Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I am almost 30 years of age and last studied in 2004 @ A level where I obtained - Psychology (A), Eng Lang (B), Drama & Performance (A).

I would like to apply for university in either 2017/2018 for occupational therapy studying part time but have recently contacted the university and been told that i meet the entry criteria academically but due to having not studied for some time i would be required to attain additional qual.

I'm just looking for any suggestions really to give me the best chance of a successful application as there is only one university within an hour of me that offers OT part-time and with 3 children this would be my only option (if I'm being realistic). Also if I was to start an access course or distance learn if I only start this course in September how does this affect me applying to uni for the following sept if I haven't completed the course? I.e. Would I need to complete the course and have the results before I apply to uni?

Thanks very much
    Ashley

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ashley,

I'm currently on an Access course which I started last September and finishes in June.

I applied for uni starting in September this year. I have a conditional offer to start my course then. It is based on me passing my access course with the required merits and distinctions but you can apply before you complete the course.

Hope this helps,

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Hi Laura,

Thank you for your reply :-)

Have you applied for OT? What kind of access course did you do?

Yes I was just concerned that if I only finish the study in sept and then I am waiting on results I wouldn't be able to start uni for that September if you see what I mean it's another waiting game then but I guess I wouldn't really have much of a choice :-/ xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ashley,

I have applied for OT yes, and I am currently doing access on the Health pathway.

With access it's only 33 weeks long so you will finish at the beginning of June, uni's want to know your results by the end of July, so you should know plenty of time before September. It's a strange thing really that you start your access in September and pretty much apply to uni straight away for the following September.

If I could give you one piece of advice then that would be to get your 2 days of shadowing experience as soon as possible. It's a requirement for your uni place and people often leave it to the last minute and that makes it unnecessarily stressful, especially as the waiting lists can be quite long!

Hope that helps again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again Laura :-)

Yes I wasn't sure how it would work really I iust assumed that people apply when they have that access under their belt so to speak but maybe it would be better to wait and do some voluntary work and shadow days / uni visits in between. It's so new to me the whole study/uni thing again but if I want this career then it's all necessary and I guess you have to start somewhere at some point :-) xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ashley, You can apply to your local hospital for the work experience you need and fit it in around your access or you may be able to get some before you start.The access course I am doing is 15.5 hrs a week so there is cope to do days in the week or even if you do it on a college day it won't impact on your studies a great deal, especially if you get to do it at the start.Have a look what your uni of choice require from you beforehand as the 2 days may be all you need. I have only got those days and have a place so it's by no means a limiting factor to just have those. I am 34 and going back to college after 17 years was a massive shock to the system but like you say you have to start somewhere and it'll all be worth it in the end. I have met some lovely people at college and some of those will be on my OT course, so that's good to have friends going onto the next chapter with you.I'm more than happy to keep answering anything that you think will be helpful.Where abouts are you based?Laura

ReputationRep:
    Laura thanks ever so much you have been so v helpful! I'm 30 this year and last studied when I was 18 so again quite daunting I have two children so i am looking to have some time out with them and then start my access in 2017 I just still can't seem to get my head around when you apply to uni! When did you start your uni app vs when you started your access? Sorry to seem a little dumb I just am unsure with timings. It's very frustrating to have all the quals and more but have to do a year of study just to get in to uni because we are 'mature' students but I do understand they want to see that you are committed and still able to study :-) I live in St. Helens so I would be applying to Salford uni part time route :-) how about you? Xx

ReputationRep:
    It's no problem at all as it is a scary thing to do and you'll have millions of questions buzzing around in your head.

I started my course in September and we had a college deadline to finish the ucas application by, think it was about January but mine was done and signed off by December. You fill in your bits and personal statement and send it off to ucas who then get in touch with your college for an academic reference from your tutor. I had my interview at the end of January and heard back after 3 weeks , which was significantly longer than some who heard after only a few days!!!

You will get a conditional offer if you get through the interview, that will be based on achieving the credits they want and having done the shadowing they want too.

So you will start college first and then they will support you through doing your application after a month or so.

It is annoying having to get the access course done but it does prepare you for getting back into the mindset of studying again and also if you are like me then you'll be a bit rusty in essay writing so it helps to get you up to speed on what uni will expect of you.

I'm in Coventry so am going to uni here, assuming I pass my access of course ha ha

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh my sis lives just outside of cov in atherstone so I am down your neck of the woods quite a bit :-)

My hubby has been so supportive I am going to be giving up quite a well paid full time job to return to studies just one other question (so sorry you are right there are sooooo many in my head) but I have two young children and honesty you can be so very truthful with me do you think I can handle the amount of required study with a family? I would be going to college 2 days a week which I can manage with childcare then was hoping additional study req etc could fit in evenings and a few hours at the weekend? You can be completely honest I would rather go in to this with my eyes wide open :-) xxx

ReputationRep:
    My sister also lives in Atherstone, so small world indeed ha ha.

I'm going to be completely honest with you about access now, there are people on the course who work nights and then come into college during the day, there are people who have 1, 2 or 3 children some of which under school age and then there are people who don't work at all and who's children are at school.......it is completely doable with your situation. I'm not going to lie it is hard work doing the equivalent of 3 A Levels in 33 weeks and the course is relentless, but having said that there are plenty of ways of managing what needs to be done. Every 5 weeks you start a new module, so every 5 weeks you have assignments due or a couple of times it'll be exams. And each time will be an assignment for every subject, so 3.

There have been times where I've wanted to quit, times I've cried, times where I'm so stressed that I cannot sleep. BUT there have been amazing times, and when you get distinctions for your work it's soon forgotten. When assignments are due then you will have a heavy workload, the other weeks it's not so difficult. Time flies and I'm nearing the end of mine now but you definitely get out what you put in and it really is worth the blood sweat and tears.

I hope that I've not put you off because then end result is what you will soon reach and then the access will seem like adistant memory. A supportive husband will definitely help xx

ReputationRep:
    Wow I didn't realise it was a full 3 a-levels in the 33 weeks mine nearly saw me off and I didn't a care in the world back then!! ;-)

I can't thank you enough for your replies sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else searching and trawling through posts to try and find someone in a similar situation to you or hear that 'you can do it with kids'. One of my 3 a-levels is psychology so I'm hoping that may stand me in good stead for some of the units :-) wow essay writing ... I'm defo going to need plenty of practice hehe xxx

ReputationRep:
    You definitely can do it and having done psychology previously will definitely be a great help, it's the subject I struggle with the most.

I'm more than happy answering any questions you think of. It's not going to be easy but if I can do it then anyone can. The first assignment you do is like a practice one so you can get feedback and it sets you up for the next ones. I have 3 assignments I'm working on at the moment and I will be glad when they are done ha ha x

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks again laura you must keep in touch and let me know how you get on :-) good luck with everything and I'm sure there will be more questions if I've not already drove you completely around the bend!! :-)

Speak soon :-)
    Ashley X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.