Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I understand that according to league tables that the universities which offer IBMS accreditation arent among the best.
    I have had an unconditional offer from Sheffield Hallam and Aston University and have also applied to University of Sheffield and Uo Birmingham.
    I am undecided as to the course to go for.
    What careers will a non-accredited degree lead to? Would it be better pay than a Biomedical scientist in the NHS?

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    A biomed degree whether accredited or unaccredited can lead to a range of careers and jobs because you gain a load of transferable skills. No one can predict which will help you get better pay because it all depends on where your career takes you. You need an accredited degree to work as a biomed scientist in the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially lab work including diagnosis requires accreditation. Research work does not require it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by YselklaHosking)
    Essentially lab work including diagnosis requires accreditation. Research work does not require it.
    In reality this is false. IBMS accreditation really only serves one purpose and it's as a precursor to HCPC registration which is in order to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scicentist. There are benefits to being an IBMS member but in terms of career paths its only really applicable for your IBMS Certificate of Competence.

It's worth noting, you don't really get non-NHS diagnostic laboratories when it comes to healthcare. Even private healthcare go through NHS laboratories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RegisteredBMS)
    In reality this is false. IBMS accreditation really only serves one purpose and it's as a precursor to HCPC registration which is in order to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scicentist. There are benefits to being an IBMS member but in terms of career paths its only really applicable for your IBMS Certificate of Competence.

It's worth noting, you don't really get non-NHS diagnostic laboratories when it comes to healthcare. Even private healthcare go through NHS laboratories.
    What about spire healthcare and midland pathology services? Those are two examples of independent pathology labs in the UK.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Student3453)
    What about spire healthcare and midland pathology services? Those are two examples of independent pathology labs in the UK.
    Still applies.

There are very few private laboratories in comparison to NHS when you then compare that ratio to the private:NHS hospital ratio. The vast majority of private hospitals send their work to NHS laboratories.

Spire, for example, I believe they do do some minor routine work but send a lot to NHS laboratories. As an example. for TB investigation I believe the tender of that is in the Greater Manchester region so they send any samples for TB investigation to Greater Manchester. Not exactly the 'extra' experience you'd expect to get for your money. Essentially the exact same service but will probably take a little longer given that they'll send samples from all over the country.

Another example, The Doctor's Laboratory, I know they outsource their viral serology elsewhere.

Just because a private lab provides a result, that doesn't always mean they provided the test.

There are private lab jobs out there but for the topic we're discussing it's pretty irrelevant because they actually require HCPC registration anyway. I've had a few offered to me recently via recruitment agencies and they all require registration. Benefits are usually better, pay slightly better, but the repertoire of work is vastly lower so the work is far more mundane and you'll see far less exciting things.

ReputationRep:
    Without an accredited degree you can only be a lab technician. They still ask lab experience though. I am on my last year for a biological degree that was not accredited and without lab experience. I am not even getting interviews that since my last year I thought I'll start applying to related jobs. Take accredited and preferably uni that offers placement.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Fizzyfuz)
    Without an accredited degree you can only be a lab technician. They still ask lab experience though. I am on my last year for a biological degree that was not accredited and without lab experience. I am not even getting interviews that since my last year I thought I'll start applying to related jobs. Take accredited and preferably uni that offers placement.
    Lab technician is such a confusing term. People use it to refer to such a large range of jobs including Biomedical Scientist, Medical Laboratory Assistants etc.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.