Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a GCSE art, computer science and geography student and i have no idea where togo for work experience. I've emailed a TON of companies and have had no replies, I've called and gottent he same o
    Answer of 'no' so I'm honestly stuck. If it helos Id like to work in a graphics company, animation company, in the rior or fashion designer or at a law firm. I've honestly exhausted all of my resources,THE DEADLINE IS NEXT WEEK and i have to stay within areas in or just outside Manchester.

THIS IS A DESPERATE PLEA FOR HELP, PLEASE ALL I NEED IS A LIST OF COMPANIES THAT YOU KNOW OFFER WORK EXPERIENCE!*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Has your school not got anyone to help with this? I would phone a few companies. It's easy to ignore an email but if you are on the phone you're harder to ignore!

ReputationRep:
    I would get a teacher to read over your email/cover letter and follow up with a phone call. Approach small companies.
    Law firms might have legal issues with having someone young around - but I didn't mine in a paediatric ward so try your best.
    State that you are looking for insight and are willing to file etc.

And be open to other things. No one will care what your year 10 work experience was, so just try to pick somewhere fun!

ReputationRep:
    If you were applying for a placement at a graphics design or animation company im not surprised they haven't replied. youd end up serving coffee or filing as youd have zero experience and it would be a complete drain on resources to teach you from scratch for a week or two, thos are the places you want to apply for after a college course or during university as a placement.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    As has been pointed to above its most likely your application. Agree with getting a teacher/ careers person to look at your application. It has to have enough in to show them why you wnat to work there and what thye might get out of giving you the opportunity.

E-mail can be a lazy medium, unless you put effort in.

If you use the phone, then you need to have your cv/ letter ready to send to them.

Its very much at a firms discretion whether they have time to take you on. Look up the firms and then contact a bamed person. manager, creative dorector or someone who does the job you are most interested in. Spend a day making a list of about 50 companies and target your application i.e dont make it look just like a mailshot.

Maybe make soem contact with the Princes Trust or Manchester careers, the Chamber of Commerce or organisations which cover IT or fashion. Find out which ones really interest you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.