Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSc Conflict Studies (LSE) VS MA War Studies (King's): which one is the best for me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I now have three offers: MSc Conflict Studies at LSE, MSc Security Studies at UCL and MA War Studies at King's College London.

After my master's I'd like to do a PhD or MPhil / PhD in the field of conflict studies. I'm interested in conflict strategy, politics, military strategy and East Asia in particular.

I don't know which offer I should accept. My preference, in terms of courses they have is War Studies. Their department offers a great range of exciting courses and it is recognised worldwide.
    However, the name of LSE is generally even more recognised, and they do research methods which, if I won't manage to get to a PhD, will be a further employable skill I will gain (if I will get to a PhD I will receive the methods training during the MPhil).

So yeah, I was curious about hearing from someone who did any of these courses. Any opinion is welcomed, and if anyone has any suggestion on how to proceed in terms of research, please, your advice is more than welcomed. I'm graduating now (BA) and I'm already worried about research funds (I can pay for the MA / MSc but after that I will need to get a scholarship or research funds as otherwise I won't be able to sustain myself).

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go further into academia, then War Studies at KCL absolutely. Their department is world-renowned and absolutely well-known amongst the people that matter and experts in the field.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is good for an international aspect to their studies (I do an international History degree at LSE) and they do have modules for my undergraduate course that focus on East Asia. I think its similar for postgrad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.