Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and Ethics, and Drama. I'm planning on dropping Drama after this year as it is more of a hobby than something I want to pursue. I'm concerned that I mainly read about only people who took all 3 sciences and maths or something like that getting into medicine. Is there anything I can do to put myself above people who are doing all three sciences and Maths? I've read a few medicine books and I'm going to talks/lectures- but would they look more at your in-school stuff rather than anything extra I'm doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdrowley)
    I'm currently in Year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and Ethics, and Drama. I'm planning on dropping Drama after this year as it is more of a hobby than something I want to pursue. I'm concerned that I mainly read about only people who took all 3 sciences and maths or something like that getting into medicine. Is there anything I can do to put myself above people who are doing all three sciences and Maths? I've read a few medicine books and I'm going to talks/lectures- but would they look more at your in-school stuff rather than anything extra I'm doing?
    I don't think they'll care what subjects you've done as long as you meet the requirements.

Stuff like good admissions test scores, good personal statement, work experience, volunteering, extracurricular activities etc will be of benefit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just make sure you smash the UKCAT/BMAT. Subject choices really don't have any impact, so long as you have biology and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much Some UKCAT and BMAT revision guides are next on my list to buy!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks very much Some UKCAT and BMAT revision guides are next on my list to buy!
    Wait until summer. Focus on year 12 for now!

ReputationRep:
    You definitely don't need maths A level! The maths you do at A level is mostly completely irrelevant to the maths you do in medicine haha, you 100% need a good understanding of GSCE maths i'd say, but thats pretty much as far as the level you need for med school. Anything particularly hard they should teach you anyway and there's usually always some sort of maths support program at the uni for anyone who doesn't feel as confident etc.

One thing i'd say about the benifit of taking A level maths is that it might make you more confident in doing maths as one thing i've noticed from the people who didnt take maths A/AS level is that they tend to think that they won't be as good at the maths as others but it doesn't take long for them to become confident again! Also if you're doing statistics it can definitely help particularly for certain research projects for coursework etc. but again, not essential.

If you enjoy maths definitely go for it, but if you're just forcing yourself because you think you need then there's no need. Biology and Chemistry i'd say are a must but other than that you could do anything else really! Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.