Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What character in OMAM do you feel the most sympathy for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would say Lennie because I literally cried at the ending. What about you guys?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't care much for Lennie. Despite being a big child, he was still a murderer. I liked George and Slim.

ReputationRep:
    Curley's wife because she's forced by society to act in a promiscuous way and she can't stop Lennie from strangling her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Curley's wife because she's forced by society to act in a promiscuous way and she can't stop Lennie from strangling her.
    I agree. And the way she is constantly represented to be sleeping around on the ranch, despite the fact she's actually having a little 'fun' because she's bored of being controlled by her husband who doesn't let her out of his sight. And then there's the aspirtions she had the entire way through but never got accepted. The lack of power women during the time experienced, where her only level of dominance was over crooks. Really, she lived such a sad life, and was killed at the end. I was sobbing at the end of the book for that part. She opened up and was killed :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I didn't care much for Lennie. Despite being a big child, he was still a murderer. I liked George and Slim.
    I really respect George for looking after him. Do you think that he did the right thing to shoot Lennie?

ReputationRep:
    Lenny would be the most obvious,
    but I would say George and Curly's wife.
    George - because Lenny was the only person that kept George from being just another itinerant worker, and George knew this , hence his reluctance to kill Lenny.
    Curly's wife - she desperately wanted someone to talk to being the only female on the ranch, had to talk to Lenny in the end. She also had hopes and ambitions which were ultimately abolished in her attempt to find company in the ranch

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    I agree. And the way she is constantly represented to be sleeping around on the ranch, despite the fact she's actually having a little 'fun' because she's bored of being controlled by her husband who doesn't let her out of his sight. And then there's the aspirtions she had the entire way through but never got accepted. The lack of power women during the time experienced, where her only level of dominance was over crooks. Really, she lived such a sad life, and was killed at the end. I was sobbing at the end of the book for that part. She opened up and was killed :'(
    Precisely. I think Steinbeck perfectly portrayed the 1930s American society in Curley's wife because what happened to her as a character actually happened to many women in the 30s.

ReputationRep:
    Curley's wife, I just feel sorry for her. But why why why did she have to have a go at Crooks? I felt so so sorry for Crooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxeber)
    I really respect George for looking after him. Do you think that he did the right thing to shoot Lennie?
    He did the least wrong thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxeber)
    Curley's wife, I just feel sorry for her. But why why why did she have to have a go at Crooks? I felt so so sorry for Crooks.
    It was due to the patriarchal society that existed in the 30s. Although women were extremely degraded and objectified, they were above black people in society as black people were regarded as 'scum' and essentially, they were outcasts. That's why she was able to have a go at Crooks as compared to standing up to Curley or the other ranch members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    He did the least wrong thing.
    I agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    All of them, da feels
    I guess George, Curly's wife, Crooks

ReputationRep:
    It was due to the patriarchal society that existed in the 30s. Although women were extremely degraded and objectified, they were above black people in society as black people were regarded as 'scum' and essentially, they were outcasts. That's why she was able to have a go at Crooks as compared to standing up to Curley or the other ranch members.
    Yeah, I guess but she just took advantage of the level of dominance she had over Crooks, she just took all her anger out on him and that's just not fair.

ReputationRep:
    She used the little power she had in society as a white women to put crooks down by using the n word. Crooks is the real victim of the book

ReputationRep:
    George, as much as Lennie's situation was upsetting George really got the brunt of it and all he ever did was do his best for his friend with little reward

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.