Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think my Dad found out I like girls. Help?! Watch

I am very stupid and left my drawing book on my bed. My dad (is a clean freak) and likes to clean every single room. The sketch book was placed on top of my shelf. I don't know if he skimmed through the sketch book or not but it was definitely touched. It contained drawings of two girls kissing (I got really bored- and it was from a show that I absolutely love *the 100*). After I came home from school my dad was quiet and did not greet me 'hello' like he would always do. I was confused then, but I did not think of it. I went up the stairs only to see my room clean and tidy and started panicking as soon as I remembered I forgot my sketchbook. I put all the thought aside thinking that he might have just placed it on the shelves without opening it. Dinner time came, I told him that I wasn't hungry. After a good 10 minutes he shouted again but this time he was angry. I immediately ran downstairs and sat next to him with my other sibling (8 years old). He then said then started talking about 'How my lesbian was showing as I was not tidy and I was too active in sports etc.' I was totally taken aback since my dad never compared me to a lesbian before. I soon changed the subject and an hour later ran upstairs in my room. I couldn't help but let the tears out. That's when I kinda knew he did see the pictures in the art book. Today After I came back from school, he was in the kitchen dressed in his outside clothes. He said he had been out to his driving lessons and that he saw me with my friends (they are girls by the way) but I think he only saw me and one girl walk home as the other had left to take the bus. He asked why I was walking with her and why it was just with her. I said I wasn't walking with her alone and just dropped my other friend in the bus stop. He believed it I assumed but the thing that he said that struck me the most was he said 'I saw you's holding hands'. He had always viewed me and this person friends and just friends but today he told me something else. He wasn't angry, at first he was but I explained it to him but when he mentioned the hand holding, he didn't seem angry. It was weird how he made that up because me and this girl were really just friends and were not holding hands. Now I don't know what to do! I've been crying myself every night. I still ament sure of my sexuality. I assume I'm gay because I do like girls. I love my dad to bits and I don't want to lose him. But he's never directly asked me if I was gay or not. I'm really stressing out about this. I don't know what else I can do and don't say to have a nice long chat with my parents because I've done that before but it never worked. They never listen. I'm so confused. Sad. Angry. I don't think I can deal with the thought of him knowing that I am attracted to girls. I think I do, I'm not ready yet and he knows something I might not even know myself! I am still attracted to guys but I don't think he will believe me. I don't want it to be awkward with my dad. I don't want to be restricted from going out with my friends because of this thing. Help!

ReputationRep:
    You can't really do anything now, obviously there's nothing wrong with being gay but if you don't want your parents to know just don't make any indications either way and let them figure it out for themselves, if they are homophobic it might be best to wait until you are out of the house before telling them, some parents do just need a little time to adjust and never even consider this to be part of their child's life but regardless you can't change who you are and anyone who loves and cares for you should not expect you to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to first find out what you are yourself, seems your confused.

ReputationRep:
    I would just act as normal for while until you know yourself. My brother (who is gay) told us he was gay when he reached 26. However it can be hard to tell your parents especially if they are ant-gay or make comments about gays.

Keep your chin up!

ReputationRep:
    So your dad thinks that a girl who isn't tidy and is good at sports is a lesbian? Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    So your dad thinks that a girl who isn't tidy and is good at sports is a lesbian? Wow.
    Checks out for me

ReputationRep:
    If he saw Clarke and Lexa kissing too, he'd probably understand...

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know how to react. My dad teases me a lot about me being a lesbian now -which I am not used to, he'd tease me about having a boyfriend before which I didn't really mind. Honestly I can still see myself with a guy but I don't think he would understand that - he thinks bisexuality is complex. I feel very uncomfortable asking him to go out with my friends because he might tease me about it. I just want everything to be back to normal. I'm not ready to tell him anything and it just happened too sudden. If I told him the picture was nothing, he would obviously not buy it. But judging from my mum's expression today (my mum is a very very religious woman) she seemed very happy to see me and my sister so I guess he hasn't told my mum yet. I don't really think I can talk to my dad alone without expecting him to find a reason to talk about gay people -seemingly directed at me. He hasn't been that angry since but his emotions tend to change time to time. I just need to wait and see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it is his way of letting you know he doesn't have a problem with it? Like he doesn't want to call you gay, encase he's wrong, but he's being teasing to let you know he's not angry and doesn't know what else to say? If he was really not okay with it I doubt he'd even mention it.

However, you will know him better than me so I could be wrong, that's just my first reaction to this.

p.s The 100 is amazing and I *l o v e* Clexa :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Ever since my dad saw the pictures, he's been acting quite... Different. He's been so kind to me. It's too good to be true! But now he doesn't mention me being a 'lesbian' though. (I think I'm bisexual tbh) which I'm okay with. Yesterday, my grandma skyped me- she lives in another country- my dad was in my room at the time helping my little sister with something. My gran started talking about relationships wand was about to ask me whether I had a boyfriend or not but guess what happened next... My dad saved me from that awkward situation and diverted her attention towards him, and he started talking about gardening... something against those line. I'm actually so confused. Happy but confused and I'm just taking it all in before it last. Hope this doesn't turn out bad at the end. Fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.