Turn on thread page Beta

Timescale for applying for a TC (Final year non-law) watch

ReputationRep:
    Done with all my VS applications now. Lucky enough to get one VS offer so pretty pleased.

However, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and just hope that I'll get a TC off the back of the VS. I know I could have been applying for a straight TCs throughout this year but what I think has been holding me back with other applications has been my pretty standard academic history. So, having secured one VS I now want to focus on my degree and push for a 1st.

I would get my results sometime in June - but I'm worried that's leaving it a bit too late to apply for TC, even if the deadline is the 31st July.

My question is: can I realistically wait until I receive my final university marks and then apply to firms who have the 31st July deadline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawyer20)
    Done with all my VS applications now. Lucky enough to get one VS offer so pretty pleased.

However, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and just hope that I'll get a TC off the back of the VS. I know I could have been applying for a straight TCs throughout this year but what I think has been holding me back with other applications has been my pretty standard academic history. So, having secured one VS I now want to focus on my degree and push for a 1st.

I would get my results sometime in June - but I'm worried that's leaving it a bit too late to apply for TC, even if the deadline is the 31st July.

My question is: can I realistically wait until I receive my final university marks and then apply to firms who have the 31st July deadline?
    For some firms' applications, for you as a non-lawyer, they will be closed. Many firms are only open until 31st July for law students/graduates.

For those firms who will allow you to apply, really don't worry about being too late. The vast majority of people have to wait until they have their results before they can apply and most firms will not get the vast majority of their applications until July. You are in the same position as everyone else, so I wouldn't worry.

My advice to people is to start on applications once your exams are over. Then as soon as you have your results, add the marks in. 1) You then don't have a massive rush trying to make applications at the same time 2) it gives you a great opportunity to review your application with a fresh pair of eyes 3) you get your applications in quicker than the people starting from scratch when their results are released.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    For some firms' applications, for you as a non-lawyer, they will be closed. Many firms are only open until 31st July for law students/graduates.

For those firms who will allow you to apply, really don't worry about being too late. The vast majority of people have to wait until they have their results before they can apply and most firms will not get the vast majority of their applications until July. You are in the same position as everyone else, so I wouldn't worry.

My advice to people is to start on applications once your exams are over. Then as soon as you have your results, add the marks in. 1) You then don't have a massive rush trying to make applications at the same time 2) it gives you a great opportunity to review your application with a fresh pair of eyes 3) you get your applications in quicker than the people starting from scratch when their results are released.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks very much, very helpful advice.

Yeah I was aware that I would have to discount some firms due to their different deadlines for law/non-law undergrads.

Really good point about completing most of the app before and then just fill in your grades when you get the results. Will definitely do that, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, is there an appropriate way to mention that you have a vacation scheme in the application?

I'll probably be applying before I've completed the VS (middle of July) so I wouldn't be able to put it in the employment history section. Could I mention it in the additional information section, or in any other response to a question if I thought it was appropriate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Also, is there an appropriate way to mention that you have a vacation scheme in the application?

I'll probably be applying before I've completed the VS (middle of July) so I wouldn't be able to put it in the employment history section. Could I mention it in the additional information section, or in any other response to a question if I thought it was appropriate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's something to mention maybe but not set aside as something you've completed. You could talk about what it will entail, what departments you hope to spend time in, and what you think you will gain from the experience.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can put future work experience in if it is confirmed - there's just no need to into any detail about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.