Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I break up with someone? Watch

We're both in our last year of sixthform and we'll hopefully be going to university in September.

I've come to the conclusion that being in a long-distance relationship would make me more unhappy than being single, so I think it would be best to break up.

When do I discuss this with him - should I avoid it until the exams are over? I don't want it to distract him from exams, and I'm in most of his classes so I'd see him every week day. We are both happy with the relationship as it currently is, so should I just enjoy it while it lasts and avoid any upset for now?

ReputationRep:
    Please avoid it until exams are over, if you do it before it you are an evil person who could ruin his academic life.

ReputationRep:
    Text him a minute before the exam

'You are dumped lol'

Then put your family on a plane because he might murder them

ReputationRep:
    I don't get you, you said your happy with the relationship now. But you want to break up surely that can't be the case. If it was you would want to be with him regardless of distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "You remind me of my ex"

But in all seriousness, I would recommend remaining distant until exams are over so he isn't distracted by the break up, honesty is the best policy but these things can be upsetting so idk

ReputationRep:
    It would be much much much kinder to wait until the exams are over. But if you are actually happy in your relationship, why end it because you THINK you'd be happier single than in a long distance relationship? You could wait and see where you both end up, and how it actually works out?

ReputationRep:
    Hey man. This is pretty difficult, I reckon you should leave it until the summer.
    However you gotta take a number of factors into consideration..
    Firstly, is it worth it? You mention that you are both happy so why ruin that?
    Secondly, is distance really a problem? You can FaceTime, Skype or even meet up on the week-end or when the term is over..
    Depending on how far your uni's are, I don't really see this as an issue.

Therefore you have to be honest with yourself. Is the idea of meeting new people and trying new things out like dating others enticing you? I mean it happens with everybody so you are definitely not alone on that one.

I support you, but you have to be realistic and honest - don't make a rash decision like that or you'll regret it big time. Just leave it for now and see how it goes and if you still haven't changed your mind then it probably best to let him go to find someone he deserves.

ReputationRep:
    Call him.

"DUMPED."

*click*

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them you want to break up

Hi, I am in the same situation with my girlfriend. We have spoken about it and decided it is best to break-up after exams. This is probably best for you too due to the fact breaking up before or during would cause unnecessary upset and stress which isnt fair at such an important stage. Plus long distance while being a uni could restrict your social life too, if you that is an important factor.

So speak to him about it and see what he says, but I recommend doing it after exams.

Hope everything works out

ReputationRep:
    Exams aren't until June, I really don't think he'll still be ****ed up from the breakup if you do it now, considering it's currently February. You're going to break up with him sometime, you've already said this. So you can either do it now, or spend the next few months with him constantly thinking about how you're going to break up with him. If you want to do it then do it.

(Original post by redleader1)
    I don't get you, you said your happy with the relationship now. But you want to break up surely that can't be the case. If it was you would want to be with him regardless of distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a tad complicated, our relationship feels closer to friends with benefits than anything because of how little effort he puts in, but I still enjoy being with him. I think he cares, but he's going through some scary stuff, so he is distancing himself from everyone, including me.
    I don't think our relationship is strong enough to withstand the distance, seeing as we're already distant despite living minutes apart.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am in the same situation with my girlfriend. We are breaking up after exams because before exams or during school would cause unnecessary stress and upset.

So enjoy the remaining months of the relationship and then break up after the last exam/during summer holidays. I reckon discuss it with him and see what he thinks, but I really recommend not breaking up before exams.

Hope everything works out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We're both in our last year of sixthform and we'll hopefully be going to university in September.

I've come to the conclusion that being in a long-distance relationship would make me more unhappy than being single, so I think it would be best to break up.

When do I discuss this with him - should I avoid it until the exams are over? I don't want it to distract him from exams, and I'm in most of his classes so I'd see him every week day. We are both happy with the relationship as it currently is, so should I just enjoy it while it lasts and avoid any upset for now?
    Like someone said wait until the summer preferably until a-level results day and if you still feel you can't do long distance then talk to him. What if you both get into the same uni?
    I would say you don't have strong feelings for him if you are using the distance as an excuse. I found being away from someone i like makes me miss them more then being with them every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holydude)
    Please avoid it until exams are over, if you do it before it you are an evil person who could ruin his academic life.
    I agree with this, but evil is a bit of an exaggeration.

OP it's not long until June, so just wait. It will be better that way imo

ReputationRep:
    Get a stick.

Call it "Up".

Got to someone and ask them to hold the other end of the stick.

Pivot wrists downwards in order to break "up" with someone.

Profit.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tad complicated, our relationship feels closer to friends with benefits than anything because of how little effort he puts in, but I still enjoy being with him. I think he cares, but he's going through some scary stuff, so he is distancing himself from everyone, including me.
    I don't think our relationship is strong enough to withstand the distance, seeing as we're already distant despite living minutes apart.
    There is your reason if you are already distant then being at different uni will increase it if he isn't putting any effort in.
    Wait till results day and then decide.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right you should have said that before. Usually if you like someone you want to be with them regardless of distance. But if your drifting apart now its different.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

hello there lovely, after reading your OP it sounds like your happy together, so if so why end it, I can promise you long distance relationships are not all they are slated to be.

I am currently in a 4 year relationship which has been long distance for 6 months. we are both first years, me at cardiff studying medicine and him at lancaster studying computer science. both are hard courses with high contact tim, and as were over 300 miles (4.5 hours train journey) away from eachother we dont see eachother everyday like at home.

It has been hard but we make the effort, we skype nearly every day, make sure we remain close by discussing our problems and everything we would normally do face to face. we see eachother every 3rd weekend (although im pretty sure this will decrease as exams roll around). It was hard at first adjusting, but because we loved eachother and were happy (even with a slight hiccup because of his mental health initially in freshers) we are better than ever.

LDRs are slated by the media and by other people, the thought is to go to uni means going out on the lash every friday/saturday and pulling all the boys/getting wasted and that being in a relationship will ruin this. I promise you, do whatever makes you happy, but if your happy in your relationship give it a try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Exams aren't until June, I really don't think he'll still be ****ed up from the breakup if you do it now, considering it's currently February. You're going to break up with him sometime, you've already said this. So you can either do it now, or spend the next few months with him constantly thinking about how you're going to break up with him. If you want to do it then do it.
    no thats quite stupid, her life seems fine, she can wait till june, he isnt trying to murder her between now and then so no need to risk it based on how we perceive he will react.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.