Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am in my 1st year of college studying Biology, Chemistry & Geography and i want to become a doctor (a hospital worker like a surgeon, not a GP) and i don't know what course/s i need to do this - i need to know so i can start researching it. Please help?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean at university? Or things to support your application for university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzie97)
    Do you mean at university? Or things to support your application for university?
    What i need in university, so i can then find out the entry requirements for various universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by {TmB} Ashlin)
    What i need in university, so i can then find out the entry requirements for various universities
    Assuming you're studying A levels, you will need to get A's in your subjects. You need to apply to do medicine at university this October. You then may be invited to interviews and then may get offers.However, when applying for medicine, is it useful to have done relevant work experience (in a hospital, in a GP surgery - even if you don't want to be a GP, etc.). Also, before this September you will need to do the UKCAT and, depending on where you plan to apply, you may have to do the BMAT in November.With work experience, I would advise that you apply ASAP, it can take a while to get something arranged. Especially if you don't have any contacts in the field. Work experience is important (pretty much essential), it gives you something to talk about in your personal statement and in your interviews (if you get any).(I'm an A2 student, I study biology, chemistry and maths and I've got a conditional offer to start a medicine degree this October. Feel free to ask me more about anything, like about UKCAT and BMAT - I did both - and about interviews and stuff)

ReputationRep:
    What did you get at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am in my 1st year of college studying Biology, Chemistry & Geography and i want to become a doctor (a hospital worker like a surgeon, not a GP) and i don't know what course/s i need to do this - i need to know so i can start researching it. Please help?
    Degree in Film Studies

ReputationRep:
    You have to do either English or maths to be a doctor

ReputationRep:
    You do your PhD so that when people ask you if you're a Steven with a "p" you can tell then you're Steven with a "PhD".
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You need to do a Medicine degree.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you're studying A levels, you will need to get A's in your subjects. You need to apply to do medicine at university this October. You then may be invited to interviews and then may get offers.However, when applying for medicine, is it useful to have done relevant work experience (in a hospital, in a GP surgery - even if you don't want to be a GP, etc.). Also, before this September you will need to do the UKCAT and, depending on where you plan to apply, you may have to do the BMAT in November.With work experience, I would advise that you apply ASAP, it can take a while to get something arranged. Especially if you don't have any contacts in the field. Work experience is important (pretty much essential), it gives you something to talk about in your personal statement and in your interviews (if you get any).(I'm an A2 student, I study biology, chemistry and maths and I've got a conditional offer to start a medicine degree this October. Feel free to ask me more about anything, like about UKCAT and BMAT - I did both - and about interviews and stuff)
    Thank you very much for the help.
    I Have done work experience but only in a primary school, however my biology teacher told me about a possible work experience placement that i signed up for earlier today.

ReputationRep:
    What did you get at GCSE?
    B's and C's

ReputationRep:
    B's and C's
    Lolz, good luck

ReputationRep:
    B's and C's
    What did you get in maths and English?

ReputationRep:
    In reply to your message on my profile, I don't think Swansea do undergraduate medicine. Only graduate medicine (I think they do graduate entry medicine). Graduate entry medicine is another path into becoming a doctor. It is useful if your stats are seen as "not competitive", you can do a related degree (e.g. biomedical sciences) and then apply to medicine with your degree (either graduate entry courses or the normal medicine course - the latter is probably easier to get into, from what I've heard. You'll have to look into all this to be honest. Maybe talk to some who has taken this route, I am sure you could find someone on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    Lolz, good luck
    that's not very helpful :/ I know that the person doesn't have a great chance at getting in but that comment wasn't needed.

ReputationRep:
    Music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    that's not very helpful :/ I know that the person doesn't have a great chance at getting in but that comment wasn't needed.
    Nor yours.

ReputationRep:
    In reply to your message on my profile, I don't think Swansea do undergraduate medicine. Only graduate medicine (I think they do graduate entry medicine). Graduate entry medicine is another path into becoming a doctor. It is useful if your stats are seen as "not competitive", you can do a related degree (e.g. biomedical sciences) and then apply to medicine with your degree (either graduate entry courses or the normal medicine course - the latter is probably easier to get into, from what I've heard. You'll have to look into all this to be honest. Maybe talk to some who has taken this route, I am sure you could find someone on TSR.
    Okay thank you very much for your time and help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.