I don't accept those double standards, tell her she is not allowed to look at your phone unless she does the same. I don't see why it bothers you either way, if you're that insecure that you worry your partner is doing something with the phone you're already in an unhealthy relationship.

(Original post by whorace)
    I don't accept those double standards, tell her she is not allowed to look at your phone unless she does the same. I don't see why it bothers you either way, if you're that insecure that you worry your partner is doing something with the phone you're already in an unhealthy relationship.
    Will do, double standards are daft.
    I'm not insecure, I am merely inexperienced and am not used to trusting people that much, as I've always had to have my guard up before.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like she is quite insecure herself, either that or she is hiding something. However, if she was hiding something, why would she want to go through your phone - making me think that she is insecure about something.

Despite this, a relationship needs to have trust - so she needs to either trust you enough to not go through your phone, or trust you enough to let you go through her phone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.